It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion worth the effort or just afterlife insurance?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Is religion just afterlife insurance?
Im not a religious minded person and believe if someone finds comfort in a belief of a higher all seeing "god" then good for them,but over many years the churches of the world have got very rich from people who believe that living in accordance to gods "rules" means that they will "go" to heaven .So what makes people think this way?I think a very clever book which has been rewritten numerous times in many languages is behind it ,You guessed it the bible,Has anyone else noticed the similarities between the christian faith and the muslim faith?If as the bible says jesus was born in bethleham wouldnt he have been dark skinned possibly?I wonder what the popes view on jesuses colour is?
I have found an interest film on religion which im sure has been posted before but im posting again anyway to try and get other view points ,thanks for your time in reading this .
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by krs678

religion causes prejudice... so no its not worth the effort.

Though reading the bible for yourself is more then worth the effort you put into it

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by krs678

I honestly believe that organized religion is there to manipulate and control the masses for their own selfish desires and bidding. I believe there is some sort of higher power that probably governs the universe but I cannot imagine a God that is too evil that is portrayed in so many religions! I have respect for every religion and belief system out there but what bothers me the most is that people have to die over different belief systems. It just shows that us humans are not different compared to other animals.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Agreed, its the worst when people think their specific religion is correct, where in fact, so many other people in the world ma have differing views.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by krs678

correction - religioun is not " afterlife insurance " - its an ATTEMPT at afterlife insurance - with no garuntee you are paying premiums to the right imaginary friend

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by krs678

Organized religion has been wildly manipulated over thousands of years, simply to control people. A few "religions" seem to have the right idea, though. Buddhism, Hinduism, Confucianism, and Taoism are all worth exploring, at least for the cultural relevance. The philosophy that Christ preaches is where I found my heart, though. When you read the Bible as a work of literature to be interpreted, it begins to have real meaning. Obviously, Christianity was bastardized by the Roman Empire to suit its needs for an imperial religion that adapted to paganism.

No religion is "correct." Develop your own personal philosophy, instead.
edit on 27-12-2011 by UnivoxSuperfuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by krs678

I think religion is a way for people to feel at ease, knowing that there is another life for them once they die. Many people are afraid of death, thus, with religion telling them that there is an afterlife allows them to forget their fears.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Religion also has caused many conflicts throughout history,is the comfort which people seem to find in the Bible worth it overall?
Theres no doubt who every "wrote" the Bible or Quran had great intelligence. But is "it" not just a way to control the masses?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
it is what you want it to be, you can make your own future. If someone believes something different from my own beliefs, i say bless you peace out and i don't let it change my own thoughts on things, or my perspective. Thing is, you must have an open mind and imagine if not believe. I really think people should chillax and who cares what you believe as long as you aren't hurtin' me. So God bless, as us catholics say, and please, let's keep this site for "above top secret" type #

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by krs678

The "afterlife" was and is used to manipulate people into believing, yes. But you recognize that fact and don't need to believe it.

I interpret "eternal life" as meaning humanity's infinite existence. Once collectively, as a species, we adopt the correct philosophy, we may attain eternity, here on earth. Just my weird view, though.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Whether there is an after-life or not, there is worth in striving to implement values and character traits taught in most religions. Hate and intolerance not included.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by krs678
Is religion just afterlife insurance?
Im not a religious minded person and believe if someone finds comfort in a belief of a higher all seeing "god" then good for them,but over many years the churches of the world have got very rich from people who believe that living in accordance to gods "rules" means that they will "go" to heaven

Riddle: Going is the point. Heaven is not the point. Rules are for those who are headed but never arriving.

If you can solve this riddle, seeing heaven was never the reward, you see clearly to something hidden, but in plain sight.

Solve the riddle and I'll fill you in on what's hidden.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
There is a lot to learn from all religons books and when you go deply into it then you can find gems. But if you belive that god has ego and care what you belive and you belive what you belive is 100% right then you are a fool. I embrace the fact that I know so little for certain and question everything even gods motives. Those who are ready will get answers. It is what you are that is important not who you belive in to get rewards that matters. Jesus himself told us that he would not spend time with belivers that made evil.

