It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Wore Medal He Didn't Earn

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I've seen this story floating around for a couple of days. Interesting. Can't say with 100% certainty that its true. Could be photoshop. I report, you decide.

Bush photographed Wearing Air Force Award He Didn't Earn
By John Byrne

A closer examination of a photograph included in President George W. Bush's Air Force records, released by the White House earlier this year, shows then-Second Lieutenant Bush wearing an Air Force Outstanding Unit Award which he never earned.
www.rawstory.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
He is wearing a presidency that he did not and has not earned so why should a medal be any different?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I guess he must have earned it defending TX and AL from the VC!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I've seen theat image before in image searches...now I can't find it - I want to say the medal wasn't there before...I'll see if I can find it again

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Can never rule out photoshop in this day and age eh?

Sometimes I don't know what to believe anymore.

Look at how the wings cover the wrinkles of the suit and seem just a little too clean and bright.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Can never rule out photoshop in this day and age eh?

Sometimes I don't know what to believe anymore.

Look at how the wings cover the wrinkles of the suit and seem just a little too clean and bright.

Its not the wings...the Metal is the little rectangle one on the left...the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well - I found another website discussing this issue with the same photo - so I'm assuming it's real...
Here's what this website had to say:

IAW AF Instruction 36-2803, THE AIR FORCE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS PROGRAM

All assigned or attached people who served with a unit during a period for which a unit award was awarded are authorized the appropriate ribbon if they directly contributed to the mission and accomplishments of the unit.

Additionally, there isn't a "temporary" wear of AF Outstanding Unit Awards for AF personnel.

So to finally solve the mystery of the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, I contacted the Air Force History support Organization. I requested all dates of all awards of the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award received by the 147th Fighter Intercept Group and the 111th Fighter Intercept Squadron. The answer I received was shocking. This unit had received this award only once. The dates of the award are as follows quoting directly from the source at the AFHSO:

147th Fighter Interceptor Group AFOUA 1 Oct 73-30 Sep 75 DAFSO GB 164/77

111 Fighter Interceptor Squadron AFOUA 1 Oct 73-30 Sep 75 DAFSO GB 164/77

This states explicitly that the units received the Air force Outstanding Unit Award for the time period from October 1, 1973 to September 30, 1975. George W. Bush�s discharge date from the 111th FIS and the 147th FIG was October 1, 1973. Clearly, these units did not receive an award of the AFOUA until after George W. Bush had been discharged, and well after the date the photograph in question was taken.

This means, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that George W. Bush was photographed wearing a ribbon he clearly did not earn.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Its not the wings...the Metal is the little rectangle one on the left...the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award

Damn my ignorance of military ensignia! :bnghd:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
He is wearing a presidency that he did not and has not earned so why should a medal be any different?

Jonna I have to agree with you even it sound's funny, but the true can not be hide.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I don't think anybody needs to get worked up over Bush wearing an unauthorized unit award. It could have been an honest error on his part and if someone is going to pick an award to wear to bolster their image that isn't the one to pick.

When my grandfather was activated from the Air Force Reserves during the Cuban missile crisis and had to start showing up for inspections and whatnot he said that he couldn't believe the number of ribbons he rated. They were all unit awards and he had no idea what they were all about, except that he had to wear them.

When I got out of the Marine Corps, I requested an update of my awards and I still have the response that authorized two Navy Unit Citations, I assembled the display that you see below (which doesn't have the stars one places on ribbons to denote subsequent awards), with one star on the NUC. Later, I requested another update and for some reason the second NUC was not noted. I asked about the second NUC and no one knows why I rated two in 1971 and only one in 1985. It's just one of those things.

I don't display my awards but my ribbon bar still has the NUC with one star. I'd replace it, but what the heck.

So the point is this. If GW, while serving in his unit mistakenly put on an extra ribbon for a photograph, it's no big deal. But, don't get me wrong. Wearing unauthorized awards is taken very seriously and I have seen MPs jump Marines on the street for wearing unauthorized awards. Adm. Boorda, CNO, committed suicide when confronted with his having worn unauthorized "combat V's" on two of his awards. He was the highest ranking Naval Officer at the time.

David Hackworth was the individual who was going to expose Boorda and he was found to have listed on his site a couple of award he did not rate. It was revealed that his service record from which the information was taken was in error and he had never worn the awards.

Stuff happens and people make mistakes. Sometimes it's the individual and sometimes it's the system. Sometimes it's fraudulent; sometimes it's not.

And I'm not yet convinced the picture is authentic, but it does look pretty good if it is a fake.

