It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible and Science Part 2 / The Science of Hydrology

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Have you ever studied the area of hydrology? Do you know what it is? Hydrology is basically the science that deals with the waters of the earth. Water is evaporated into the atmosphere, collected up in the clouds, and then redeposited on the earth in the form of snow and rain. Then a certain amount of it evaporates again, and it goes through the same cycle.

Some of it flows into runoff, into the lakes and or streams, winds up in the ocean, evaporates from the ocean, and the cycle just keeps repeating itself. Some of the rain and snow that falls seeps into the ground and, this is why we have the water table that's in the ground which also provides water.

The Bible has alot to say about the hydrological cycle of water being carried up and dropped back down from the clouds. This cycle really puzzled the world until the 17th century. In fact, until then, people believed in subterranean reservoirs. They thought there were huge inexhaustible reservoirs of water. They didn't believe that water could seep through soil and create those reservoirs. They didn't believe there was any way to replenish them. They figured they must be mammoth things.

The Men Mariotte, Perrault and Halley from England came in the 17th century and opened up the modern concept of hydrology. Water is taken up into the clouds, redeposited as rain and then seeps into the earth, creates the reservoirs of water in the ground, as well as runs off and fills the seas and rivers etc. Science discovered this and studied this. Evaporation, transportation, and precipitation and so on in the 17th century.

We find this science described in The Bible, in Isaiah 55:10. It says,

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there without watering the earth"

They do not return there it says without watering the earth. So there is the cycle, isn't it?
In Job, the first book ever written in Scripture, Job 36:27-28 says,

"For He draws up the drops of water; they distill rain from the mist, which the clouds pour down, and they drip
upon man abundantly."

Job 38:22 also says,

"Have you entered the storehouses of the snow, or have you seen the storehouses of the hail?"

The clouds store those things, said Job. Man on his own never really never understood until a couple of centuries ago. The oldest book in the Bible described the process of evaporation and precipitation.

God made the whole hydrological cycle. Of course He can explain it. There is no conflict with science there, only absolute accuracy.

edit on 28-12-2011 by CherubBaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
i dont have a problem with that but the bible is way wrong when it says there was a global flood.
ga.water.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

All well and good assuming that is, that we consider ourselves to be the most knowledgeable civilisation to have ever existed. An opinion I find hard to hold. We cannot build a pyramid like the Egyptians did, nor are we really sure of its purpose. Just one example but enough of an example I think to show that we do now know half as much as we would like to think.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10

Yes but a global flood in what sense? Take china for instance, floods of tears at the moment with their loss.
Can it not be taken in many ways?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
i dont have a problem with that but the bible is way wrong when it says there was a global flood.
ga.water.usgs.gov...

No actually The Bible isn't wrong regarding the flood. The link below will explain why scientifically it is very possible and just as believeable.

www.one-gospel.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Right, not a word was added to the Bible by totalitarian kings who persecuted scientists and stole their research and made it look like their own through divine inspiration. Or worse, pretending that the research was already in older scriptures and they 'translated' it.

Sorry, my sarcasme button broke reading about religious superstition trying to stay relevant.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

Right, not a word was added to the Bible by totalitarian kings who persecuted scientists and stole their research and made it look like their own through divine inspiration. Or worse, pretending that the research was already in older scriptures and they 'translated' it.

Sorry, my sarcasme button broke reading about religious superstition trying to stay relevant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------
CherubBaby Replies:::

I can only tell you what it says or you can read it for yourself. What century are you claiming this took place. Is there any record of this ? Any wittnesses? I am serious and not being sarcastic. Did these kings/rulers you speak of have a working knowledge of Hydrology and basic science? If so where can I find proof of that?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

As far as I am concerned, it could have happened the day before I was born. I know to not trust a church or their affiliates, hence I do not trust the books churches or mosques or synagogues propagate nor do I trust a word in them for their origins are not conclusive and too much money is made off it and too many people have been murdered through them.

For one, I know there was a British king that applied changes. I know monks who were filthy rich translated the first words. I know the Romans composed this religion out of fear. I know children who are indoctrinated by this religion, by their parents and they suffer socially and thus mentally and physically.

Welcome to the age of humans, logic and rationale. I hope anyone reading this is not one of those indoctrinated for their own sake, because if they are his post will not sit well with them.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

I just want to say your opinion is noted. I would think there should be errors throughout The Bible if what you claim is true. I have no doubt that you have Heard things as you claim. Have you heard of the people who are full of joy due to The Bible and Gods Wisdom and the changes that it has brought to their lives.? You paint a picture of horror and try to blame it on Gods Word? I am still waiting for the links or books that prove what you say. Until then , it's just one persons opinion.

P.S. Can we get back on topic?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I just want to say your opinion is noted.

It is not a baseless opinion, I sincerely hope you understand that before you cast your judgement.

I would think there should be errors throughout The Bible if what you claim is true.

And there are, but since the human mind is an interpretive one, those minds that are religious will interpret anything in a way to suit their own minds. I bet you do it with the contradicting parts in the Bible.

I have no doubt that you have Heard things as you claim.

