It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Myths and Facts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
There are a number of myths about Ron Paul that come up over and over and are used especially by the anti-Paul crowd so I thought I would post this list instead of responding to them individually every time I hear one.

Myth: Ron Paul is a racist

Fact:
Ron Paul is a tireless champion of civil rights, liberty, and freedoms. Nothing in his life has ever hinted at being a racist. His speeches and his actions all attest to this. The newsletters they keep bringing up were not written by him and he has disavowed them. Analyst have agreed they are not his writing style and his life work proves it. He has taken responsibility that they were written in his name without his approval or oversight.

yeyoungeconomist.wordpress.com...

Myth: Ron Paul is an isolationist.

Fact:
I guess if you call NOT wanting to intervene in the internal affairs of other countries and not bombing and invade countries who are no threat to us isolationist you might be able to make it stick in some remote stretch of the imagination..

His policies have always been free and fair trade with all extending the hand of friendship and trade to all while maintaining a strong defense. How anyone can call that isolationism is beyond any speck of logic and reason.

ronpaulmyths.com...

Myth: Ron Paul's Foreign policy is dangerous/crazy/weird/etc.

Fact:
This one goes hand in hand with the isolation myth. Again in what universe is extending the hand of friendship and trade to other countries while not intervening in their internal affairs while maintaining a strong defense dangerous or crazy? Seriously the media spin on this has been ridiculous. Do people seriously believe our current foreign policy of invading other countries who are no threat and fomenting revolutions deposing democratically elected leaders and replacing them with dictators (which is what happened in Iraq, Iran, and a host of other countries) is a better policy??? Hows that working out for us while we send our sons and daughters off to die or come home maimed in these wars? This does not spread good will and democracy.

ronpaulmyths.com...

Myth: Ron Paul wants to go back to the 19th century.

Fact:
His detractors use this line to falsely characterize his stance on sound money. Because he has talked about the gold standard and the relative freedom and prosperity we had in the 9th century after the civil war up to 1913 while on the gold standard. They twist this into he wants us to return to the 19th century. No he does not he just wants us to return to freedom. He is for competing currencies not a government imposed gold standard because the government has proven it cannot manage our monetary and economic system look around you for how well that is working out for us.

www.ronpaul.com...

Myth: Ron Paul wants to put the elderly out in the street and take away their social security benefits.

Fact:
Ron Paul is the only candidate that has proposed a viable plan to cut spending by over a trillion dollars and not put the elderly and those dependant on government benefits out in the cold. Even some of his detractors have endorsed his plan.

www.ronpaul2012.com...
the-classic-liberal.com...

There are many more but these are the most prominent in my experience. Feel free to add more of the myths the anti-Paul crowd likes to throw up if you like and debunk it with the facts.

So there you have it SOME of the myths and lies spread about Ron Paul. This is how you tell the trolls from the honestly uninformed. The shills repeat these lies over and over ad nausea despite being shown facts to the contrary and often do it in a very condescending way. When challenged they will rarely engage in specifics and when they do they will often repeat more myths or falsely characterize what they are attempting to associate to Dr Paul.

The honestly uninformed are not afraid to engage and will often be satisfied with the answer whether they agree with the position or not. Maybe we can make this into a sort of faq and refer folks here who are uninformed?

I am sure the shills will also descend on this thread. Just ignore them and post something positive instead.

edit on 27-12-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Fact:
Ron Paul is a tireless champion of civil rights, liberty, and freedoms. Nothing in his life has ever hinted at being a racist. His speeches and his actions all attest to this. The newsletters they keep bringing up were not written by him and he has disavowed them. Analyst have agreed they are not his writing style and his life work proves it. He has taken responsibility that they were written in his name without his approval or oversight.

That is not a fact...you need to do a little research on what a "fact" is.

What you are stating is an opinion...not fact.

I have an opinion on this too...my opinion is that he is racist...but is trying to hide it. Besides his newsletters, he voted no to a MLK holiday, he voted no to giving Rosa Parks a congressional gold medal, he has consistently said that he wouldn't of voted for civil rights, he has written laws that would bring back segregation in schools, and he has links to white supremist groups.

