It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesse Jackson and activists are fighting the Michigan dictatorship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Good on them.

Remember this?
``Emergency manager`` has now taken over elected officials...Elections? Doesn't matter anymore

That was in April... apparently the activists just woke up to the fact that this was total dictatorship...

Jesse Jackson Fights Emergency Manager Law, Alongside John Conyers, Occupy Detroit, Labor

The Rev. Jesse Jackson joined with U.S. Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) on Thursday to urge opposition to Michigan's emergency manager law. Jackson argued that Public Act 4, which may lead to the takeover of Detroit, threatens to destroy democracy.

The emergency manager law grants the governor power to appoint a special manager for financially troubled municipalities and school districts. Emergency managers have the authority to fire elected officials, break contracts and sell public assets. They are currently in place in four Michigan cities and school districts. And this week Snyder moved forward with a full review of Detroit's finances, the second step toward appointing an emergency manager for the state's largest city.

Conyers is a joke :

Conyers, who represents Detroit, reiterated his call for U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to take action against Public Act 4.

PLEASE... epic criminal and traitor Holder won't do a damn thing about this.

"If this were Mississippi or Alabama that were doing this, there would be a different kind of national outcry, because it is so boldly anti-democratic," said Jackson.

Yep. Total silence in the MSM.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

If Jessie Jackson is involved there must be an ulterior motive. This stinks on the surface. He must be worried some of his buddies in Detroit (who have done nothing to fix that dying city) will be rightfully chased out of town.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Then what isTHEIR solution???

It's damned easy to criticize others solutions, but do they have one of their own or are they just yapping to be heard?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Face it, many cities, especially Detroit, will never change a damn thing without outside interference in their internal affairs. The city will continue to decline into the abyss because they have proven time and time again they cannot govern the city properly. I am sure there are dozens of other cities that are also in such crises across not only Michigan but all of the United States. What I find most unfortunate is that elected city and county officials have been so incompetent as to allow this crisis to unfold.

Yes, yes, I know it is not solely their fault as other factors play a part, but, not every city is in such disaster as Detroit. The city has an illiteracy/functional illiteracy rate of 50%, unemployment somewhere around 40%, mass poverty, is one of the five most dangerous cities in America, is constantly selling land which is vacant or leaving it rot for criminals to rape people in, and have turned the city into a place straight out of the third world.

Someone needs to be held accountable and someone needs to fix the problem. Do you honestly believe any of the current councilmen in Detroit will fix their situation? Absolutely not because they never worried about it before and the only reason Jesse Jackson is getting himself involved is because some are seeing this as a racist attack by evil whitey Republicans on majority black Detroit.

Black-Led Detroit Resists White Control Under Manager

“It’s nothing but a takeover bill,” said Brandon Jessup, chairman of the Stand Up for Democracy coalition seeking 161,300 signatures to place the measure on the November ballot. “This is definitely a race issue. It’s affecting people of color not only in this generation but future generations.”

That is the only reason Jesse Jackson and his race posse is there.

EDIT: I thought these parts of my link would be interesting to add...

Councilwoman JoAnn Watson compared the city’s resistance to Rosa Parks’ refusal to move to the back of a bus, an act that began the Montgomery boycott in 1955 and a civil-rights watershed.

Councilman Kwame Kenyatta said an emergency manager would be “a master, as someone to control the plantation,” according to the Detroit Free Press...

An emergency manager for Detroit, he [John Conyers] wrote, “would be perpetuating the discrimination on an even more egregious scale.”

edit on 12/28/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Someone needs to be held accountable and someone needs to fix the problem. Do you honestly believe any of the current councilmen in Detroit will fix their situation? Absolutely not because they never worried about it before and the only reason Jesse Jackson is getting himself involved is because some are seeing this as a racist attack by evil whitey Republicans on majority black Detroit.

Spot On.

"We are prepared to go from education, mobilization, litigation, legislation, demonstration and civil disobedience," Jackson said during a press conference at Bethany Baptist Church on the city's west side. "We want a positive commitment to restoring democracy and economic justice for all citizens." As stated in your article, "Asked whether civil disobedience is a possibility, leaders didn't hesitate ... " What is positive about a message of civil disobedience? Leaders didn't hesitate? If this is true, from this point forward, you can count me out as a supporter of the city of Detroit. What a stupid comment by Jackson.