Heard? As in hear-say? What you believe in stems from hear-say, what I believe in stems from life experiences and observations over the past two decades and counting.

Have you heard of the people who are full of joy due to The Bible and Gods Wisdom and the changes that it has brought to their lives.?

Have you heard that when they researched the brains of Apple-fans(the computers) and compared them to the brains of Bible-fans(or any other religion) the same parts of the brain were active? So consider this a warning before you claim that people are full of joy because of the Bible while it is their own brains tricking them into a sense of euforia that is best described as psychotic.

You paint a picture of horror and try to blame it on Gods Word?

No, I blame the people (like you) who propagate matters that they do not understand in order to recruit more believers and to indoctrinate others like they were indoctrinated.

Who says the Bible is Gods words when they were written by men? You? And you expect me to take this leap of faith because you have a big house? Your countries economy is doing good? Your military is powerful? Which one is it?

I am still waiting for the links or books that prove what you say.

And I am waiting for you to prove what you have stated:

- the Bible is Gods word.
- scientists and researchers were not persecuted by the religious crowd to the point of executions.

Until then, I will have to take what you say as one man's (unfinformed, unexperienced and unread) opinion.

This post is more on-topic than your opening post.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I am not judging you. I don't even know you. I simply stated what The Bible has to say about Hydrology. The accuracey of that statement. If you want to go into another topic, then start a thread and I will participate. I guess the question topically could be this. Is The Bible accurate in it's statements about Hydrology?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Good point! There's actually quite a few things in the bible that people during the time period that it was written in wouldn't have known. Strange, those that call the bible a myth are never actually able to explain that.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by britelite1971

Good point! There's actually quite a few things in the bible that people during the time period that it was written in wouldn't have known. Strange, those that call the bible a myth are never actually able to explain that.

And you obviously skipped all my posts because they do not reaffirm what you believe in. OP, how can you claim my posts are not on topic?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I never said all your posts we not on topic I said,,

I am not judging you. I don't even know you. I simply stated what The Bible has to say about Hydrology. The accuracey of that statement. If you want to go into another topic, then start a thread and I will participate. I guess the question topically could be this. Is The Bible accurate in it's statements about Hydrology?

Thats all I said and thats what I meant.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby

If the answer is Yes, so what? If you want to extrapolate and tell met that the rest of it is also accurate because you believe you can prove 1 facet is accurate you have a long hard road ahead of you. I will give you that the bible may be accurate in describing hydrology though. Mark one up for God, because I had always wondered what he had to say about hydrology....

You might think info is off topic, but it is already obvious where you are going with this thread and I think they just meant to cut you off sort of. I am all for you believing what ever it is you want to believe, honestly I am. Just don't expect everyone else to believe it too.

I wanted to expand on my "So what?" reply. From my understanding, all the text in the bible was written by man through divine inspiration, or other words they were channeling Gods word and putting what they "heard" on paper/tablet/stone what ever. But really this isn't any sort of proof that it was Gods word to begin with, as it came from a man and men are fallible. Not only that but the total collection of this work has since been translated and edited and made to fit someones agenda whether that was malicious or mistake, but we can assume it was done none the less. We also know there were plenty of times in history where 1 persons belief went against the belief of the rest of society so that 1 person was shunned and everyone told that belief was essentially wrong even though it was later proven to be right (flat earth, sun rotating around the earth, etc.)

So it is not totally unfounded to believe that the person that wrote what is in the bible concerning hydrology was just simply smarter than the average bear at that period of time and had incite into something that no one else at the time understood.

Now I am starting to confuse myself but I think I am really just saying so what? What do you believe that proves or disproves? Why do you personally believe it is significant?
edit on 12/28/2011 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Enjoyed your thread.
Am adding here a link to the discoveries of possibly 5 times the amount of water in the oceans below the earth. There are the biblical waters of Noah's time that came out of the 'deep.' Science is always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to the bible but eventually, as in this explanation, they get there and we need to encourage them as much as possible to correctly understand.

groups.google.com...

What precipitated the waters emerging from the deep is the deeper question and a timely one for us.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

Originally posted by CherubBaby

If the answer is Yes, so what? If you want to extrapolate and tell met that the rest of it is also accurate because you believe you can prove 1 facet is accurate you have a long hard road ahead of you. I will give you that the bible may be accurate in describing hydrology though. Mark one up for God, because I had always wondered what he had to say about hydrology....

You might think info is off topic, but it is already obvious where you are going with this thread and I think they just meant to cut you off sort of. I am all for you believing what ever it is you want to believe, honestly I am. Just don't expect everyone else to believe it too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------
I have three things to tell you. None of them were in my post and my post was not directed to you in the first place. None the less,

Why don't you tell me what is inaccurate since you brought it up.
Why don't you tell me "Where I am going with this thread" I didn't know I was going anywhere.
Did I say anything about Expecting anyone to believe what I believe?

If you agree the statement on hydrology is accurate, why not just leave it there?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

I just want to say your opinion is noted.

It is not a baseless opinion, I sincerely hope you understand that before you cast your judgement.

I would think there should be errors throughout The Bible if what you claim is true.