Again...not a FACT...but your personal opinion.

Myth: Ron Paul wants to go back to the 19th century.

Fact:
His detractors use this line to falsely characterize his stance on sound money. Because he has talked about the gold standard and the relative freedom and prosperity we had in the 9th century after the civil war up to 1913 while on the gold standard. They twist this into he wants us to return to the 19th century. No he does not he just wants us to return to freedom. He is for competing currencies not a government imposed gold standard because the government has proven it cannot manage our monetary and economic system look around you for how well that is working out for us.

All of his ideas are old ideas...that is fact. He wants to go back in time...not forward. He wants to repeal bills that have moved us forward...not pass new bills that will continue to move us forward.

So yes, in my OPINION (again...yours is also your OPINION...not fact)...he wants to go back in time.

Myth: Ron Paul wants to put the elderly out in the street and take away their social security benefits.

Fact:
Ron Paul is the only candidate that has proposed a viable plan to cut spending by over a trillion dollars and not put the elderly and those dependant on government benefits out in the cold. Even some of his detractors have endorsed his plan.

Yes he does want to...maybe not those that are currently on social security...but he wants to remove it so that the elderly in the future will be SOL.

So there you have it SOME of the myths and lies spread about Ron Paul. This is how you tell the trolls from the honestly uninformed. The shills repeat these lies over and over ad nausea despite being shown facts to the contrary and often do it in a very condescending way.

Oh, I see...since I don't agree with your own personal OPINION...I am a shill, a troll, and I am uninformed

Ron Paul supporters need to really understand that people hold different beliefs...and just because they hold different beliefs doesn't mean they are a shill, a troll, uninformed, or anything else. All it means is that people have different beliefs.

There is no general "right" or "wrong" in politics...there is just those you agree with and those you don't.

You really need to review what is FACT and what is OPINION...none of your "facts" are actual facts...they are opinion.
edit on 27-12-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I see you are Championing the Perpetuation of the MYTHS Again , Go Tell it to The Mountain Mohammad , the People Now Want TRUTH !

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit

I see you are Championing the Perpetuation of the MYTHS Again , Go Tell it to The Mountain Mohammad , the People Now Want TRUTH !

They aren't myths...and they aren't truth.

They are people's OPINIONS.

Try to understand this simple fact...people have different opinions...they form them based on the past actions and words of people.

Ron Pauls past actions and words have caused a lot of people to hold these OPINIONS that you like and others like to call myths.

I believe the man is racist...I believe his domestic policies are crazy...I actually agree with him on foreign policy, but that doesn't overcome the negatives that are piled against him for me to support him.

The above statement is neither "right" or "wrong"...it is my opinion of the man.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So far ive never found any evidence for Ron Paul being racist, if someone could point me towards some that would be handy, ta.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

It's A Free Country last time I checked , you are Entitled to Believe Anything you Want then , Right ? Anything Regarding Truth Or Fiction that is........

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

So moving forward is moving to have your freedoms removed? What is wrong with money that has backing compared to what we have now? I don't know he might want to take America back in time but in a way what is wrong with that? Have a look at the infrastructure in your country it is falling down and isn't repaired. At the moment your taxes are paying to destroy a country to bring them freedom while you lot paying for it all are getting nothing and having freedoms taken away. I don't know what I would pick hey
if I was an American citizen I know what I would prefer.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Repealing bills does not mean going back in time... You're saying he needs to propose MORE bills? we have too many flowing through the system.. we keep slapping on more bills and more bills.. it's not the way to run things!

The government NEEDS to be stripped back in order to fix it because right now it's one giant ball of duct-tape in my opinion .. let's strip it down and if we need to regulate or add bills, lets think them through completely and have some consensus before we do it .. Lets keep corporate interests out of the cookie jar.

