It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Is Our Society Creating These Monsters?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
(Mods please move if this is a better fit in a different section.)

Yes, monsters. Have you turned on the news lately and seen the monsters I'm talking about? These aren't the kind of monsters that you look at and automatically know they are monsters. These are monsters that look harmless on the outside, and on the inside they are quietly waiting for their victims. The thing that is really scary about these monsters is that they look just like the rest of us. Sometimes they give clues to what is going on inside of them, but more often than not the monster inside of them remains hidden until it is discovered that they have committed a horrible crime against an unsuspecting and very often young and innocent vicitm.

Just today, a story came out about the nine year old girl that disappeared from Fort Wayne, Indiana on Friday. Turns out, the man that was babysitting her killed her and then dismembered her body in an attempt to hide his crime.

www.cbsnews.com...

There have been so many cases this year of horrific crimes committed by seemingly normal people. Honestly, I can't even watch Nancy Grace or some of the other shows that are similar anymore. It just makes me sick, seeing the children that have disappeared and then end up being found dead, or the young women that are kidnapped and never found, or found dead. There are vicitms that are elderly, babies disappearing, it seems that even pregnant women aren't even safe anymore due to the fetal kidnapping cases. What is going on in our society?

In an attempt to research this further, I checked out a couple of crime statistic sites. I was attempting to figure out if there are more violent crimes happening, or if it is just that we are hearing about them more. Honestly, I haven't figured it out yet. In any case, the things that have been going on are downright disturbing. Here are a couple of good sites on crime statistics. One is the US crime statistic website, and the other contains statistics on child abduction. The problem with these and many sites is, how accurate are they exactly? Maybe they are, maybe they're not?

US Crime statistics, 1960 - 2010

www.disastercenter.com...

The website below also contains some interesting statistics and information on abductions.

www.intellicorpintouch.com...

What I am looking for ats, is your opinion on this. Do you think that our society is creating more "monsters", and if we are, how? Do you think violent crime has increased, or do we just hear about it more? What's going on with these seemingly normal looking and acting people, who seem normal on the outside but have something very wrong going on inside of their head? What's your opinion on this topic? Do we live in a society where noone can be trusted?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think we just have access to too much info..I mean if you didn't have internet or television you would probably have never known this girl was missing let alone dead.

I think we are overloaded with way too much info..and sometimes the info is so skewed *cough*cough* that it is really hard to know what/whom to trust and not trust....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I don't think we are "creating" more- we just have more people, the percentage is roughly the same. (imo)

Also with the internet, we have easier access to this info.
edit on 27-12-2011 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
I don't think we are "creating" more- we just have more people, the percentage is roughly the same. (imo)

Also with the internet, we have easier access to this info.
edit on 27-12-2011 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

That could very well be. I looked over the US crime statistics pretty well, and crime has definitely gone up over the years, but then so has the population.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Thats's true, we do have alot more access to info. Before the internet and tv, most of the focus in the papers was on local news because it took longer for national or global news to get spread. I'm sure there was an increase in news in newspapers though when telegraphs came into widespread use, but not nearly as much as there is now.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by britelite1971

They aren't really created.. more just born. Granted there are factors like child abuse which will contribute to creating violent psychopaths.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Soceity is not creating them. These type of people have always been around....however, thanks to technology, we hear about it more and more.

I truly believe that these monsters are born that way or are bred that way (upbringing)......
but to blame society? If that were the case, then we would all be this way.

IMO.
edit on December 27th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

They aren't really created.. more just born. Granted there are factors like child abuse which will contribute to creating violent psychopaths.

Do you think that some people are just born evil?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by britelite1971

Originally posted by Miraj

Do you think that some people are just born evil?

Absolutely. Why not? That is a trait of one's personality/character/inner soul (whatever you want to call it). We area all born with certain traits, personalities, character....

While I think it is a rather complex subject...which is evident by all the professionals who dont agree and all the books out there....I believe that it is also rather simple. Nature and nuture: it is what defines us.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Soceity is not creating them. These type of people have always been around....however, thanks to technology, we hear about it more and more.

I truly believe that these monsters are born that way or are bred that way (upbringing)......
but to blame society? If that were the case, then we would all be this way.

