It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo 18 a real stinker!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I went to see Apollo 18 wen it first opened several months ago. As my headline says and it dares repeating, it was a real stinker.

I am a long-term sci-fi fan of books and movies and somewhat educated in how and why movies are made. Those are about my only qualifications in claiming that I wasted my nine bucks on that travesty.

It is not a space movie. It is a gothic horror movie (of extremely poor quality) set in space with minimal cast, sets, and sadly, script. I won't go into the details of my objects except one observation and one bit of info. The info is that the movie instantly disappeared from the theaters and here it is now on DVD. That is telling. I suggest tat you don't spend more on the DVD than you would have at the theater. It will be a classic in my view, however, as absolutely the worst movie I have every seen of any type in my long years.

About half way through the movie it dawned on my why there was so much intense and over-the-top noise and screaming put into the sound track. I can imagine the producer looking at the poor quality hand-held camera gimmicky results and saying, "Oh, dear (put in your own expletive) we can fix that. Get the audio people in here."

In watching the movie you begin to wonder where all of the sounds are coming from in that little LEM and in those space suits. It was a clever move to attempt to overload your auditory senses and substance to the tale, but even that did not work, it merely was a clear sign that they knew it was bad from beginning to end and tried to distract the viewer with an audio assault.

I have never walked out on a bad movie in my life, but if not for my companion, I would have on this one--only to learn later that she felt the same as I. And so did two others that i queried as we left.

Some bad movies are campy and even funny. This dog is not one of that breed. Hwever, it will be a classic...of sorts.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I watched it last week and I liked it, I thought for a really low budget film they did amazing with effects.
OT but watch a film called Love (Its a space film) now that is a good space film www.imdb.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You beat me to it, imdb, that is why I didn't watch it

edit on 27/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo/grammar/syntax

edit on 27/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: And a typo too

ETA To the OP, I read absolutely nothing of your rant to be honest but I'm sure it was very good! The title and imdb rating are enough for me. I totally commiserate with you though. It is indeed a "fairly feeble film".

edit on 27/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Well, for one, i hope you realize that it was shot like that on purpose to simulate a kind of old archive footage, to try and add a genuine feel to the movie. Frankly, i think they did a good job, for a low budget film; the effects as well. Ive seen high budget films that were worse then this. Overall, imo, it wasnt that bad of a movie.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Watching the DVD now.
It's not so bad, In my humble opinion.
edit on 28-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

ETA
Wasn't bad. I enjoyed it.

edit on 28-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I have seen perviews on this movie and wanted to see it. I heard that it was half fact and half fiction. Guess I'll have to check out IMBD. After all the bad reviews I have seen and read I think I'll keep my money and borrow it from someone.

join