It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Russia's Mars probe fall in Afghanistan? Too early to tell (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Okay, so they say we dodged a bullet when the UARS Satellite crashed down in the Pacific.

We also know that the defunct Russian Mars-Phobos Probe (great ATS thread here) is set to come down. Many are speculating where it might make impact.
The video below talks about the probe and takes us through the most likely scenario.

The RIA-Novosti news service caused a stir when it reported that the 13-ton Phobos-Grunt spacecraft would crash in southwestern Afghanistan at 2:22 a.m. Moscow time on Jan. 14. The report attributed the prediction to the U.S. Strategic Command, but experts say it's way too early to be that precise about the Phobos-Grunt debris zone.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

That would be awesome if it did crash in Afghanistan, the Afghans should reverse engineer that stuff and then from there on blast off into space away from all the wars they endured!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

Except what is crashing has no technologies used to get into space.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Doesn't it bear some poisonous fuel and biological substances on board? Why fight a whole war when you can get revenge with a back stab? Just a small theory of mine, I am usually not into all that "World depopulation" stuff.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It's possible the Russian reporter really is an idiot but I tend to be suspicious the report was deliberately misrepresented to piss off the Afghans and other over-credulous or simpleminded readers -- nobody like that around here, right?

The original US statement was clealry for a predicted entry time plus/minus about 7 days, which is about +/- 3 million miles along the ground track.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

The problem is, the only source for this is RIA-Novosti. They are perhaps the most reliable source for information in Russia, but it is nevertheless a second hand source. The US STRATCOM has issued no press releases, and I doubt they would make such a precise prediction so early. There are too many variables involved. Here's a link to the original article:

en.rian.ru...

new topics

top topics

join