IMO.
edit on December 27th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

I didn't mean society as a whole exactly, but more are there aspects of society that are causing people to turn out like this. For instance, could it be upbringing, or increased violence on tv, in movies and video games, etc.? Some people will say that environment is what causes violent behavior, some say people are just born that way (evil so to speak), and some say that it's mental illness. Maybe it's a combination of all them, I don't really know. It does seem like though that there are alot crimes being committed by people that didn't show any outwardly behavior or signs of being disturbed until they committed a violent act.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
How?

Easy, enjoy. No one is born anything. That idea is ridiculous and incorrect, and that isn't an opinion. It's fact that's it's incorrect. People are absolutely products of their society, environments, AND upbringing.

Here:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I watched that video before, and it is very interesting! It sounds like you believe that it's environment more than anything. Do you think it's odd that someone can be completely mentally unhinged until one day they just snap, and noone ever saw it coming?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

In the nature vs. nurture debate, nature lost out a long time ago. Think about it, if you can turn a teenager into a Marine, then society, with all it's flaws and pressures, could plausibly create psychos. Some are a bit screwy at birth, I will admit, but the majority of sociopaths, psychotic individuals or other, are pushed into it by this "wonderful" society that we live in.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Most likely, the male babysitter is a 'psychopath'. OP, there are many extremely informative threads here on ATS about the subject of psychopathy. The psychiatric community though, prefers to call it 'Antisocial Personality Disorder' in their diagnostic manuel, the DSM. Also, there are lots of informative YouTube videos about psychopathy.
The APDs show under brain scan. So this condition needs to be attacked, and in my opinion, via genetic engineering and drugs.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I have to chime in again. I truly feel people can be born this way. People are born gay and others are born attracted to children its just the way they are.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Basically genes, stress, society, and environment contribute to all of that.

Environment can trigger the activation of some "predispositions" i.e. stress can and will activate some conditions that will have a negative psychological impact upon an individual. Taking genetics out of the situation, factors of stress, hopelessness, and desperation will cause individuals to act out and some way "hurt" the society or the system that they believe have wronged them. They aren't really hurting the system or the society, they are hurting other individuals. This is their way of lashing out against. It is wrong, misguided and selfish. I'm not advocating in viewpoint that people are not responsible for what they do and or think. It doesn't matter what one was molded to be, one still chooses what they will be. No one else chooses that expect the individual. In the end, it is up to the individual and their independent will; however, wills can be strong just as they can be weak.

"Snapping" is misguided anger, sadness, loneliness, despair, stress, and sorrow that is targeted at individuals or structures that are believed to cause the problems that the individuals have been imprisoned within. There is choice. There is influence. It is up to our inner strength to overcome, or to become dominated by what we have been subjected to.

No one is born ______________. No one. Everyone is a product of their perception of reality. Everyone chooses how they act from there.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If Americans want to decrease pedophilia
and all the monstrous crimes associated with hiding it
there is one very simple thing that could be done.

The so called women of the US can quit making
the prepubesent hairless body into an ideal.

The rest of the world finds armpit hair attractive,
and a sign that the person is old enough to be sexually active.

But three generations have had their sexual drives inverted
through the hairless ideals of the fashion industry.

In other words,
our American Pop culture Sexual Icons
have taught everyone to get turned off by hairy pits,
and turned on by prepubesent hairlessness.

I don't blame society.
I beleive this was done on purpose as a form of social engineering.
One can sell more products to people who feel ugly and the _need_ to look younger.

David Grouchy

according to This Article
Depilatory sales are still a growth industry.
edit on 27-12-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

uhm..wow...for some reason i assumed you were one of the smarter ones here on this forum.
Because, this statement is....BIZARRE.

So you are saying our women need not to shave to reduce pedophilia?

WOW....just..wow...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
some of them are simply genetic deformatives, while many others are the result of the environment they were constructed in.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

uhm..wow...for some reason i assumed you were one of the smarter ones here on this forum.
Because, this statement is....BIZARRE.

So you are saying our women need not to shave to reduce pedophilia?

WOW....just..wow...

Yes.
I get that a lot.
Usually people just ask me incredulously "Where are you from"
to which I say "Mars"

No my contribution to this thread are based on ten years of discussion with European Professors and South Asian Engineers. Also in my Travels through Japan and Korea, I never met a woman who shaved their pits or crotch.

I know it's not popular to say this.
I know there are billions of advertising dollars informing the public that I'm wrong and their products are right.

But I think the evidence (when one compares the grooming habits of various countries to their rates of Pedophilia)
speaks for itself.

David Grouchy
edit on 27-12-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join