It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favorite scene, character or quote from the movie The Godfather?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This is my first thread, so be gentle. The Godfather is my favorite all-time book, so I wanted to talk to some likewise thinkers and see what scenes, characters or quotes struck you the most.

I gotta go with Luca Brasi; that dude was nuts and loyal for no reason except that he found someone who was badder than he was in Vito Corleone.

Favorite scene was in part 2 when Micheal looks at Neri and gives the go ahead to kill his big brother Fredo. Awesomeness at it's finest. Subtle and yet powerful.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Sal: "Tom, can you get me off the hook? For old times' sake?" / Tom: "Can't do it Sally"

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Nice one! Poor Tessio; he was always the smart one...too smart for his own good in the end though.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
"Leave the gun, take the cannolli"

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tabularasa

Did you know the guy who portrayed Clemenza actually ad-libbed that? Genius. Paulie got what he deserved for his part in trying to take out his Don. Tsk, tsk. Thanks for adding.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Too many great quotes from the series to come up with one. But one of my favourite scenes is where you see Michael at strength taking the role as the Godfather having to lie to Kay, I think in the films it is the last scene of part one.

Michael: All right. This one time I'll let you ask me about my affairs.
Kay: Is it true? Is it?
Michael: No

After this Clemenza and the boys walk in and kiss his hand reminiscent of his father in an earlier scene.

Brutal and beautiful.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
DP

edit on 28/12/2011 by LestatG because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
“Every time I think I am out , They pull me back in”

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The bit at the end where Don Corelone is playing with his Grandson. It showed that despite him being this kind of cold guy who could 'make you an offer you can't refuse', he was a sweet guy who was only really looking out for his family. It setup the second film perfectly, where Michael Corleone became the opposite, the sort of character who'd even kill his own brother.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Are you talkin to me ? (italian accentuated)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The Godfather is my all-time favorite movie!! My favorite scene is the opening scene...when the undertaker begs for justice in retaliation for the brutal attack on his daughter...he asks for murder..and Don Corleone is insulted...the ENTIRE opening scene sets the motion for the entire movie...it should win an Oscar every year!!

Great post!!

"Never speak outside the family".

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomKnight

Hey, I'm putting you on my friend list cause you obviously have awesome taste in movies.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
At the end of God Father I and God Father II when Michael Corleone 'takes care of all family business' and wipes out everyone who has wronged him and his family. God Father I and II are my favorite movies of all time.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelligenthoodlum33

Did you know the guy who portrayed Clemenza actually ad-libbed that? Genius.
I didn't know that, thanks for bringing that to my attention.. I love reading about things like that and found the source article:

"The Godfather Wars", Vanity Fair

The magic was the lucky result mainly of a series of accidents—Coppola’s vision of the perfect cast and crew; misunderstandings between the director and the executives; the strange camaraderie that grew between the moviemakers and the Mob; and a number of priceless ad-libs by actors that turned what was supposed to have been a low-budget movie into a masterpiece. Examples: “Leave the gun,” Richard Castellano, as Clemenza, orders his henchman after they take out the traitorous Paulie Gatto in a parked car. “Take the cannoli,” he then adds in an inspired ad-lib. “Twenty, thirty grand! In small bills cash, in that little silk purse. Madon’, if this was somebody else’s wedding, sfortunato!,” Paulie Gatto, played by Johnny Martino, adds unscripted in his fluent Italian, about the opportunity for stealing at Connie Corleone’s wedding. When Al Martino, as the whimpering Johnny Fontane, cries over the role the big-shot producer won’t give him, and Brando barks “You can act like a man!” and slaps him, the slap was Brando’s spontaneous attempt to bring some expression into Al Martino’s face, according to Johnny Martino, who had rehearsed with Al (no relation) the weekend before. “Martino didn’t know whether to laugh or cry,” says James Caan.

edit on 30-12-2011 by tabularasa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Excellent find! I'd give my right arm to have been in that movie.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
"My name is Vito Andolini and this is for you!" When Don Corleone returns to Sicily and finally takes revenge on the man who killed his father, mother and brother.

edit on 5-1-2012 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, that was one gruesome scene. After what that Don did to Vito's family he deserved it; in fact, it was long overdue.

top topics

join