It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain’s Borders Could Be Temporarily Sealed: Daily Mail Story From 12/28/2011

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

Noticed you did not touch upon the Opposition groups to such groups as the EDL or the BNP.

The point I am getting across the Anti Fascist Groups have their own extremists within them as much as the BNP or the EDL do.

Not to go off topic. Wont other Countries see this sealing of the UK Borders as Protectionism. And do the exact same thing, hence jeopardizing more of the UK's exports and jobs.
edit on 29-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mackey1224uk

Hi mate,

I'm from the south but work in Belfast and am of the nationalist persuasion. To be honest I understand your fears but that will never happen in the event of the UK sealing its borders to other EU nations in the event of a Eurozone collapse for a couple of reasons.

a) Ireland, the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man have a common travel area agreement which as far as I know dates back to the 1930's and I doubt that the UK would repeal that in the event of an Eurozone collapse as that is separate to the EU treaties.

b) The Good Friday Agreement would be breached if such an event occurred as this again allows free travel and movement of peoples between the North and South of the Island of Ireland and I can't see the UK government breaching the agreement and all the trouble that would bring when it can easily still allow the common travel agreement to exist whilst reneging on the EU treaties in the event of border closure.

c) The biggest ethinic immigrant group living in the South is British citizens - approx 500K out of a population of 4.5 Million - can't see the British Government cutting off this population for no good reason. Also one of the biggest ethnic Groups in the UK are Irish citizens.

d) The Republic of Ireland accounts for more trade with the UK than Brazil, Russia, India and China combined - again it would make no sense for the UK to cut off all this trade through a border closure with the South.

e) 60% of the worlds hedge funds are domiciled in Dublin and have direct trade links with the city of London - the UK would be insane to again cut off the free movement of people between the 2 cities and collapse the City of London.

I don't think there is much of an appetite for war anymore - and this coming from a guy who got a glass smashed in his eye at an xmas party for having the wrong accent in the wrong part of town - I was with some unionist work colleagues by the way who were very ashamed and apologetic for what happened to me. At the end of the day - I don't agree with their political persuasion and they don't with mine but we are all mates and bar some friendly slagging that we have with each other I can't see them or I ever picking up a gun against each other in any circumstances and as I'm sure you know on both sides, the armed factions or those willing to use armed violence are limited to a small minority - although they can cause a lot of trouble I can't see things ever going back to the 70's.

Last word on the matter would be - that at the end of the day despite the historical differences the Irish and the British in difficult times tend to stick together - in both world wars a significant no. of Southern Irishmen joined the British army and still do. George Osbourne in turn was the only finance minister at the G20 meeting who stood up for Ireland wishing to burn the bondholders of private banks which was vetoed by Timothy Geitner and saddled the South with an unbearable Debt Burden. For those of us who thought the U.S. was our friend we found out that it wasn't but in fact the U.K was.

Happy new year to you!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

sorry i meant my local elections

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

Thanks for shedding light on that, i had no idea - i now kind of understand the implications of this matter if it was put in place, and also find it stupid if we did such a thing. Ireland contributes to our economy like no other.

To say Ireland's population is about 4-5million, they do a great deal for us, and i welcome any trade. They have a good way of living, family wise, home wise, economies abit touchy but arnt all western countries. . what im getting at here is Ireland has 4.5 million people who want to stay in their own country, make it better and progress together - wheres as the majority of people from Europe, in poverty stricken areas:

lituania 3.3million
ukraine 45.7million
romania 21.5million
bulgaria 7.6million
poland 38.9million
latvia 2.3million
estonia 1.3million
albania 3.6million

All want to go somewhere else, to send money back home. This is a great number of people wanting a better life, but in effect - smash our economy to bits in the same breath by creating cheaper labor. We're pretty much importing poverty, displacing our own citizens from employment.

