It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Reports Record Gun Sales

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Some highlights from the article:

-1.5 million new background checks for gun sales in December alone.
- New one-day records set for Black Friday (130,000) and December 23rd (102,000)

So, what do you think has inspired this sudden interest in purchasing firearms?

There are some interesting suggestions posted in the comments of the CNN article which include:

-Popular culture creating a new interest in gun ownership thanks to new TV shows
-Fear of criminals, and a lack of faith in the police ability to protect people.
-Fear of the police themselves, or of the police state.
-Fear that Obama will take away 2nd amendment rights.
-Fear of the end-times, martial law, 2012, other conspiracies, etc.

Personally, I think that if you combine all these factors and add to them the realization that we are headed into what is sure to be one of the most interesting Presidential races in history, it explains a lot.

The times they are a changin'.

And people want to be armed.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I've given much more consideration lately to gun ownership. I don't really like them, but I think of all of the people in the world who don't have a gun, and I want one more..

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Good on them for deciding (for whatever reason) to exercise their freedom to own guns.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Firearms are considered blue collar gold these days. People are not only flocking to them as recreational, hunting, and defense tools, but they are also using them for investments. Firearms tend to hold and increase in value as long as they are properly handled and maintained. What better way to protect your investment than with some firepower that will do nothing but appreciate in value?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

God made man. Sam Colt made us equal. This is foremost on every corrupt politicians mind.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I don't know why I laughed out loud reading this. As far as why gun sales are headed upward, I think the guesses listed here are as good as any. I particularly liked "Fear of the police themselves, or the police state." But they did leave out "Anticipation of food riots"

It appears that people are catching on to the fix we're in. And they obviously don't expect the outcome to be pretty....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Hmmmm,
Record gun sales this Christmas.
I wonder why.

It couldn't be because gun clubs are the new social gathering.
Could it?

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Those comments could all be true, but since the record days were black friday and dec 23 dont you think maybe it had somethingvto do with christmas?

If I made a comment saying walmart had record sales on b friday or dec 23 would you think it had anything to do with obama?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

What's sparking it?

For the first time in many decades Americans are becoming more and more aware of how important it is to exercise ones rights. This goes across party lines as well. The Gun; pistol,"assault" rifle, or shotgun, is a symbol of American individual sovereignty. It is a tool of defense of ones right to life and the liberty to live it.

Americans are understanding the importance of it each and every day.

Guns. Not just for republicans anymore.
edit on 27-12-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Those comments could all be true, but since the record days were black friday and dec 23 dont you think maybe it had somethingvto do with christmas?

If I made a comment saying walmart had record sales on b friday or dec 23 would you think it had anything to do with obama?

Ha!

I'll come clean with my real thesis.
It's dry and boring.

America is growing out of it's perpetual state of infantilization.
Kids used to say defiantly "I can't wait till I grow up, so I can do what I want!"
But after three generations people are realizing that being grown up
mean accepting more responsibility.

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

Buy GUNS. There are unarmed children in China!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I walked into a Wally World store on the 23rd and saw AR15s and tactical shotguns for sale. (Good prices too). I have NEVER seen Wally World sell those types of guns before.

I hope they continue.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Those were not one-day records for the year... they were 'all-time' records...

As in, "Twice this year, more Americans tried to buy more guns in one day than at any time, on any other day, in history."

Sure, Christmas has something to do with why those days in particular had a lot of sales, but it still doesn't explain why THIS Christmas (as opposed to all previous Christmases) had so many sales.

And what's this about Obama? I didn't say anything about Obama... other than referencing what one person said on CNN comments about 2nd amendment rights.

Geez... talk about an ideological knee-jerk reaction!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

I was actually considering getting a gun myself, and i am very firm believer in never using violence. But the way the state of the world is heading, i don't trust people i don't know and i certainly don't trust the police to keep me safe.

Not many Australians own guns, in fact the only people i know personally that do are farmers.

But i'd agree that people are buying guns as a result of the governments terrible, oppressive nature to be and increase in police state measures.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I also have been considering getting a gun recently. This would make me a first-time gun owner. I can't totally pinpoint why I feel like I need one, but it's certainly scratched at my conscious a little. Still might get one. Any suggestions for handguns, anyone?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Linkamoto

Indeed.

Ruger SR9 or SR9c(compact). It's a 9mm polymer frame handgun with a 17 round capacity. EXTREMELY accurate and reliable. My favorite 9mm pistol to date. It's also very affordable. at 300-400 bucks.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
actually, that is only part of the story.
the article doesn't even mention the states where you can buy them at flea markets, gun shows, private sales etc........without a background check.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

So, what do you think has inspired this sudden interest in purchasing firearms?

My first thought when I read this question was "NDAA"

I believe that a lot of people have been awakened by this Bill. And the ones that were already awake, this Bill removes all doubts of what is coming for the People of this country. People are worried what the PTB will do next and they would rather die on their feet than to live on their knees as a slave, or in this case, a prisoner thrown into a Military Brigade somewhere in the World, never to be heard from again.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

edit on 27-12-2011 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

that is a good choice.
everyone loves glocks, but i can't stand them, i just can't get over the fact that it's like holding a water pistol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join