It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain’s Borders Could Be Temporarily Sealed: Daily Mail Story From 12/28/2011

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

while I disagree with you if things get this bad you may get your wish

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
I think I speak for the majority of England when I say "WE WANT YOU OUT!"

You might be right there, maybe you do speak for the majority of England but your sure don't speak for the Majority of the UK.

There is nothing wrong with foreigners living and working here...if they are taking the jobs, which they aren't (they are taking the jobs none of the Brits will do because Brits are too proud i.e. care home work etc), then the UK citizens who are jobless need to get the finger out and take anything that's going. It's life, deal with it. You and every other UK citizen have the choice to move as do the Poles, Danish, Latvians etc

You'd be doing yourself a favour if you ditched your BNP style attitude and actually began to respect other peoples (irrespective of country of birth) situations and realised they are trying to feed their family, just like you!!!
edit on 28/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
As far as I know, the UK doesn't have as any land borders with any other country. So am not sure what this "sealing the borders" means? Are they going to make visa a requirement for entry to europeans of specific memebr states of the EU who today don't need a visa? Are they going refuse entry to all kinds of foreigners, except say diplomats etc?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Observor

doesn't Ireland count as a country anymore?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

You forget that Great Britain has had 2000 years of invasion,immigration and the infusion of foreign ideas have created the Britain we know today. We are a Mongrel nation and thats what makes us so great.
I work with Polish people and they are great people. I think you do not speak for the majority just yourself and others like the BNP.
Stop reading the Daily Fail....

The real issue is not immigration, it is segregation.. with various people from around the globe be it polish, Romanian, Somali, Kurdish etc forming little groups of their own nationalities rather than integrating into British society.. many dont even bother to learn the language..

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Whats the crack with being able to leave exactly?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

We do the same in Spain etc, but I do agree with you but like my Polish pal says as soon as people hear an accent they turn all Daily Fail like....
Its human nature to live in communities where the people are like you, but I do agree they should all learn english.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observor
As far as I know, the UK doesn't have as any land borders with any other country. So am not sure what this "sealing the borders" means? Are they going to make visa a requirement for entry to europeans of specific memebr states of the EU who today don't need a visa? Are they going refuse entry to all kinds of foreigners, except say diplomats etc?

The republic of Ireland has a land border with northern Ireland which is part of the uk

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Sounds like the Daily Mail telling their reader base what they want to hear.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir

Oops! My mistake.

So are they sealing the border with the Republic of Ireland?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Creating contingency plans can only be a good thing and any country NOT doing the same are actually quite foolish. They should be thinking of the possibly, not too distant future.

Alot of you are reading far too much into this, just because they say that closing the borders is something being drafted into some plans is being looked into, does that mean it will actually come into fruition? And in which way? I severely doubt that it would be a total block/shut all airports and docks/nobody leaves or enters indefinitely, 'end of' kind of thing, more like shutting the borders to non holiday makers and trying to stop people coming over to make use of whatever benefit they might achieve. And i doubt it will last very long.

If i was making contingency plans for another country such as Greece, the last thing i would want would be for all my populous to disappear to nations thats economy hasn't gone through the same. As then you have no building blocks to revive the economy without the Euro.

Overall, i'm glad that the Govt. have plans to stop an influx of unwanted and unneeded refuges if the Euro goes down, the last thing we would want is the possibility of say half a million refugees from across eastern europe in a short space of time.
I for one, have no problem with immigrants to our island nation as, some are quite nice people. But i don't think we have what it takes for a possible influx of masses more, closing the borders afterall, would be the best thing

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Misterlondon

We do the same in Spain etc, but I do agree with you but like my Polish pal says as soon as people hear an accent they turn all Daily Fail like....
Its human nature to live in communities where the people are like you, but I do agree they should all learn english.

totally agree with you it is human nature.. but it has become a problem here, there are now simmering tensions below the surface in the uk..

my personal belief is that if you move to another country you should integrate into their culture.. ive lived and worked in Ireland, Australia and France.. And i actually went out of my way to avoid Brits, trying instead to get to know local 'native' people.
In France they have the right idea, if you don't speak French they will not speak to you, even if they speak English.. At times this caused frustration but it is understandable and im glad it is that way, now i have no problem communicating in French.

