It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Father Aziz Yazdanpanah Honor-Massacres Entire Family . . . in Texas (Blog opinion)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

I hope you're not talking about the training camps that were paid for by the USA........ I HOPE...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Annee, very good reply...........puts it in perspective.

A man, a simply mentally unstable man went over the edge and took his family with him.

It happens spanning all cultures, races, creeds, religions............and is sad because someone felt so hopeless, so despondent they saw no other way out.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFlash
reply to post by Dbriefed

Is the religion of the murderer always listed in Texas news articles?

NOPE!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

The city of Grapevine is only a few miles from where I am, and Ive visited the area before where these apartments are located. When I first heard about this story, I had no idea it would be related to "honor" killings. Also, I believe this is the only murder this year in the city of Grapevine, and the worst ever in the city. Im still a bit skepitcal that it could be an honor killing, and Im looking for some more articles. I found this one so far.

Texas Christmas Day Massacre Alleged to be Islamic Honor Killing; Truth or Islamophobia?

Initial reports attributed the motive behind the killing to Yazdanpanah's financial troubles, home foreclosure and the emotional trauma of having been alienated from his wife and children.

However, Jihad Watch, a site ran by Robert Spencer, well-known author and columnist, has alleged that Yazdanpanah, a Muslim, couldn't digest the fact that his daughter was dating a non-Muslim and chose to kill the family to thwart the perceived dishonor.

The site quoted friends and classmates of Yazdanpanah's teenage daughter Nona. One of them named Lacie Reed was quoted as saying, "She (Nona) would come to school crying and telling us her dad was crazy. He wouldn't let her wear certain things. He was always taking her phone away, checking her call history and checking her text messages."

Im still not sure if this was an honor killing, but I wont rule it out either. To my understanding, he did this because of financial and marital troubles. This still is only a few days old, and Im sure more information will be coming out soon. This has been all over my local news, so if something else comes out, ill post it.
edit on 28-12-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

I don't think the original poster brought this to our attention in order for someone to inform us on how few murders occured in Grapevine over the last year..... Seems like you're attempting to portray Grapevine as a city of well balanced, religiously tolerant citizens who could never use "honour" as a reason for cold blooded murder....

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Not doubting you and I know all religions have violence, but you said that link was to a christian that did an honor killing, but it appears to be two more stories about Muslims doing them?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

The city of Grapevine is only a few miles from where I am, and Ive visited the area before where these apartments are located. When I first heard about this story, I had no idea it would be related to "honor" killings. Also, I believe this is the only murder this year in the city of Grapevine, and the worst ever in the city. Im still a bit skepitcal that it could be an honor killing, and Im looking for some more articles.

We live in the same area, and I agree -- not an honor killing.

Honor killings take a very specific form, and only the ones who have "shamed" the family are killed. So if it was an honor killing the daughter might have been killed or the wife (depending on who he thought it was) -- but he would not have committed suicide.

He had financial and legal problems. Many people, of all faiths and no faiths, kill family members and themselves under this kind of stress.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

My bad I will change it tmr sleep now..

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNaR
I don't think the original poster brought this to our attention in order for someone to inform us on how few murders occured in Grapevine over the last year..... Seems like you're attempting to portray Grapevine as a city of well balanced, religiously tolerant citizens who could never use "honour" as a reason for cold blooded murder....

Nope.

He's saying Grapevine is a small city (north of me) and that as a small city, there's been very few murders there in the past 50 years. I don't know that they're particularly tolerant or intolerant there -- it's sort of a small town Texas attitude in spite of being so close to Dallas.

The cities north of Dallas have quite a few Muslims there (I've taught in their schools.) Everyone generally gets along with each other. Dallas, however, with its poor areas and other problems has a lot of violence, and we've seen non-Muslim parents kill families and then themselves -- like the mayor of one city who killed her daughter and then committed suicide. She was some flavor of Protestant, as I recall.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
DISCUSS THE NEWS STORY ONLY

This is getting WAY out of hand, people.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
No one can justify these acts or deny that they are horrendous in my opinion.

However, on the topic of Islam (which such conversations inevitably end up focused on,) I do have some questions for everyone here:

1) How does it logically follow that because one, or ten, or a hundred, or a thousand, or even several thousand, tens of thousands, or even a million Muslims do or condone a thing, that a majority of Muslims in Western societies (let alone the world) do or condone that thing? (There are an estimated 2+ billion Muslims in the world. I haven't seen any evidence that a majority out of two billion Muslims are violent.)

2) On that subject, would the justifiable and understandable ire at those who commit such acts not be more effectively and appropriately directed at the specific, proved, and avowed perpetrators, rather than the entirety of a religion with over 2 billion followers?

2) What exactly is it that those convinced that Islam is inherently more violent than other religions would like to see done about it, realistically? (Freedom of religion isn't going anywhere anytime soon hopefully, after all.)

These are serious, non-rhetorical questions from a non-religious person who has seen such debates far too often for his tastes, without ever receiving what he considers adequate responses to these very questions.

Thanks and peace.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by admiralmary

Heck just dont pick on Islam I could do a search and find many other killings like this with any Religion..here is one done by a Christian..www.guardian.co.uk...
A good blog here with Muslim and Christian views on Honor killings freethoughtblogs.com...
Let me guess mary are you a Christian?
edit on 28-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Of course, it is easy...just to be a holier-than-thou devil's advocate (interesting play on words, huh?)...to do a search, and find in the whole wide world, there was a Christian guy who killed his daughter because she wanted to marry a Muslim. Wow, good work.

If you want to be completely honest in your advocacy, though, and you did a thorough search on the subject you would come up with hundreds of examples of "honour" violence perpetrated by Muslims for every one you can committed by Christians.

I dare say you could find many more (times) examples of Hindu honur killings, as well, than you ever could of Christian ones in this day and age.

So, while you are delighting in taking a progressive view of Muslim behaviour around the world...a little intellectual honesty in your arguments would go a long way.

The problem is that there's no evidence this was an "honor killing" except for the author of the blog entry chose to say that. Crazy people are members of all religions. Unless the person who commits mass murder makes some kind of religious justification for the murder, you can't just assume that the murder was committed as a result of the killer's religion. If you read the news with confirmatory bias goggles on, you'll certainly find whatever you're looking for.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join