[edit on 04/9/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It sounds like his UNIT won the award, and as a member of the unit he had the "right" to wear the unit medal... whether or not he contributed to it. Given the text of the notes revealed today (notes revealing that pressure was being put on unit commanders to give Bush a good rating in spite of their wanting to suspend him for being derelict to duty) I think this may be the case.

The unit won the medal while Bush was ... on vacation somewhere.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
GradyPhilpott,

I will have to give you this one, I agree with you I may have been a mistake during the photo take, I was wondering if the picture was alter to bring the medal as and issue, but perhaps the photo was taken during the time that he was serving in the guard.

Bush kind of looks like my brother and my father when they got their pictures taken after finishing their training. My father was army my brother was in the navy and their portraits looks like they could have been twins, with different uniforms.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Grady you are a Bush apologist. When Bush does something it is 'an honest mistake' , but with Kerry it is some insidious plot hatched decades ago for his political career.

GEORGE WEASEL BUSH STRIKES AGAIN.

CREDIT CARD REPUBLICANS FILE MORAL BANKRUPTCY . . . . AGAIN.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank Grady you are a Bush apologist.

Slank

The truth is that I have some very serious differences with Bush. I disagree with his position on the Gay Marriage Amendment, the Faith-Based Initiative, the Assault Weapons Ban, to name but a few.

I am unashamed however to defend the man against the mindless attacks launched against him here and in the media.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Grady you are a Bush apologist. When Bush does something it is 'an honest mistake' , but with Kerry it is some insidious plot hatched decades ago for his political career..

I'm sorry what was Bush's mistake here?

The outstanding unit award is a UNIT award. All current and subsequent members of the unit are expected to wear it.

So what did Bushie do wrong here?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
It sounds like his UNIT won the award, and as a member of the unit he had the "right" to wear the unit medal... whether or not he contributed to it. Given the text of the notes revealed today (notes revealing that pressure was being put on unit commanders to give Bush a good rating in spite of their wanting to suspend him for being derelict to duty) I think this may be the case.

The unit won the medal while Bush was ... on vacation somewhere.

The article states this award was given AFTER Bush was discharged, and the picture taken LONG before the medal was awarded to that unit. And Grady, it is true, you do go out of your way to defend Bush, why? He weaseled his way out of the war you were brave enough to serve in, and although John Kerry also served, you hate him for speaking out against the war, but seem to admire, or at least support a man wo used his family status to avoid the war, and what about Cheney's defferments? Why do you defend these cowards?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
And Grady, it is true, you do go out of your way to defend Bush, why? He weaseled his way out of the war you were brave enough to serve in, and although John Kerry also served, you hate him for speaking out against the war, but seem to admire, or at least support a man wo used his family status to avoid the war, and what about Cheney's defferments? Why do you defend these cowards?

I have written extensively on my views of Kerry and Bush. I do not consider Bush to be a coward. I don't know what Cheney did during the war and furthermore I don't care.

The question should really be, "Why are Vietnam Veterans suddenly so popular with the left? We have been slandered and lilbeled and represented in the media by the left for 30 years as time bombs and baby killers. Suddenly, we are heroes because Kerry is running for President.

I came to grips with the conduct of my generation during the Vietnam war long ago. I voted for Bill Clinton once. John Kerry's service in Vietnam might impress you, but knowing what he did to us when he came back, I am not impressed. I have known hundreds of men who are far more heroic and honorable than Kerry is who never won an award for valor or even saw combat. I have known very many who were heroic in combat and never were awarded a medal for valor and are more honorable than Kerry. I have known homeless drunks who are more honorable than Kerry.

Get off the Vietnam kick. I'm proud I served and I have always been, but I am not Presidential timber and neither is John Kerry. What's the big deal?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I have a question:
Is anyone sick and tired of the media hoopla over records that are older than many who post here?
Why won't they get on with our lives...and deal with the world today.

And, it's basically Kerry and the DNS fault. I thought for sure we were done with Bush's record in 2000?

*end of rant*

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
You know even when most of my family members has served in the military and I also Married in the military, politics has never been an issue in our home until now we are divided and is just pityfull.

What is wrong with this election year that is getting into everybodies nerves?

Even I am bashing about.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
The article states this award was given AFTER Bush was discharged, and the picture taken LONG before the medal was awarded to that unit.

I've been researching this and I believe I am on to something...

The Air Force Historical Research Service Organization confirmed that the 147th Fighter Intercept Group and the 111th Fighter Intercept Squadron received an Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for the time period of 1965-1966, two years before Bush joined the service.

I'm attempting to find a way to contact this group to verify. If the AFOUA was given in 65-66 then someone jumped the gun here because Bush would be entitled to wear a Unit award.

What we need is a military website showing what units received these awards and when. Any ideas?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join