I think immigration is brilliant but why do we let people through our borders, in these massive numbers - who are not contributing what our own citizens wouldnt? O.k if they bring something of higher education to our country, like doctoring - but their not, there here for cheap labor which is allot of money in their eyes - all to send back home.

My street has only Polski and Lithuanian people living in it - i dont dislike this at all, and i go round to some of their houses - they are very very nice people (bare in mind im mixed race and they never had people of color in their own countries) But what they were doing was saving for a better life in their own country, sending money back to their wives, children & parents.

I can only imagine the amount of money our country has lost out because of the mass immigration. I dont blame the people looking for a better life, i blame unelected officials in Brussels dictating who should be allowed in.

With what you stated, i see the sense in having our borders, open. BUT - we should see this as a time to bring real change in the criteria of people we let in - not just anybody, that is wrong. We're pretty much the best country out of all the European union, so the majority want to come here. This is THE problem

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

As you point out they certainly won't be closing the borders within these Isles.. I have often wondered what % of the much quoted 40% of exports flowing from the UK to the EU are in reality going to the Republic! No one quantifies where those exports go.

Tho any closure of UK borders will I suspect hurt you guys a lot!

I used to work in telecoms and the distribution network I worked with (some 50 Global Manufacturers) works like this, the product lines are imported from North America or Asia into the Republic and held in major distribution centers, the products are then sold to distribution centers in the UK, which then sell those products to resellers in the UK and distribution centers on the continent.

It seems to me we (as in globally) rely on that box shifting far to much and given that the streams I worked on totalled around £3bn - £4bn pa any breakdown in the supply chain is going to hurt a lot of people.. something to be honest I am not looking forward to, but it seems to me we are all in between a rock and hard place at the moment, and we really need to make more things on these isles and not shift other peoples boxes.

edit on 29/12/11 by thoughtsfull because: crappy grammar and lack of clarity

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by Mclaneinc

Not to go off topic. Wont other Countries see this sealing of the UK Borders as Protectionism. And do the exact same thing, hence jeopardizing more of the UK's exports and jobs.

They can see anything if they are creative, but restrcting entry to citizens of other countries is not called protectionism. The others are free to reciprocate with the same gesture and most probably will, but it won't affect UK's exports. British citizens working in other countries that impose the same restrictions may have to return to the UK though.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

You surprise me,the 'brain drain' from Ireland to other countries has been reported upon many times over the last couple of years since the country started suffering financial problems - are you saying you don't think this is the case?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by supamoto
"Don't beleive the hype".
When it comes to politics this newspaper is know for lies and false info'.
They are pro-government & are rumourmongers of the worst kind.

This just beggers belief, yet another banking scam, the British tabloids are instigating a bank run, the British expats will be reading this BS and they'll be transferring ALL those life savings & retirement funds right back into the British banking system

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Social issues in Scotland, the Government up there are mostly concentrating their resources to rid the country of sectarianism, not the influx off European worker.s

No they are not...i'd like to know how you come to that conclusion? Sectarianism is an issue in Scotland because of Rangers FC and Celtic FC but its not the Scottish Governments priority.

The Scottish governments priority is Scotland...something the government in Westminster could do with taking notice of.

The Scottish Government and a lot of its people are more concerned with voting for independence to rid our selves of the corruption and unfair treatment of the Scottish People through a voice in England.

This is and will be the concern of the SNP since they were voted into power in a majority government by the scottish people.