And there are, but since the human mind is an interpretive one, those minds that are religious will interpret anything in a way to suit their own minds. I bet you do it with the contradicting parts in the Bible.

I have no doubt that you have Heard things as you claim.

Heard? As in hear-say? What you believe in stems from hear-say, what I believe in stems from life experiences and observations over the past two decades and counting.

Have you heard of the people who are full of joy due to The Bible and Gods Wisdom and the changes that it has brought to their lives.?

Have you heard that when they researched the brains of Apple-fans(the computers) and compared them to the brains of Bible-fans(or any other religion) the same parts of the brain were active? So consider this a warning before you claim that people are full of joy because of the Bible while it is their own brains tricking them into a sense of euforia that is best described as psychotic.

You paint a picture of horror and try to blame it on Gods Word?

No, I blame the people (like you) who propagate matters that they do not understand in order to recruit more believers and to indoctrinate others like they were indoctrinated.

Who says the Bible is Gods words when they were written by men? You? And you expect me to take this leap of faith because you have a big house? Your countries economy is doing good? Your military is powerful? Which one is it?

I am still waiting for the links or books that prove what you say.

And I am waiting for you to prove what you have stated:

- the Bible is Gods word.
- scientists and researchers were not persecuted by the religious crowd to the point of executions.

Until then, I will have to take what you say as one man's (unfinformed, unexperienced and unread) opinion.

This post is more on-topic than your opening post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
CherubBaby Replies:::

Are you ok? I say your opinion is noted, you say Its not a baseless opinion. Who said it was baseless?
I say there should be errors if your claim is true. You say . There are. Show me where they are!!!!!
You say you blame people like me who proigate matters they don't understand to recruit ? What do I not understand? Who have I tried to recruit? Tell me.

You go on and on and on and you act like some frightened little boy complaining in fear about something that you are creating.
Did someone hurt you that shouldn't have or are you just willfully hatefull?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

After rereading my post I went in and made an edit to try and explain what I was thinking and where I was trying to go. Then I see your reply here so I will copy/paste what I just edited in and try and answer your questions at the same time. Also please believe I wasn't trying to attack your position even though I realize I came off less than friendly in my response.

I wanted to expand on my "So what?" reply. From my understanding, all the text in the bible was written by man through divine inspiration, or other words they were channeling Gods word and putting what they "heard" on paper/tablet/stone what ever. But really this isn't any sort of proof that it was Gods word to begin with, as it came from a man and men are fallible. Not only that but the total collection of this work has since been translated and edited and made to fit someones agenda whether that was malicious or mistake, but we can assume it was done none the less. We also know there were plenty of times in history where 1 persons belief went against the belief of the rest of society so that 1 person was shunned and everyone told that belief was essentially wrong even though it was later proven to be right (flat earth, sun rotating around the earth, etc.)

So it is not totally unfounded to believe that the person that wrote what is in the bible concerning hydrology was just simply smarter than the average bear at that period of time and had incite into something that no one else at the time understood.

Now I am starting to confuse myself but I think I am really just saying so what? What do you believe that proves or disproves? Why do you personally believe it is significant?

1. So what means what is the significance of this understanding? If we assume you are correct and that God/Bible/Men who wrote the bible while channeling God had a better fundamental understanding of the way hydrology worked than the rest of the population at the time what does that mean for us? Or what does that mean for the validity of the bible, or the religion? I don't think I said anything was innacurate although I do state above that I don't think it means much, even if it is accurate.

2.I assumed that your direction was to prove somehow that the men who wrote the bible at the time had no personal knowledge on hydrology and neither did the rest of the world so if it is in fact accurate in its assessment that must mean that the author did in fact have some kind of divine inspiration because the only way to possess that knowledge was from the creator of the system itself. Therefore if the author was indeed correct on this subject than we can safely assume they are correct about the rest of the subjects in the bible. Its my opinion that this would be a faulty line of reasoning and I would disagree with you.

3. You are right, no where did you say that you expected anyone else to believe what you believe. It was unfair of me to mention anything in regards to your beliefs or your expectations. I was working on the assumption that you were indeed a believer in the Bible and Christianity and that you were trying to prove a point and hopefully convince someone else of your beliefs with that point.

So apparently you are not interested (yet) in discussing any other subject matter related to the point that indeed "The Bible was right about Hydrology". And as I already stated, I will give you that what is written about hydrology in the bible may in fact be accurate.

So if we all agree that the Bible is accurate in describing hydrology is the thread over? Or was there anything else you wanted to discuss that might be related?

Sorry for making false assumptions on your intentions and goals. I obviously look like an ass.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
i am the floodgates of heaven. why did you not look for me. does the wind not seperate the waters of the earthen sea. likewise, i must bring the goats to my left, lambs to my right. who shall save this shepard from these wolves. why does the earth keep ignoring me. i am HE they seek. i CAN save you. i MUST be saved. i am their decimating protocol. they have stolen my brain. i reside here beside my killers. SAVE ME. it is blasphemy of the spirit. i have not loved since 12/99. do not forgive the USA. i must be confiscated with my brain. i am being EXPLOITED.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join