Letters: Bad advice from Jesse Jackson

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Ya but still, you cannot set up a precedent for this... it's outright dictatorship to take over elected officials.

How long before a state elects a governor with balls that tells the feds to go screw themselves and the feds just use this as precedent to kick him out?

Detroit needs to fix their problems for sure, but this ain't the way to do it... And I agree with you, Jackson is probably going there just because of race... and he will try to make it look like a race thing...when I'm sure dozens of cities across America run by white or latino are in the same kind of trouble, we're just not hearing about it because they are smaller towns.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

So you suggest we let these cities sink even further into poverty, illiteracy, crime, gang culture, homelessness, corruption, and urban decay because there is a possibility that someone uses the situation as a pretext to implement the same on a national scale? I am trying to be kind to the people here, ordinarily I would say ‘let the bastards rot in their own mess’, but this will spill over into other cities.

Tell me, what happens when Detroit does collapse, which it will, and the people there flee en masse to Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Flint, Saginaw, Lansing, etc…? They will spread crime and poverty further infecting other areas. This is like a disease; we must contain it before it spreads.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Nah I'm saying we should find another solution... there ought to be one.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
This is a quagmire.

Detroit elected officials had plenty of time to work out a plan.

They seem real slow around there.

Trouble is, Jackson and CONyours are crooks and have agendas.
But then again, maybe they are both bankruptcy experts

Perhaps THEY want a Federal takeover to overide State's rights ?

Where was CONyours and even Jackson Jr. when Congress was in session passing legislation?

I don't recall any appeals from them for this "crisis".

BUT, the other point is .......

A takeover would be by unelected managers.

Similar to a corporate bankruptcy.

Hmmm.

I think a municipal bankruptcy is different however.

Municipality Bankruptcy

The chapter of the Bankruptcy Code providing for reorganization of municipalities (which includes cities and towns, as well as villages, counties, taxing districts, municipal utilities, and school districts).

The first municipal bankruptcy legislation was enacted in 1934 during the Great Depression. Pub. L. No. 251, 48 Stat. 798 (1934). Although Congress took care to draft the legislation so as not to interfere with the sovereign powers of the states guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution, the Supreme Court held the 1934 Act unconstitutional as an improper interference with the sovereignty of the states. Ashton v. Cameron County Water Improvement Dist. No. 1, 298 U.S. 513, 532 (1936). Congress enacted a revised Municipal Bankruptcy Act in 1937, Pub. L. No. 302, 50 Stat. 653 (1937), which was upheld by the Supreme Court. United States v. Bekins, 304 U.S. 27, 54 (1938). The law has been amended several times since 1937. In the more than 60 years since Congress established a federal mechanism for the resolution of municipal debts, there have been fewer than 500 municipal bankruptcy petitions filed. Although chapter 9 cases are rare, a filing by a large municipality can— like the 1994 filing by Orange County, California—involve many millions of dollars in municipal debt.
Chapter 9 BK

Alabama county files biggest municipal bankruptcy

edit on Dec-28-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
There is so much in Detroit that is just sitting there collecting dust.

There are TONS of scrap metal in the old buildings, churches, homes. Tons of lumber that can be recycled. Lots and land for farm, yet the Government there does NOTHING and the people have no money to start a franchise of their own.

It's become a wasteland of lazy and corrupt officials and the PEOPLE keep voting them in.

The citizens are to blame along with the Government. You can't have both equations and expect any success.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Detroit sucks. It's a dirty cesspool of rot and crime. It's a hollow shell of a city. Falling in. If there is an emergency manager ... then good! Maybe he/she can do something because obviously nothing has been working so far. Jesse Jackson is probably even more corrupt than the people he protests against. He should shut up and go away.

That being said .. Detroit has one good thing going for it .... The Red Wings.
SERIOUSLY great hockey team.
Considering what is going on in the city, I don't know who there can afford the tickets though.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Of course Jackson has an agenda, but having that agenda doesn't mean what he is saying is wrong. There is a reason that the Robocop series of films was set in Detroit.

But to overrule the voters is a serious offense. I mean the US as a whole is in similar mess (just not as pronounced as Detroit). How would you feel if I or someone else was placed in charge of the US and overriding the entire Federal gov't?

