It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists test sick Alaska seals for radiation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

edit on 28-12-2011 by yamammasamonkey because: Double post

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Let's not push all the blame to Japan.

BP ruined the oceans as well and all of those toxins would have traveled the global waterways by now.

Before them it was Exxon.

This is sad indeed.

Oil spills are devastating to the environment true. However these lesions and hair loss do not directly link to petroleum products. They do link to radiation poisioning.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

It was an earth quake and tsunami. Boy o boy is everything a conspiracy ???

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

The fact that there is barely any news coming out of Japan on a daily basis blows my mind away it is just incredible. I'm in Ontario, Canada and its pretty clear to me that based on models that have been released since day one of this disaster

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
In a perfect
world they would they would be testing the 9/11 responders and residents of lower Manhattan for radiation poisoning . . . not just seals.

Personally, I stopped buying tinned Pacific salmon a few weeks ago.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The masters of puppets will never put humanity, or life in general, above their beloved economy. They have done their work well of burying this disaster. Of course the stupid sheople swallow it all and go about as if they are not being slowly cantaminated. One of these days this planet is gonna shake us all off like fleas. ~SheopleNation

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by descendedstar

my daughter started having thyroid problems in September. I try not to think it could be connected but I worry that it is.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This is going to sound off the wall but I had some tests done on my noggin a few years ago related to a possible brain tumor. I had a barium injection as part of the procedure for the scan. I don't know if it was an MRI or a Catscan or whatever. I'm not knowledgeable about medical technical stuff.

I was a little frightened of the radiation from the barium but the technician told me it has a very short half life and would not be active after a couple of days (I think). Any technical faults in this story are mine, not his.

Anyway, I have been a serious meditator since 1976, so I am very familiar with sensations in the body and have developed better than average awareness of my body, through meditation.

While sleeping, I became aware of the sensation of the barium in my brain . . . radiating.

It felt like being sunburned, . . . from the inside, in a small area inside my head. It was odd, not painful, but I have fair skin and the sensation of being sunburned, from childhood, is well established in my history of sensory experiences.

Having the radiation source in me was like feeling the rays of the sun, inside, sunburning me.

Maybe that experience might help someone who has a dose.
edit on 28-12-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

These type issues are what concern me. But I have no idea where exactly your location is or the statistics for thyroid problems for the age group that your daughter is in, i would look into it. Hope your daughter feels well... Sorry everyone i didn't mean to thread jack..

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Here is another article posted about this,from a different source.

While reports keep rolling in, the official total stands at 130 dead ring seals washing up in the Bering Strait. Found with bleeding lesions on the hind flippers, irritated skin around the eyes and nose, and patchy hair loss on the animals’ fur coat, these coincide perfectly with the symptoms of radiation poisoning for both humans and other animals. According to Medline Plus, some key symptoms of radiation sickness are:

Hair loss (seen on the fur coats of the animals)
Open sores on the skin (found on the hind flippers)
Skin burns such as redness and blistering (seen around the eyes and nose)
Confusion Inflammation of exposed areas
Seal Symptoms Perfectly Match Radiation Sickness Indicators According to the reports,

the animals are known to have suffered from many of these key symptoms, with ongoing research examining the bodies of the seals for further indications. It should be no surprise that Fukushima radiation is killing animals in the Pacific, as peer-reviewed research has already linked Fukushima radiation to the deaths of over 14,000 humans. In fact, 130 seal deaths is most likely only the beginning. It will surely not be long before an increased death toll is reported not only for ring seals, but other creatures dwelling in the Pacific and near the Fukushima disaster as well.

naturalsociety.com...

In reality,it's just global warming ,thats all.

Even after the results are ready, however, it is important to ask the question as to whether or not the public will be kept in the dark regarding the true significance of this finding.

That is going to be their story,you watch.

edit on 28-12-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
reply to post by descendedstar

my daughter started having thyroid problems in September. I try not to think it could be connected but I worry that it is.

So sorry to hear about your daughter,my heart goes out to you.
You daughters location would be helpful,like on the west coast of the US?
Their are many on here who could help pin point the rads in your local.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

I as well hope that she will be ok my friend. They put economics, profit and power over all life on this planet. I hope that what's going on with your daughter turns out to have nothing to do with any of that. I wish you and your family only the best. ~SheopleNation

edit on 28-12-2011 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Artlicious

Why didn't they make this the first thing they tested for, to rule it out. 

Because they believed Tepco and JapGov when they said that everything was under control and here was no need to worry as any radiation releases would have been minimal. Anything else would call in to question the official reports, and we all know how reliable those reports are...right?

reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Sellafield is indeed on of the big baddies of oceanic pollution and not many people even know about it. 

Regarding the other potential causes you mention, your first link is an article from 2009 and the second is 2007.  

While both of those have the potential to affect the seals (ringed, bearded and don't forget walruses mentioned in the October article) in the same way as we are seeing now, the timing is a bit suspect. 

Are there reports of animals with similar symptoms in this vicinity from before March 2011? 

Regardless of the cause (and you are correct in that trying to directly link it to Fukushima is difficult) there is a tremendous amount of pollution being dumped in to the sea from a variety of sourcs, and has been for decades.

At some point critical mass will be reached (pun intended) and we may see massive die offs which will bode get poorly for us humans...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The pessimist in me believes we will never know the truth of this.

How can they possibly release the data stating that seals and other aquatic animals are now starting to drop dead from Fukishima's radiation poisoning of the oceans (and ultimately the entire hydrological cycle) ? Imagine the panic if that info spreads across the media like a wildfire...