This just feels relevant to me .. he's a spot on comedian if you ask me, it has language that is NSFW at times.. he's a brilliant comedian talking about public safety regulations and political correctness, plus how what is offensive is a subjective term

edit on 12/27/2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Fact - Ron Paul opened his personal wallet to donate for Rosa Parks - He said the constitution does not allow tax money to be used for things like that. He suggested taking up a collection - No one else would give their own money - just taxpayers' money.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by hawkiye

Fact:

I have an opinion on this too...my opinion is that he is racist...but is trying to hide it. Besides his newsletters, he voted no to a MLK holiday, he voted no to giving Rosa Parks a congressional gold medal, he has consistently said that he wouldn't of voted for civil rights, he has written laws that would bring back segregation in schools, and he has links to white supremist groups.

Again...not a FACT...but your personal opinion.

Now how did I know you would be the first to jump onto the bash Ron Paul group in this thread.

Unless you have concrete, absolute proof that Ron Paul is a racist and not your own personally held beliefs, then the FACT remains is that he is not. You can't read his mind and his actions and statements are 180 degrees opposite of someone who is a supposed racist (even in their own mind).

Please tell me why there are videos of blacks in support of Ron Paul?. Are these people ignorant or not in the "know" as you seem to be? They address the racism issue head on and even THEY don't see it. Don't you think that they would see it it existed?

Again, your opinion or what you want reality to be does not trump what reality is no matter how many threads you post in while shoving your misguided beliefs down everyone's throat.

I can't say it enough OutKast that you are just plain wrong on just about everything you've posted with regards to Ron Paul.
edit on 27-12-2011 by Freenrgy2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2011 by Freenrgy2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/28/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed quote tags

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I have an opinion on this too...my opinion is that he is racist...but is trying to hide it.

Please remind me... what are Paul's stated reasons for wanting to end the war on drugs?

He wants to go back in time...not forward. He wants to repeal bills that have moved us forward...not pass new bills that will continue to move us forward.

'Move us forward' toward what? A national debt that is beyond recovery/comprehension? Establishing a world empire? The complete destruction of the American economy?

There is no general "right" or "wrong" in politics...there is just those you agree with and those you don't.

In my opinion, there is a very fundamental right and wrong in politics. It is wrong to invade sovereign countries under false pretenses. It is wrong do deceive the masses. It is wrong to have a monetary system that systematically devalues our currency while benefiting a very small group of individuals.

Ron is the only politician willing to speak out against these WRONGS, and has been for many years. Perhaps the reason you are being accused of being an 'uninformed shill', is because you are apparently oblivious to these facts -- excuse me... OPINIONS, while they are so blatantly obvious to the rest of us.

edit on 27-12-2011 by ddaniel because: typo

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

Unless you have concrete, absolute proof that Ron Paul is a racist and not your own personally held beliefs, then the FACT remains is that he is not.

No, that is not how things work.

There is no "fact" when it comes to peoples personal beliefs.

I believe he is racist, at the very least he backs racists policies and tries to hide it by declaring it a "constitutional position".

I stated why I believe he is racist...his past actions suggest that is the case. No, I can't prove it...I can't prove that I myself am not racist...I can't prove you are not racist. It is not something that you can prove or disprove.

So there can be no statement of "fact" regarding this issue. It is all opinion and personal belief.

It is clear you hold the belief he is not racist...I hold the belief he is racist...and that is fine.

But when you go further than that and claim that it is FACT that he is not racist...then it isn't up to me to prove he is racist, and if I don't that confirms that he isn't racist. The burden of proof is on you to prove that he is in fact 100% not racist...and you just can't do that because you can't read minds and no one else can either.

This is basic logic...you can't claim something is FACT that you can't prove. You can't prove Ron Paul is not a racist, therefore you can't claim it is a FACT that he is not racist.

Opinion vs Fact...it seems like a lot of people are having a hard time understanding the difference.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ddaniel

In my opinion, there is a very fundamental right and wrong in politics. It is wrong to invade sovereign countries under false pretenses. It is wrong do deceive the masses. It is wrong to have a monetary system that systematically devalues our currency while benefiting a very small group of individuals.

And that is your opinion.

