It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia test-fires two nuclear missiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

MOSCOW: The Russian military has successfully test-launched two intercontinental nuclear-capable missiles, the defence ministry said. The Bulava missiles were fired from a submarine in the White Sea on Russia's northwest coast and the test "went as planned," Lieutenant Colonel Igor Konashenkov told Russian news agency Ria Novosti. The missiles hit their targets on the Kamchatka Peninsula in the Pacific Ocean, he said.

A little info about he missiles.

In the 1990s, Russia had two submarine-launched ICBMs, the solid-fuel R-39 and the liquid-fuel R-29 Vysota family, both developed by the Makeyev Design Bureau. A new missile, designated R-39UTTH Bark was under development to replace the R-39. The Bark was planned to become the only submarine launched ballistic missile of the Russian nuclear arsenal.[12] However, its development was plagued with problems, and after three test failures the Bark programme was canceled in 1998. Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology was now tasked with developing a new advanced missile. The institute promised that it would able to quickly develop a new naval missile based on its recent Topol-M land-based ICBM.[13]

So legit test or a shot across the bow/screw you decadent West kind of thing? I'm going to go with boring old legit missile test. If you follow the second link down there it shows that these missiles do not have the highest success rate. Looks like they're doing better now though.

Link

Link

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I thought Nuclear Weapon Testing in the open Atmosphere was banned..

Maybe not

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I agree that it sounds like a legit test.
With all the problems they have had with their nuclear capable missle program, it just sounds like they want to test to see if these newer missile will work as desired before arming them with nuclear warheads.

It would be the logical thing to do to make sure their missiles don't malfunction if/when they use them in a real situation to avoid nuking themselves.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

I don't think they were actually armed with nukes, just testing the actual missile.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The Putin reigime is losing its grip on the Russian people, this is last resort with all the sabre rattling to win public suport. It is endemic in the Russian culture that the USA and the west to a degree are the enemy. Most Russian citizens believe this, Putin is using this to his advantage by posing an empty threat of a war with the west to consolidate a siege mentality and get the people back on his side. This is all this is, Russia are not capable of threatening any NATO nation without the use of Nukes, of which would probably malfunction anyway.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinogur
I thought Nuclear Weapon Testing in the open Atmosphere was banned..

Maybe not

It's more than likely these were missles that have the capability of carrying a nuclear weapon... in the same way that you could fire "blanks" with a handgun.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Waiting,for,another,Norway,spiral

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Why do you all seemed surprised with this?

The US/NATO are building up their missile shield on Russia backyard (Poland/Czech) and several other nearby countries....the same action that you could say Russia did with Cuba in the 1960's.......the US didnt stand for it then and nor should Russia now.

The missile shield is giving the West a false sens of hope that they would be able to repel a nuclear strike from Russia, thus allowing a secondary strike against Russia.

MAD-Mutually Assured Destruction is a thing of the past.

The West actually beleives that winning a nuclear attack/war is achievable.

And that is the only way to take out Russia and China given their size and scope without having ground troops there for the next 100 years.

The world is going down the toilet faster than you can flush it!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Legit test.

This missile is what caused the Norway spiral and have had a few issues but the Russians are sticking with it.

Lot's of information can be found here:

www.russianspaceweb.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

Why do you all seemed surprised with this?

I get the feeling you didn't even read the responses...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I can't help but wonder why this thread is in the 'WW3' section, more scaremongering I guess.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

So legit test or a shot across the bow/screw you decadent West kind of thing? I'm going to go with boring old legit missile test.

Just your standard missile test. No big deal. The Russians pre announce these missile tests with navigational closure areas. Think of the new START treaty between Russia and the US? The old treaty allowed each respective side to monitor the missile telemetry in accordance with the treaty. Neither side want to make a mistake and for their early warning sats and radars to pick up what can be interpreted as an attack. The US when conducting such test also informs the Russians.

The missile launches had been planned for earlier in the year and fully public knowledge.

www.defencetalk.com...

top topics

join