Nope, TPTB will never let the truth out until it gets leaked many many years later. They do not trust the public to handle the situation like rational grownups. It's far better to just let us all slowly drop dead alongside the food chain.

Unless we have some wonderfully humanitarian scientists willing to put their lives on the line and leak the data out right away, money and power will keep this all under wraps.

It's how the nuclear shills have been able to claim their bogus safe levels of radiation all these years... they have the money and power to sweep the truth under the rug long enough to make it virtually impossible to prove direct scientific causation in the time frame that it needs to be done... You can't claim causation 20 years after the fact because by that time 6000 other possible factors can fall into play.

Checkmate.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
The pessimist in me believes we will never know the truth of this.

How can they possibly release the data stating that seals and other aquatic animals are now starting to drop dead from Fukishima's radiation poisoning of the oceans (and ultimately the entire hydrological cycle) ? Imagine the panic if that info spreads across the media like a wildfire...

Nope, TPTB will never let the truth out until it gets leaked many many years later. They do not trust the public to handle the situation like rational grownups. It's far better to just let us all slowly drop dead alongside the food chain.

Unless we have some wonderfully humanitarian scientists willing to put their lives on the line and leak the data out right away, money and power will keep this all under wraps.

It's how the nuclear shills have been able to claim their bogus safe levels of radiation all these years... they have the money and power to sweep the truth under the rug long enough to make it virtually impossible to prove direct scientific causation in the time frame that it needs to be done... You can't claim causation 20 years after the fact because by that time 6000 other possible factors can fall into play.

Checkmate.

Very well said,
I like how you think!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Ding ding ding, you certainly hit the target there!

From an article @ global post:

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has declared the seals' deaths an "unusual mortality event" (UME). According to Mother Jones Magazine, a declaration of a UME triggers a scientific investigation. At least two of the three recently declared marine UMEs have implications for human health.

So looking up the food chain from seals, we have polar bears (which haven't been symptomatic), sharks and orca are probably eating seal also.

What animals would be on the equivalent level of the chain as seals and eating the same things they, along with walruses, are?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It looks like there have been numerous articles leading up to the one in my OP:

Seal Deaths Stump Scientists

Necropsies and lab tests have found lesions, fluid in the lungs white spots on the liver and abnormal brain growths, the release said. Some animals were found with smaller-than-usual lymph nodes, which could indicate that the animal's immune system was compromised.

The abnormal lesions do not appear to be isolated to Alaska. Seals and walruses in Canada and Russia have also been noted with similar symptoms.

"While it is not clear if the disease events are related, the timing and location of the disease suggests the possibility of transmission between the populations, or shared exposure to an environmental cause," the release said.

Mysterious Disease Killing Alaskan Seals

He fears it “could be a reflection of a larger problem across the entire Arctic coastal ecosystem.”

Native residents along Alaska’s Arctic coast have been warned not to eat sick animals or feed the meat to their dogs in case the pathogen can infect other species.

Radiation investigated as possible cause of Alaska ringed-seal deaths

The work so far has yielded at least one important clue: "Tests indicate a virus is not the cause," said a recent press release from NOAA and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Some wonder if radiation could be causing the skin sores and related problems, including ulcers on internal organs and abnormal growths on brains.

Now the waiting for results for "several weeks" begins. Knowing how short the attention span is of most people, we'll be lucky if this gets any follow up.

Stay tuned!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I posted a reply months back on this issue, it snowed, the surfaces that was covered with the snow where radioactive, it melted, entered the sewer system, it also rained that entered the food chain, into the ocean, birds eating radioactive food, bugs and the like, also the dropings from these birds, the radioactive dust blowing in the wind out over land and the sea, so who in the US Government will tell the truth, media won't cover, look at the bayou in the states dead in 10 years of oil spill by-products, very hush, hush, media will be arrested if they investergate, story was done and canned, by navy, oil still leaking from other areas but they won't say so, so who is blow the whistle here. Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If radiation is the cause of the seals dying, japan could be held respinsible because of their stupid actions like dumping highly radioactive water used in the depleted uraniun tanks directly into the ocean.

abcnews.go.com...
articles.cnn.com...:WORLD
www.bbc.co.uk...

They should be held responsible for poluting the ocean with highly radioactive water and somehow punished for this.
They practically poluted our rain water and water in general.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Update:
Sick Alaska seals will be tested for Japanese radiation

By DAN JOLING Associated Press Published: January 3rd, 2012 06:11 PM Last Modified: January 3rd, 2012 06:11 PM

Tissue samples from Alaska's sickened ringed seals will be analyzed for evidence of radiation, but the scientist preparing to do so says he doubts there's a connection to the Japanese nuclear plant damaged by a tsunami last year.

"My gut feeling is that there's nothing there, that the answer lies in something else that's in the sea," said John Kelly, a professor emeritus of chemical oceanography at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

Kelly said the widespread presence of the seal and walrus problem indicates to him that the answer lies in something else in the northern waters.

As for other effects from the Japan nuclear plant, Kelly said, he has not been contacted to test for radiation on debris that's expected to show up on the shore of Alaska and the West Coast, but it should be tested.

"We strongly feel that should be done," he said.

Now I have to wonder if the scientist doing the testing having the initial bias of the problem not being radiation could skew the results.

And then in the very same interview, expressing concern about the possible contamination of the debris. Why would the debris be contaminated, and the seals (which live in the same ocean on which the debris is floating) would not?

Is it just me or is there some inconsistency there?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join