It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the best timelapses ever - Above the VLT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Amazing Timelapse footage from the ESO's Very Large telescope in Chile. Absolutely beautiful and awe-inspiring. The music fits in well with it too.

RIP - Whisper

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Does anyone know what are the beams of light it shoots out. are they a pointer to what they are focusing on?
This is really beautiful, thank you so much for posting.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

"the universe is a big place" What an understatement!

Awesome video, i love a good timelapse.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
Does anyone know what are the beams of light it shoots out. are they a pointer to what they are focusing on?
This is really beautiful, thank you so much for posting.

love and harmony
Whateva

I believe you're seeing planes going by.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Amazing. Really makes you think about life and reality in general. Well, myself anyway.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Laser sites.

The laser guide star is part of the VLT´s adaptive optics system and is launched from Yepun (Unit Telescope 4). It is used for adaptive optics when no good reference stars are found in the field of view. Yepun typically observes with the laser guide star for about 25% of the time.

Streaks across the sky could be aircraft, even satellites, I'm not sure how much air traffic there is over the Andes in such a remote area. I suspect some streaks could be meteors, you'd have to check if they were filming during a meteor shower. Time lapse videos are cool especially these VLT ones, and cool soundtrack also.

Sorry, here's the link.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Are there really places where the sky looks like that at night?! I live in a rather small urban area and could probably count the stars in the sky with little difficulty lol. I still look up at the stars all the time though. If the sky looked like that where I lived I would stay outside all night.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

oh wow that's cool,thanks for that

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Cool video, I just finished watching it on my VBM (Very Big Monitor).

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This video gets posted every few months...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

All from this year

edit on 28-12-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You're telling me it's possible to see the center of the galaxy with the naked eye from ground level?????? I ahet light pollution!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Very, very nice!

Thanks for turning me on to The Calm Blue Sea!
I'm a sucker for footage of natural wonders scored by Post-Rock/Shoe-gaze music!

It's a win-win for me!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Sorry. I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but there is no way, that those who own the gigantic telescopes (NASA, the Vatican etc) on this planet haven't seen anything unexplainable. There is NO way that 'they' haven't captured something that they could not explain. Do they really think we're that naive and complacent based on the odds? They want us to believe that everything they encounter has a scientific explanation! Hogwash!!!

By the way, what is that line that periodically shows up starting at 7:07? A laser? If so, whose on the receiving end of it?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
This video gets posted every few months...

All from this year

edit on 28-12-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

So what?
Your comment isn't constructive at all. In fact, it's rather rude seeing I've been on ATS for years now and it's the first time I've seen it.
Here's an old wise saying: If you haven't anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by signwearer
Amazing. Really makes you think about life and reality in general. Well, myself anyway.

Indeed. Makes me wonder why I signed up for this 'human' stint when I could be out there enjoying the beauty and freedom.

I see someone asked about the laser already . Still don't understand its function but then again, I don't even know what all the buttons do on my remote.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
That was awesome. Thanks for sharing, Star and flag.
Space amazes me.
Even watching the other telescopes and how busy they are working was pretty Cool too.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yeah, pretty awe inspiring indeed.
I almost felt as if I was actually moving while watching that...oh thats right we are aren't we

Ya know what I mean.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I love that video, but I know i've seen it before.. here..

It seems everytime I read ATS, it ends up being one long running de ja vu

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
And yet, we still get people spewing # about there is no life out there in space.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I posted some other cool Time-Lapses Over here - not surprisingly, this was the 2nd post.

I like the Canada ones, personally, but good find - S&F.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join