It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If There Were No Hypothetical Situations?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
If that were the case would I even be able to ask this question? Or by asking it...would I bring into existence hypothetical situations? Oh please, someone help me wrap my mind around this.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants
If that were the case would I even be able to ask this question? Or by asking it...would I bring into existence hypothetical situations? Oh please, someone help me wrap my mind around this.

if there were no hypothetical situations then you would have no means to ask hypthetical questions about them.

so you're safe...for now.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

if there were no hypothetical situations then you would have no means to ask hypthetical questions about them.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

So you're saying that hypothetical questions cannot exist in the absence of hypothetical situations? I have to disagree strongly with that. For some reason.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

www.abovetopsecret.com...

done by me...3-13-11

Heck-- is where people go,, who don't believe in GOSH--!
edit on 12/27/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

So you're saying that hypothetical questions cannot exist in the absence of hypothetical situations? I have to disagree strongly with that. For some reason.

can light exist without dark? does this analogy even work with this?

i don't think we'd be able to relate abtract ideas like that if there was nothing to compare them to.
everything would be in the then and now.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Everything begins hypothetically, from the first breath you draw as a baby, to the movie you saw last week, to the computer that you are sitting at now. Nothing can be proven to exist until it is experienced by someone, and until it is its existence is hypothetical.

Take into account a similar word; hypothesis, which broken down to its root words means "less than" (Hypo) "proven position" (Thesis). The scientific method begins with a hypothesis, and through experimentation and observation becomes a theory, then a law - or not.

Hope that helps.

edit on 12/27/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Everything begins hypothetically, from the first breath you draw as a baby, to the movie you saw last week, to the computer that you are sitting at now. Nothing can be proven to exist until it is experienced by someone, and until it is its existence is hypothetical.

Take into account a similar word; hypothesis, which broken down to its root words means "less than" (Hypo) "proven position" (Thesis). The scientific method begins with a hypothesis, and through experimentation and observation becomes a theory, then a law - or not.

Hope that helps.

So on observer is necessary for anything to effectively exist. A universe without some sort of awareness would be an exercise in futility. God had to create us.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

done by me...3-13-11

Heck-- is where people go,, who don't believe in GOSH--!
edit on 12/27/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

To be honest "What if there were no hypothetical situations?" is a quote from the late comedian George Carlin.

edit on 12/27/2011 by MissSmartypants because: mistake

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Hope that helps.

So on observer is necessary for anything to effectively exist. A universe without some sort of awareness would be an exercise in futility. God had to create us.

BINGO! Tibetan monks have been searching for that truth forever (what is the sound of one hand clapping and all of that), and here you are with an answer better than 42.

You really are a smartypants.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Flattery will get you anywhere. And thanks for the Hitchhiker's Guide reference. I believe 11 11 is now the new 42.

edit on 12/27/2011 by MissSmartypants because: cuz

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

All situations you can imagine (and many many more) are situations that Have Been, Are, Will Be, and Could Be.

All at the same time.

Like how everything you can experience in a video game exists in potentiation on the disk, and thus only hypothetical until you put the disk in to make it "real"... aka "realize" it.

However despite you being able to take a hypothetical combat situation, put the disk in, and then actually *experience* that combat situation, it doesn't prevent all the other situations in the game that you have done, will do, and could do from not also "existing" in potential still. They don't go away when one potential is activated. It's just a different "state" of everything.
edit on 27-12-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

BINGO! Tibetan monks have been searching for that truth forever (what is the sound of one hand clapping and all of that), and here you are with an answer better than 42.

You really are a smartypants.

42 is as equally a valid answer as God.

The answer isn't in the letters written down. Each of us has our own perception/experience of what "42" means/is and what "God" means/is. Thus two people can say "God did it" or "42 did it" and be perceiving/experiencing totally different takes on reality and fundamentally disagree with each other, but think they agree which is held together by the illusion of understanding created from a common but limited language.