Most up here don't really have an issue with Europeans coming into our country because we embrace multi culturism, it is good for the country. It generates revenue, it secures business links and premotes trade.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by count66
reply to post by mackey1224uk

Hi mate,

I'm from the south but work in Belfast and am of the nationalist persuasion. To be honest I understand your fears but that will never happen in the event of the UK sealing its borders to other EU nations in the event of a Eurozone collapse for a couple of reasons.

a) Ireland, the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man have a common travel area agreement which as far as I know dates back to the 1930's and I doubt that the UK would repeal that in the event of an Eurozone collapse as that is separate to the EU treaties.

b) The Good Friday Agreement would be breached if such an event occurred as this again allows free travel and movement of peoples between the North and South of the Island of Ireland and I can't see the UK government breaching the agreement and all the trouble that would bring when it can easily still allow the common travel agreement to exist whilst reneging on the EU treaties in the event of border closure.

c) The biggest ethinic immigrant group living in the South is British citizens - approx 500K out of a population of 4.5 Million - can't see the British Government cutting off this population for no good reason. Also one of the biggest ethnic Groups in the UK are Irish citizens.

d) The Republic of Ireland accounts for more trade with the UK than Brazil, Russia, India and China combined - again it would make no sense for the UK to cut off all this trade through a border closure with the South.

e) 60% of the worlds hedge funds are domiciled in Dublin and have direct trade links with the city of London - the UK would be insane to again cut off the free movement of people between the 2 cities and collapse the City of London.

I don't think there is much of an appetite for war anymore - and this coming from a guy who got a glass smashed in his eye at an xmas party for having the wrong accent in the wrong part of town - I was with some unionist work colleagues by the way who were very ashamed and apologetic for what happened to me. At the end of the day - I don't agree with their political persuasion and they don't with mine but we are all mates and bar some friendly slagging that we have with each other I can't see them or I ever picking up a gun against each other in any circumstances and as I'm sure you know on both sides, the armed factions or those willing to use armed violence are limited to a small minority - although they can cause a lot of trouble I can't see things ever going back to the 70's.

Last word on the matter would be - that at the end of the day despite the historical differences the Irish and the British in difficult times tend to stick together - in both world wars a significant no. of Southern Irishmen joined the British army and still do. George Osbourne in turn was the only finance minister at the G20 meeting who stood up for Ireland wishing to burn the bondholders of private banks which was vetoed by Timothy Geitner and saddled the South with an unbearable Debt Burden. For those of us who thought the U.S. was our friend we found out that it wasn't but in fact the U.K was.

Happy new year to you!

Hi my friend.

I agree with you 110%.
Relations between London, and Dublin have never been better, especially when the Queen, visited the South.
I honestly believe if the SHTF does happen the UK an Ireland will work together against Europe, sealing up the British isles.
As you say. The trade between the two and the Brits living in Ireland and the Irish living in the UK. We're way to connected now, we need to look out for each other.
Dublin, knows fine well the eurocrat banksters stitched them up to steal the Irish wealth an take away all powers from Dublin to Brussels.
We'll see what happens in the future. Only time will tell.

Happy New Year to you and your family

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JudgeDeath

absolutely agree ! ..........all part of the never ending media driven dumbed down devolution !! More drivel for the drones eh ? when will it ever change I wonder ?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Your asking me how I come to this conclusion. I live in Scotland dude, yes the Scottish Government is concentrating on the Independence issue, they are how ever concentrating on the Sectarianism issue also, with the increase in the severity of singing IRA songs or UDA songs at football games as well as on the street. Unless I have been watching the wrong news and all of it was a dream.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Yes, i have already admitted they are "working on the sectarian issue" but to say its a priority is a bit over exaggerated, and possibly the fault creating the opinion you have on the issue is that you are watching the MSM.

Don't you think the SNP government has more pressing issues for Scotland? Things such as renewable energy, Independence, NHS Care, Budget Talks with England etc etc...

Sectarianism being so prevelant in the MSM is because it creates good news reporting and higher audiences due to the sheer number of football fans in Scotland.

If you watch local news i.e. STV for North Scotland, sectarianism is very rarely in it at all, however, Reporting Scotland has it a lot...why because its biggest audience is the central belt, which also happens to be where most of the Celtic/Rangers fans are...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
makes sense when all the countries around you are burning down to the ground,

to firewall urself!

cuz u know the fiercest rebels & come running ur way to wreak more bloody havoc!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join