It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family burglarized after evacuating Frances...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Here's the story:

Henry and Tracy Ramirez's home in Crystal Beach lost power during Hurricane Frances Friday night.

The couple did the smart thing and evacuated with their two young daughters, leaving behind thousands of dollars in lawn equipment.

The family owns a small repair shop and tried protecting the items as well as they could before leaving.

"We had several weed wackers, line trimmers, blowers, edgers, some chainsaws," said Henry.

When the Ramirez family returned, though, they learned they had been burglarized. Someone had swiped $8,000 in lawn equipment, then pried open a door to the house and stole $1,500 in cash and credit cards.

"I just pulled up and said, 'Oh my God,' " said Henry. "Just financially, the stress it is going to take to repay the companies for the stuff that is missing."

According to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, the Ramirez's home is the only reported burglary during Hurricane Frances, but that doesn't mean homeowners should let their guard down.

"If you have property that is unsecure, take it inside," said Sgt. Tim
Goodman with the sheriff's office. "Put it in the garage, put it in the house, secure your house. That is the best you can do."

The sheriff's office is stressing that if you live in a hurricane evacuation zone and you are asked to leave, do not stay behind to protect personal property.

Deputies suggest if you have an outdoor shed that could be broken into by criminals during a storm, put an extra padlock on it just to be safe. If you are the victim of a theft during a storm, report it to authorities as quickly as possible.

My question is, what kind of idiots would leave $1500 in cash and credit cards lying in an empty house when everyone is getting out of Dodge??? Furthermore, why not just put the stuff in the gargage?
Or, are they lying about the $1500 in cash?....

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

... the Ramirez's home is the only reported burglary during Hurricane Frances...

Clearly a lie. Good luck with the insurance company.

I wonder how many more will jump on the bandwagon though?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The only one burglarized, eh? Sounds really farfetched when you think that the burglars knew exactly what house to break in and where to find their hidden stash. Hmmm?

[edit on 10/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yeah, the local news is really playing it up... I guess they're overlooking the obvious...

top topics

join