It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2012 ATS Challenge. End of the world, or not?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by vasaga

Care to elaborate on that?

Could 2012 be a new beginning?

The Mayans predicted the end of an age. Is the end of this age a requisite to start another? I would think so.

I would think it requires a change in thinking, something along the lines that we no longer need to be greedy, that we need to share resources.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I just started and finished the book "One Second After" yesterday after recommendations from here and a couple other survivalist sites and, wow. For me to read an entire fiction in one day is A statement (I don't like reading things I cant learn something applicable). I've always been aware of the dangers and our vulnerability to EMP but that story put it into context. Whether nuke (conventional or false flag) or solar type (carrington event) I think this is extremely probable.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I never felt the Dec. 2012 thing had much merit in the sense the world was coming to an end. I have felt it just might be a time of great awakening and a revealing of a truth. Then again it will more then likely just pass us by like another day in history.

There isn't much evidence that is conclusive proof of a doomsday event on that date.

At any rate tho maybe the Mayans were doing it just to mess with people of the future? "Hey let's make a date for xxx amount of years a head just to mess with future generations"

No one ever said the mayans didn't have a sense of humor right ?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

The end of the Mayan Long Count was marked by a celebration, pretty much an ushering into a new era of consciousness.

It's good to see another member of ATS in grip with the Mayan hype. I totally agree with the new age of consciousness aspect. It's yet to be seen. Care to add any links?

However, sooo many people think the world will end in 2012. Would you think the consciousness would determine that?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm inclined to think we'll still be here. Did a little homework a few years ago when a friend was taking an astronomy class and everyone had to pick an astronomical subject to write a paper on. Asked him if anyone was doing anything on 2012... no. Anyway, stumbled across one article that had a graphic that put MY mind at ease.

I always figured the Mayan calendar was based in large part on movements in the night sky so, when I saw this, I came to the realization that all of the timekeeping place marks will be in new locations, making it impossible to continue to track time in the same manner. That's the rationale I applied to my question anyway.

Trying to make my New Year's resolution to live each day as if it were my last... just in case

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I haven't a clue what will happen. Though I think there will be some incredible End Of The World Parties...it will probably be a fashion trend. At least one of them will be covered on TV.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GR1ill3d
I never felt the Dec. 2012 thing had much merit in the sense the world was coming to an end. I have felt it just might be a time of great awakening and a revealing of a truth. Then again it will more then likely just pass us by like another day in history.

There isn't much evidence that is conclusive proof of a doomsday event on that date.

At any rate tho maybe the Mayans were doing it just to mess with people of the future? "Hey let's make a date for xxx amount of years a head just to mess with future generations"

No one ever said the mayans didn't have a sense of humor right ?

Sorry...just had to post it....

edit on 27-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
2012 isn't here yet. I do know that history shows us that other cultures have come and gone, many of us are the survivors of those before us. We manage to carry on and move forward. No worries...it goes on

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ludshed

Excellent point. Kudos!

An EMP would wipe out our whole telecommunication grid. Nobody could talk to anyone else, in the current ways. Cell phones, cars electronics, military vehicles, all dead. Chaos. End of the world as we know it scenario.

Maybe I should have made the title, End of Civilization, or Not. However, the major premise was to debunk the idea that the earth would cease to exist after December 21st, 2012.

An EMP would end society as we know it. I'm talking about one from the sun, hitting the earth. It's happened before. I'd also allow an EMP due to terrorist activity, but then after, I'm speculating.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by vasaga

Care to elaborate on that?

Could 2012 be a new beginning?

The Mayans predicted the end of an age. Is the end of this age a requisite to start another? I would think so.

I would think it requires a change in thinking, something along the lines that we no longer need to be greedy, that we need to share resources.
Well.. I definitely see it as the end of an age also. In a way, a have a mixture of expectation and hope, that global systems like economics and governments will collapse and we'll have to start over, hopefully with new ideas instead of trying the same stuff that doesn't work over and over again...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I've actually covered a number of the 2012 claims already. If you check the links in my sig I explain that the Maya never placed any special emphasis on 2012 and that many people's thoughts on the Mayan calendar system are wrong. I also go a little bit into the fact that there is no Hopi prophecy associated with 2012. On top of that all of my information is cited so you can go back and double-check my research.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

You cannot track time. It's an arbitrary measurement, relevant to to your own position.

I also, live day to day. I don't fear the future, because, in part, I create it.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
From what I have witnessed and also from what I have learned be it in knowledge or in the form of wisdom.

There is going to be a lot of people committing suicide next year.

Wow, my first prediction.

The reason I say this is because I did a hypnosis session at a party and was accused and attacked by self confessed god fearing Christian's for "being the devil" (they invited me to do this) and almost burned at the stake, not exaggerating either (UK).

If this can happen at someones birthday party, I can tell you it is going to be crazy with a prediction that has lasted almost ten years that everyone pretends they do not believe.

(I am not attacking every single christian out there, im just stating something that happened, I know that not everyone is the same)
edit on 27-12-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Well, before the END, I'd like to party with you.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Can you please provide me with the prophecies or even the names of the civilizations that mention 2012? I have had to ask this question time and time again and rarely get an answer. If I do get an answer it is almost always a copy and pasted list from a forum of civilizations that don't actually have any 2012 prophecies. So far the only civilization I have found that mentions 2012 in any way is the Maya and they don't even place any kind of particular importance on it.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Well, before the END, I'd like to party with you.

You do realize...I make one hell of a home made apple brandy...er...cough syrup....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

So true. We have records of civilizations going back 10,000 years and more. If 2012 is a natural disaster, the human species will find a way to survive, there is no doubt about that. My research indicates that humanity has had many set-backs in our evolution, and IF a natural disaster occurred in 2012 we'd somehow survive.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I think you're being slightly over-reactionary. I think a de-evolution in government would be a good thing. Once people realize that power itself is an illusion, things should come out right. Any absence of government towards anarchy is a good thing, in my view.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Xcal, that is my point. 2012 is hype. There are no ancient calendars that correlate to the Gregorian, so therefore the 2012 date is a modern invention. I am trying to debunk the 2012 hype. It's completely illogical.

Or not.

If someone can provide something substantial that refutes their claims, well.....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

What's wrong with drinking cough syrup before the end of the world?

At least I'd be smiling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join