It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9.5 QUAKE hits Siberia!?! WTH? Did I miss Something? 6.7 Upgraded to 9.5!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
So I was just goin through RT website, and came across this, I knew there was a quake recently, but a 9.5?!
Is it a misprint, or did I miss something HUGE?!!!!!?

TextMagnitude of Siberian quake raised to 9.5 The magnitude of the quake that struck south-eastern Siberia late on Tuesday has been raised to 9.5, according to Russia’s emergencies minister Sergey Shoigu. The quake is the strongest ever to be detected in the region he said. There have been no reports of damage or casualties since the tremor - initially reported as 6.7 on the Richter scale - struck a sparsely populated area in the Republic of Tyva near the Russian-Mongolian border. However Shoigu expressed doubts that there has been no damage at all and has ordered the authorities to stay on the alert for any aftershocks that may follow.

Does anybody have any further info on this?
Looks like this was an upgrade of a reported 6.7. How is this much an increase possible? Also I heard the russians are testing ICBM missles. They apparently landed in the pacific region, but maybe somethings going on in siberia as well as far as nukes?rt.com...
edit on 27-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

I don't know it seems pretty weird, I mean more than half of Russia would have felt the quake, because a 9.5 is strong as heck! =/ But lets see what happens.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm seeing nothing on the 3 sources I use.. Just that one earlier in Siberia, settled on as a 6.6 after starting as a 6.9 on paper. I sure hope someone had a bit too much Vodka over there and sending out a bad report. A quake of that size carries global changes. Eeeeek....

That just updated a small one 2 minutes ago. Still nothing out of Russia. Hmm....

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

edit on 27-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
RT?

Got a link?

They do like to sensationalize and exaggerate, occasionally fabricate stuff.

You know, kind of like FoxNews for Russia.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wow that is huge, glad it was "only" 6.7 at the one village. I hadn't heard anything on it.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
RT?

Got a link?

They do like to sensationalize and exaggerate, occasionally fabricate stuff.

You know, kind of like FoxNews for Russia.

Yes, I provided a link, it was RT.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
there was a 6.6 in Soutwestern Siberia, Russia at a Depth of 4.3 Miles today at 10:21 EST according to my earthquake app on my phone that gets the data from the usgs

Siberia USGS link
edit on 27-12-2011 by roaland because: to add link

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I see a 6.6 and a 4.8 in Siberia but that's it.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
newsies are saying 6.6...

link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

Yes I see you edited in a link, but there is nothing on the main page (your link) about this.

Have a link to the actual article? I can't seem to find it.
edit on 27-12-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

link   
How could the major sources misread a 9.5 for a 6.5 ??? Either RT is wrong or the others downplay this quake enormously!!!

link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by AllUrChips

Yes I see you edited in a link, but there is nothing on the main page (your link) about this.

Have a link to the actual article, I can't seem to find it.

Here you go

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is all I can find: RT link
Typo perhaps?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hello

This was a 6.6 earthquake on Mercali scale as USGS said but in Siberia they don't have the same scale...They use the Medvedev-Sponheuer-Karnik scale (MSK) which have 12 intensity degrees...So with this one this earthquake was measured 9.5 MSK...

MSK scale : The Medvedev-Sponheuer-Karnik scale is somewhat similar to the Modified Mercalli (MM) scale used in the United States. The MSK scale has 12 intensity degrees expressed in Roman numerals. The description of 8 MSK is as follows : Damaging / Many people find it difficult to stand, even outdoors. Furniture may be overturned. Waves may be seen on very soft ground. Older structures partially collapse or sustain considerable damage. Large cracks and fissures opening up, rockfalls.

The earthquake in Siberia is estimated at 9.5 MSK, according to Emergency Situations Minister Sergei Shoigu.

Source : earthquake-report.com... ria/

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
biggest i can find is 6.9

uk.reuters.com...

styll looking though

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Here you go

That is an instant classic, especially for RT.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
WTF?? how does one get a 9.5 out of a 6.6? I'll believe it when I see the other geological sites upgrade. Until then, its a case of making a mountain out of a molehill... a good sized one, but still, a molehill.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Been listening/watching RT on and off all day. They are not reporting a 9.5....this size would show up all over the world and equal the 9.5 eq that hit Chile in 1960, which to date is the worlds largest recorded quake. I call mis-print!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I don't think so. 9.5 is BIG. That would have been all over the news.

RT will probably start reporting sightings of Bat Boy next.......

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
WTF?? how does one get a 9.5 out of a 6.6? I'll believe it when I see the other geological sites upgrade. Until then, its a case of making a mountain out of a molehill... a good sized one, but still, a molehill.

A 6.6 MG equals to 120 kilotons of TNT. That in 10 km depth is not really a molehill.
edit on 27-12-2011 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join