I could hear someone say "42 did it" and hear it as "God did it", but the person standing next to me would say it was gibberish. The problem isn't in the words, but in our perceptions of them.

The piece of dirt between my toes is as equally God as Yahweh or Tao. This is not a bringing *down* of Yahweh/Tao/Infinity or whatever other "God" label someone wants to use, it's bringing the dirt back up to the divinity it truly is. The Uni-verse we experience and the God many people talk to are the exact same thing. Two sides of the same coin.

God is constantly re-creating us in every single moment, just as we are constantly re-creating God in every single moment. Just like if you have two balls on a black background and no other point of reference, if there is motion you can't discern which one is "moving" and which one is "sitting still" or if both are moving. This is true no matter how many dots on the background, the "origin" is always arbitrary.

You created the universe too. So did I. So did Tao. We did it together, as one, but currently perceive it separately.

edit on 27-12-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConfusion

We are that part of God that has chosen to forget that we are God so that God CAN continually re-create Himself/Us.
edit on 12/27/2011 by MissSmartypants because: cuz

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

No disagreement on that vantage point from me.

It's wonderful to see more and more of ourself coming out recently.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

All situations you can imagine (and many many more) are situations that Have Been, Are, Will Be, and Could Be.
reply to post by ErgoTheConfusion

Perhaps that's what the Bible was actually saying when it tells us ....all things are possible with God. Perhaps it was a reference to quatum mechanics that could only in this time period be truly understood and appreciated.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If there were no hypothetical questions, this question would not be hypothetical, and the answer would be: There is no what If because there are no hypothetical questions.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

Flattery will get you anywhere.

And thanks for the Hitchhiker's Guide reference. I believe 11 11 is now the new 42.

I love the Hitchhiker's Guide. I enjoyed the book long before the movie ever came out, and when it did it became one of my favorite films of all time right alongside Full Metal Jacket, Scarface, and the Rocky Horror Picture Show. (It's just a jump to the left.)

11:11 huh? IDK, sounds kinda New Agey to me and it takes a lot to get me to change my mind about something. I don't just pick up every new fad that comes along ya know. That's why I'm so cool.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I don't just pick up every new fad that comes along ya know. That's why I'm so cool.
reply to post by OldCorp

Yeah, as a rule I refuse to like popular things because, of course, if "they" like it, how good can it be?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Perhaps that's what the Bible was actually saying when it tells us ....all things are possible with God. Perhaps it was a reference to quatum mechanics that could only in this time period be truly understood and appreciated

I would agree with that. The Bible, Tao Te Ching, Upanishads, etc all contain enormous amounts of fundamental principles that were described in ways that people then could understand, but were referring to the underlying nature that science is seeing a different way of describing now. Thus why we are needing to translate all the old metaphors for a new audience while retaining the fundamental point.

It's also why God is also called "I am".

If you instead write it as "I am... " you see how God is both "I am" and "I am a puppy" and "I am evil" and "I am an amazing writer". How he/it/she is everywhere, everyone, everything, every moment, every experience, every thought.
edit on 28-12-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion

Perhaps that's what the Bible was actually saying when it tells us ....all things are possible with God. Perhaps it was a reference to quatum mechanics that could only in this time period be truly understood and appreciated

I would agree with that. The Bible, Tao Te Ching, Upanishads, etc all contain enormous amounts of fundamental principles that were described in ways that people then could understand, but were referring to the underlying nature that science is seeing a different way of describing now. Thus why we are needing to translate all the old metaphors for a new audience while retaining the fundamental point.

It's also why God is also called "I am".

If you instead write it as "I am... " you see how God is both "I am" and "I am a puppy" and "I am evil" and "I am an amazing writer". How he/it/she is everywhere, everyone, everything, every moment, every experience, every thought.
edit on 28-12-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

Exacty. We...and everything for that matter... are fractals of God. Thanks for the input.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join