I'm sure you can find someone out there how believes that it is right to invade countries under ANY pretenses, and it is right to decieve the masses for whatever purposes, and that our monetary system is the best system available.

if you don't understand this...then you may have an ego/arrogance problem. You are not the center of the world, you are not the last word on what is "right" and what is "wrong".

People have different opinions on many things...you may not agree with their opinion...but that does not make it "wrong" from their perspective.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

reply to post by ddaniel

I'm sure you can find someone out there how believes that it is right to invade countries under ANY pretenses, and it is right to decieve the masses for whatever purposes, and that our monetary system is the best system available.

People have different opinions on many things...you may not agree with their opinion...but that does not make it "wrong" from their perspective.

So you are arguing that right and wrong is a matter of perspective?

I could probably find someone who thinks it is OK to molest children. Do you think that is a matter of perspective as well?
edit on 27-12-2011 by ddaniel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ddaniel

I'm sure you could find someone who thinks that is ok...and that is their personal belief.

We also have agreed upon social beliefs...our agreed upon social belief is that it is not ok to molest children.

We don't have an agreed upon social belief on anythin considering Ron Paul...so you are trying to compare to completely different things.

We do have an agreed upon social belief that racism is not good...I have a personal belief that Ron Paul is racist...so my personal belief of the individual goes against our agreed upon social belief on racism...which is why you and other Ron Paul supporters really really want to just not acknowledge that people hold this personal belief.

Sorry...your analogy is lacking.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

Fact:

Doesn't say anything in the constitution about the USGOV having the power to declare national holidays. So a Nay vote would be consistant with his belief in not approving new powers to congress. The date change that he voted for was irrelevant, really, because the holiday was already in place.

Saying no to the Rosa Parks gold medal funded by tax payer dollars was the right move. I am going to see if he has ever voted YES for a gold medal recipient. Will chime in later when I have looked into it.

As for laws that would bring segregation back, I would have to see some examples to see if they are anything more than the same theme of leaving states rights intact.

The white supremist thing and the newsletters are regrettable. In fact, I find the context and content deplorable. I understand why libertarians at the time did it, I don't like that they did. That said, they stopped doing it and their current actions define them. The only racist candidates I see are the anti-arabs.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

The isolationist one is one that I've heard from a few people. "He wants to get us out of the UN, that's crazy!" Yeah, I guess an international organization trumping the Constitution is cool. That doesn't like, threaten our national sovereignty or anything.

And if you're not bombing countries, that doesn't mean you'll trade with them and engage in peaceful means of contact, it automatically means your walling yourself in and going rogue like North Korea.

Here's a good video of him clarifying the difference between noninterventionism and isolationism:

edit on 27-12-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
On the baseless accusations of racism, here's a video of that hateful racist explaining how blacks are treated unfairly according to the drug laws:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Yup... can definately put the Rosa Parks thing to bed.

According to his spokeswoman, Rachel Mills:

"It is certainly nothing personal against Mr. Palmer. In fact, Congressman Paul admires him greatly. Dr. Paul opposes using public monies for any and all of these gold medals given to private citizens, just on principle. Not to mention, it is unconstitutional to use taxpayer dollars in this way. He even suggested on the House Floor before he voted against Rosa Parks's medal that if it meant so much to the Members of Congress, why not fund the award out of their own pockets? He pulled $100 out of his own wallet, but had no other takers. At a time like this when all budgets are stretched so thin, it seems especially inappropriate to lavish gifts like this on private citizens, as much as he may admire the individual."

sports.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
All of the things in my OP have been researched thoroughly and rehashed over and over for years. The shills just ignore any research proclaim thier false accusations again and again and try to derail any positive conversation by so doing.

There is nothing in Ron Paul's 30 year open book history and track record that is remotely close to the wild accusations they make against him. I know its hard not to engage them because they do influence people but they are losing thier grip as evidenced by the good Doctors growing popularity. So they are getting more desperate and pathetic in thier attacks.

They will not look at the facts and evidence they will just continue to repeat their false accusations this is why I said to ignore them don't engage them just post something positive about Dr Paul instead. Those that want to know will do the research those that knee jerk on emotional hot button lies and myths won't be convinced anyway.

edit on 28-12-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join