Buddha said to not listen to who is speaking the message but what the message is saying and that means question all authority. When you read the bible or other religous text you should question if it is right or not by what it says. The book is written by people with ego and even Jesus and Buddha probably had bad days like all the rest off us. God has given us brains to use em not to belive blindly. Religon has drawn to it corrupted elements, but there is something devine in reality that all religons try to explain. Religon and science both should not be fundamentalistic but try to seek answers and new questions and make sure the old answers are correct. Religous dogma is for the humans not for god. The reason people go to church is probably that they can't find their own path. As if a priest know exactly what you should do to find god
. It's only the person themselves that can do the work and find god. The most holy people are holy for what they are not for their positions or where they are. Every thing changes. Everything evolves. Being static(the same) is an illusion. A person evolves in his life. A soul evolve. A society evolves. Spiecies evolves. God evolves.

If you wanna be an ateist be an ateist. Don't worry about it, but please try to be the nicest person you can
. Love a soulbrother. Namaste

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by krs678
reply to post by Akragon

Religion also has caused many conflicts throughout history,is the comfort which people seem to find in the Bible worth it overall?
Theres no doubt who every "wrote" the Bible or Quran had great intelligence. But is "it" not just a way to control the masses?

It is and has always been a way to control the masses... but there is a message within the bible that 90% of religious people completely overlook.

The words of Jesus are pure truth... the rest can be tossed as far as spiritual knowledge is concerned.

The "comfort" people find is simply put... death is not the end of the line, its just another step. Understanding that brings great comfort to many people... It instills confidence within a persons life because you must understand that fear of death is pointless.

So its very worth it to study his words

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by krs678

there is an old saying . If god did not exist man would have to create one ie ; the sun god RA the moon god LUNA . all the major religions believe in ABRAHAM and and work their teaching around him JEWS MUSLIMS CHRISTIANS . All believe in his teachings but they interpret them in different ways .To the point of destroying one and other . is it not so that they all preach love thy neighbour

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UnivoxSuperfuzz

so there is no afterlife? please explain spirits and possessions/exorcism , do you believe in that stuff? you should! because it is very real!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by krs678

Yes, look at your redemption/salvation as the starting point. People get into some crazy ideas when they think of salvation as the finish line.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaMgLo87
reply to post by UnivoxSuperfuzz

so there is no afterlife? please explain spirits and possessions/exorcism , do you believe in that stuff? you should! because it is very real!

Amen it's real. You forgot NDEs, especially ones from people who were clinically dead or who were born blind or deaf from birth and can see and hear in their NDEs.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Religion does not guarantee anything! Period!
The Muslim "faith", the Buddhist "faith" are all a dead end and will only get you a one-way ticket to hell.

Jesus is the ONLY one who can give eternal life and it is a gift.
You can't "earn" it.
Being "good" is not the way, saying Hail Mary is not the way.
It is ONLY through the blood of Christ and what HE did on the cross by dying for mankind's sins.
And if you don't want to worship Jesus here on earth then why would you want to worship Him for eternity in Heaven?
So is it "worth the effort"?

Let us see...

Eternity in hell.... or eternity with God?

The choice is yours!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ccsct203
Religion does not guarantee anything! Period!
The Muslim "faith", the Buddhist "faith" are all a dead end and will only get you a one-way ticket to hell.

Jesus is the ONLY one who can give eternal life and it is a gift.
You can't "earn" it.
Being "good" is not the way, saying Hail Mary is not the way.
It is ONLY through the blood of Christ and what HE did on the cross by dying for mankind's sins.
And if you don't want to worship Jesus here on earth then why would you want to worship Him for eternity in Heaven?
So is it "worth the effort"?

Let us see...

Eternity in hell.... or eternity with God?

The choice is yours!!!

So if I believe Christ resurrected from the dead and started raping and murdering I would go to heaven? Get real, nothing unholy enters heaven. Even Christ said not all who call Him Lord would enter. Faith without works is dead faith. You have to strive to be more than just good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join