It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada shipping bomb-grade uranium to U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Canada shipping bomb-grade uranium to U.S.

ca.news.yahoo.com

MONTREAL - Weapons-grade uranium is quietly being transported within Canada, and into the United States, in shipments the country's nuclear watchdog wants to keep cloaked in secrecy.

A confidential federal memo obtained through the Access to Information Act says at least one payload of spent, U.S.-origin highly enriched uranium fuel has already been moved stateside under a new Canada-U.S. deal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well...Since Canada doesn't have a Nuclear Weapons Programme, but do safe house a few American Nuclear Bombs from what I've heard, who else are we going to sell it to? Also all the Nuclear Plants are close to the border (I'm actually only a few miles from the Power Plant in NB for the Holidays), should be a quick and easy transfer...

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
You know, when it says that "The shipments stem from the highly publicized agreement signed last year by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and U.S. President Barack Obama, amid fears that nuclear-bomb-making material could fall into the hands of terrorists." well, my concern is that we ARE sending it to the terrorists. The American Government and alphabet divisions of it. If anything it shouldn't be used in the first place for destruction.

"The U.S. government says it wants to convert the uranium into a form that cannot be used to build nuclear weapons.", for some strange reason I just don't believe this part of the story either .. call me pessimistic lol

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Canada does a lot of nuke destroying. We consistently received and dismantle nuclear weapons. It's not a secret and it's not strange for them to re-transport the fuel back to the country of origin if this is the case.

Canada has a deep dark secret in Nuclear stuff though, we gave most middle eastern countries and "rogue" nations the reactors to make nuclear weapons. The Aptly named CANDU reactor.

Interesting stuff to research I tell ya that. Personally though, I'd rather ship all the nuclear weapon crap to another country, any country but my Canada.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/27/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So as far as ME countries having nukes...What you're saying is..."Blame Canada"?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Please explain, Canada holds US nukes?

Where did you hear that?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is not news..
We have been mining and exporting uranium for a long time.
To whom i cannot be sure,

But this takes the cake, no chance is uranium being used for anything good. it should be left in the ground where it belongs.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

What are you talking about?

The world was heavily in favour of Canada distributing the CANDU reactor specifically because it can run on enriched or NATURAL uranium.

Most of those distributed were payed for by NPT signatories because it removed the excuse that belligerent nations "required enriched uranium for power generation".

Any Canada supplied reactors that are used for enrichment are CIRUS reactors (based on the NRX) reactors, to which India is the only current operator (aside from Canada). And to be fair, that reactor was supplied prior to the NPT.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

ME & India

But yeah, blame us, we don't like to talk about it, but our actions from decades ago contributed significantly to the tensions and dangers in that area of the world.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Where did you hear that?

The first US nuclear weapon came to Canada in 1950 when the USAF stationed 11 Fat-Man atomic bombs at Goose Bay, Labrador.
From 1963 to 1984, Canada fielded a total of four tactical nuclear weapons systems which deployed several hundred nuclear warheads

Wikipedia

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Canada has supposedly been in possession of US nukes from the Cold War days.

I don't know if it has ever been officially verified.

Although, the point is rather moot, Canada 'could' have operational nuclear weapons inside of a month. We have the technical expertise and enough enriched product at research facilities to do so.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It was only a few years ago that the UK was also shipping Uranium to the US in exchange for Plutonium.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I knew Canada was the scourge of the world.

*Shakes fist*

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Thanks for that link
I will give it a read!

If Canada, for what ever reason, decided to construct a nuke, how long would it take them to build one? I ask do to point of interest not out of any fear that Canada wants to take over the world
Thanks
edit on 27-12-2011 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I think it would take them very little time. Building a nuke is not the black art it used to be. These days any nuke graduate from MIT could build a nuclear weapon provided he had the materials and manufacturing capabilities. Canada DOES have these capabilities and could built a nuke in a matter of a week or so if they chose to.

Also, I fear Canada may be trying to take over the world. One polite gesture at a time. *shivers in fear*

Canada, just one "eh" away from total domination I tell ya.

edit on 27-12-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kreighton
You know, when it says that "The shipments stem from the highly publicized agreement signed last year by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and U.S. President Barack Obama, amid fears that nuclear-bomb-making material could fall into the hands of terrorists." well, my concern is that we ARE sending it to the terrorists. The American Government and alphabet divisions of it. If anything it shouldn't be used in the first place for destruction.

"The U.S. government says it wants to convert the uranium into a form that cannot be used to build nuclear weapons.", for some strange reason I just don't believe this part of the story either .. call me pessimistic lol

No offense to Americans, but we ARE sending it to the terrorists--->> "U.S. government"

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

We dominate like the slow ebb of maple syrup!

You have no defense to our sensibilities...and our tastiness!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Canada continues to promote peaceful nuclear technology exemplified by the CANDU reactor. Unlike most designs, the CANDU does not require enriched fuel, and in theory is therefore much less likely to lead to the development of weaponized missile fuel. However, like all power reactor designs, CANDU reactors produce and use plutonium in their fuel rods during normal operation (roughly 50% of the energy generated in a CANDU reactor comes from the in situ fission of plutonium created in the uranium fuel),[40] and this plutonium could be used in a nuclear explosive if separated and converted to metallic form (albeit only as reactor-grade plutonium, and therefore of limited military usefulness). Accordingly, CANDU reactors, like most power reactors in the world, are subject to safeguards under the United Nations which prevent possible diversion of plutonium. CANDU reactors are designed to be refuelled while running, which makes the details of such safeguards significantly different from other reactor designs. The end result, however, is a consistent and internationally accepted level of proliferation risk.

en.wikipedia.org...

It could very much still be used to make plutonium grade bombs. Either way, we provided nuclear capability to that area of the world..however little capability that is.

~Keeper

edit on 12/27/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Where did you hear that?

I was in the Navy for 10 years. Retired now. I know for a fact that there are nuclear weapons held in the Bedford, NS, Ammunition Depot
Canadian Forces Ammunition Depot Bedford (CFAD Bedford)

but if you ask anyone, they will all spill the rehearsed phrase "I cannot confirm or deny the existence of nuclear weapons in this facility".

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

I thought it was Mars Hill, on account of the 10 mile no fly zone around it?

I heard it was an old nuclear silo built in conjunction with America during the cold war in the event of a Eastern attack.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join