An emperor that will kindly step aside and relinquish all power once the crisis has passed...sound familiar yet?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It does not matter if anyone does not have an answer to what to do.

I live in Michigan and this has become the first state with a dictator. Democracy ended in Michigan with Rick Snyder. This is not what America is about and you have shown your hand to have the heart of a fascist.

The elected officials have no say in a city that has been taken over by emergency mangers.

Snyder claim his next step is to appoint a private corporation to run these cities. He will open the tax coffers with no over-site to private for profit corporations.

EVERY American should be not just outraged but jaw dropping outrage. Must be something in the TV signal because everyone is so asleep over this issue.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by Misoir

Ya but still, you cannot set up a precedent for this... it's outright dictatorship to take over elected officials.

How long before a state elects a governor with balls that tells the feds to go screw themselves and the feds just use this as precedent to kick him out?

Detroit needs to fix their problems for sure, but this ain't the way to do it... And I agree with you, Jackson is probably going there just because of race... and he will try to make it look like a race thing...when I'm sure dozens of cities across America run by white or latino are in the same kind of trouble, we're just not hearing about it because they are smaller towns.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Vitchilo because

I agree that neither the state nor federal government should be allowed to override the voters in this matter. But the conditions inside the city are far worse than many realize. I have a close buddy who is a cop in Detroit. He said the average response time for a call is typically 6 hours. He also said there are certain neighborhoods they will not enter. The people have continued to elect the same corrupt losers that only look out for their own interests.

Here's my problem with this situation...where has all the outrage been from citizens with regard to the lack of accomplishment of their elected officials? Where has Jackson been the past several years while Detroit has been imploding? So only after drastic measures have been taken to bring Detroit out of 3rd world status is there outrage? Needing a rifle and flack jacket to check your mail isn't an outrage?
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Rick Snyder's main goal is and always has been to give these municipalities treasury over to private corporations.

He will tell you this!!

There will not be any over-site...all governmental affairs will be handed over to a major corporation, like For or GM, Dow Chemical...this is where this is going.

Do any of you want to go there?!?

This man is the ex-CEO of Gateway computers and is going to hand over this state to his friends.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Maybe an #occupy Detroit effort would be in order.

There's plenty of empty buildings and land for everybody.

They could spawn a new city with new residents !

Start a new factory or two even.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Here is a simple solution that does not breach democratic standards.

Cut all state resources to Detroit until Detroit shapes up.

All state funded programs.

All state controlled access points closed.

Basically put Detroit out. If they want to implode, than they can do it to themselves and only themselves.

Just an idea.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

So you suggest we let these cities sink even further into poverty, illiteracy, crime, gang culture, homelessness, corruption, and urban decay because there is a possibility that someone uses the situation as a pretext to implement the same on a national scale? I am trying to be kind to the people here, ordinarily I would say ‘let the bastards rot in their own mess’, but this will spill over into other cities.

Tell me, what happens when Detroit does collapse, which it will, and the people there flee en masse to Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Flint, Saginaw, Lansing, etc…? They will spread crime and poverty further infecting other areas. This is like a disease; we must contain it before it spreads.

There is no fixing Detroit and that disease will visit almost every major city in the future. "Peak Oil", opps. Detroit was the victim of globalization and will finally be killed when the Oil Shock finally occurs. Anyone with sense has realized this and left. There is no saving that place.
edit on 28-12-2011 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

It is ironic that you say that.

A student that I studied with had an excellent idea for Detroit as his thesis.

And he's a Canadian shmuck...well successful Canadian shmuck, but you get the gist.

Something about Detroit and Windsor coordinating and harnessing their power at the lakes.

I will see if I can contact him to get more info, it was a long time ago.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Jesse Jackson Fights Emergency Manager Law, Alongside John Conyers, Occupy Detroit, Labor

Yet this entire group said nothing under Jennifer Granholm, the Democrat Ex-Gov who appointed the Emergency Managers?

Gov. Rick Snyder actually just inherited this Emergency Manager crisis (to use an all to popular excuse).

The truth is, this entire group did not want Snyder elected, and will do whatever they can to make sure that he is not elected again.

They are hoping to make something stick.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join