It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Mainstream Media Cannot Be Trusted: Exhibit A

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is a screenshot taken from the top page of yahoo's financial news as I write this:

Now let's look at the mixed message being sent here.

From the top story:
Company to close at least 100 Sears, Kmart stores

NEW YORK (AP) -- After a disastrous holiday shopping season, the parent company of Sears and Kmart will close at least 100 stores to raise cash — a move that sparked speculation about whether the 125-year-old retailer can avoid a death spiral fed by declining sales and deteriorating stores.

OK, so we have a "disasterous holiday season." But look at the next story up:

Consumer confidence index surges in December

Americans are gaining faith that the economy is on the upswing.An improving job outlook helped the Consumer Confidence Index soar to the highest level since April and near a post-recession peak...

So which one is it? "surging" consumer confidence or a "disasterous" holiday season? Is Oceana at war with Eurasia or Eastasia?

Coherence? Integrety? Unified message? Bueller?

edit on 12/27/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Orwellian double speak. I am surprised that they put both ads on the same page though.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

It was a disastrous holiday shopping season for Kmart/Sears. Not for the nation as a whole. Wow

edit on 27-12-2011 by BlackOops because: it's its

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
first thing that came to my mind was "how many total stores do they have"
I googled it

looks like the parent company has over 3900 total stores.... does 100 really matter with that many?

I highly doubt it.

Therefore I concur - MSM are nothing but Drama Queens - making a big deal over nothing

same as if 5 new jobs are created in a small town, they'll call it a "boom" of some sort, ignoring the other 200 people who are still out of work

And now that I put it out there in that manner, it looks to me like they're just trying to appease the general public by saying, "hey, there's a couple jobs out there! and don't feel too bad, cause Sears is suffering too!"

Sears can bite me.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

looks like the parent company has over 3900 total stores.... does 100 really matter with that many?

I highly doubt it.
Unless you are one of the thousands of employees now headed for the unemployment lines. Would it matter to you then?

new topics

top topics

join