I'd also like to add, I do also understand the frustration of the British people.. since the infux of immigrants over the last decade or so (cheap labour) the wages have dropped, working hours have gone up and working conditions and rights have got alot worse.
I worked closely with a company 2 years ago that had a huge Romanian workforce, they were actively asking the Romanians if they had friends in Romania that wanted to work in the UK, paying for their flights and employing them the moment they arrived. (they worked longer hours for less pay and would take alot more crap)
Over the course of a year or so, this company had weeded out all the British people through various means (some working there for many years) and is now predominately (85-90%) Romanian..

This is just one example and im sure its not an isolated indecent.. Which i always felt was wrong..

Having said that, i have lived and worked abroad and my parents emigrated here from Ireland to work in the UK, so I do fully understand the whole immigration thing and would never blame the individual.. But there are also to many coming here just to drain the system and live on benefits for which the government that is to blame..

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Oops! My mistake.

Although there is a border on the map, it is not a physical one as such.. Actually there has never really has been a border between the UK and Ireland (in the sense people think of a border, it is more to divide land).. We have never needed passports or visa's to travel between the two countries and the people have been allowed to move freely between the two..
even during the troubles.. although at times things were tightened at the border of nothern ireland (with more military and checks) people were still allowed to move freely..

They will never seal of that border..

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
This is just a quick response just now as I have an appointment. But I think you should be taking this quite seriously.
About a month ago it was reported that the UK government had told all UK embassies over europe to draw up contingency plans to protect and evacuate British citizens back to UK. This was 'under the radar' so to sleak over the week end. The following Monday...what's his face, head of Bank of England told all British banks to convert every possible asset they had to cash.

When I have some more time later, I will look for the reports.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
UK making preparations to stem a load of economic migrants from failied EU states is understandable. But why the preparations for evacuating British citizens? Are they expecting comple societal collapse in these states that their citizens there cannot leave in an orderly manner? Wonder if other countries planning the same.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by Antoniastar

It doesn't seem all that fringe anymore, does it?
It's getting real...

No, it doesn't feel like fringe.

It's reeeeal real.

Transformation is inevitable, cycles happen. As a planet, we're in a valley right now. And that's okay because without the valley there are no mountains and without the mountains, there are no peaks and without peaks ....

There goes the view.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Oops! My mistake.

Although there is a border on the map, it is not a physical one as such.. Actually there has never really has been a border between the UK and Ireland (in the sense people think of a border, it is more to divide land).. We have never needed passports or visa's to travel between the two countries and the people have been allowed to move freely between the two..
even during the troubles.. although at times things were tightened at the border of nothern ireland (with more military and checks) people were still allowed to move freely..

They will never seal of that border..

Thank you. I assumed as much and the reason why I didn't take that land border into account.

That still leaves me puzzled about what this "sealing of the borders" means. The only way I can interpret it is to mean end of visa-free travel to citizens of EU member states, at least to those of some of the EU member states.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

UK making preparations to stem a load of economic migrants from failied EU states is understandable. But why the preparations for evacuating British citizens? Are they expecting comple societal collapse in these states that their citizens there cannot leave in an orderly manner? Wonder if other countries planning the same.

To be honest i think the way the government are probably looking at it is to say, if a Brit, living abroad in a Eurozone country and thing have gone a bit tits up for them i.e they have lost the job in which they went over for, they can have the choice to come back to Britain if they want to and the government will take care of them

Thats the way i look at it, not like many, possibly yourself who are misguided/mislead by the headlines of many articles on the web that make it seem as though the government will round up every last brit abroad and order them home, easy mistake to make judging by headlines mate

edit on 28/12/2011 by ThorsBrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

Phew thanks for putting my mind at ease, I was worried my 2nd wife would have to come back to the UK (she is in france)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

That still leaves me puzzled about what this "sealing of the borders" means. The only way I can interpret it is to mean end of visa-free travel to citizens of EU member states, at least to those of some of the EU member states.

im assuming thats what it means too..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join