It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic Article...."I Found Life On Mars In 1976, Scientist Says"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I found this article from 2003. Fascinating.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Gilbert Levin, who was in charge of a life-detection experiment on NASA's historic Viking mission in 1976, says his biology experiment detected activity in the Martian soil.

"We obtained positive data corresponding with all the pre-mission criteria, which proved the existence of microbial life in the soil of Mars," Levin, who is the CEO of biotechnology firm Spherix, Inc., said in a telephone interview from his company's headquarters in Beltsville, Maryland.

NASA saw it differently. After scientists conducted additional experiments, which contradicted Levin's initial findings, the space agency concluded that Mars is a dead planet

He now charges that the organic analysis instrument used by NASA for the Viking expedition was too insensitive, requiring millions of microorganisms to detect any organic matter. It even failed to detect organic material on Earth in some instances, said Levin.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
There seems to be some major inconsistencies here.

Does he have a better explanation to why the follow-up tests did not detect anything other than "it was too insensitive"?

If the device failed to detect life on Earth in some cases, why would he trust it if it gave a positive result in one case, and then a negative result in other cases?

Sounds like a faulty device in my opinion.

The only way to really resolve this is to send more reliable and sensitive devices and do further testing.

Good find though. Flagging it so others will see and hopefully chime in with further information that is relevant.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Also relevant is the official website of Spherix Inc.

Spherix.com

Spherix Incorporated is developing innovative biopharmaceutical products and providing technical and regulatory consulting services to food, consumer products and pharmaceutical companies. Through its two subsidiaries, Biospherics and Spherix Consulting, Spherix strives to better the human condition.

Biospherics :

We’re taking aim at chronic disease and we won’t give up until we conquer

Spherix Consulting :

Product safety is the foundation of consumer trust

Hmmm....Very interesting.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thank you for your reply. The conspiracy theorist in me says NASA won't admit to anything until TPTB tell them to and it's telling that they did not include any life detecting equipment on subsequent trips. They apparently prefer not to know.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Also relevant is the official website of Spherix Inc.

Spherix.com

Spherix Incorporated is developing innovative biopharmaceutical products and providing technical and regulatory consulting services to food, consumer products and pharmaceutical companies. Through its two subsidiaries, Biospherics and Spherix Consulting, Spherix strives to better the human condition.

Biospherics :

We’re taking aim at chronic disease and we won’t give up until we conquer

Spherix Consulting :

Product safety is the foundation of consumer trust

Hmmm....Very interesting.

Please elaborate on the connection.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

The samples were moistened with a radioactive carbon and incubated for up to ten days to allow for any microorganisms to consume the nutrient and give off radioactive gases, which could then be measured

I'm no expert but that seems like a pretty conclusive test method. Anyone any ideas on what might cause a false positive?

The test method itself implies that they actually found LIVING microbes - not just fossilized remains. Pretty amazing stuff and an awesome find!

The only thing i find a little concerning is the guys assertion that NASA are refusing to re-look at the data for fear of getting egg on their faces? - Really? Surely somebody would take this on if there was any chance of the findings being proved accurate.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Has anyone considered the possibilty that NASA have secretly been SEEDING Mars over the years?

Let loose some microbes & fungi and see what develops...

If it was me calling the shots, it's what I would have been doing.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Look closely at Spherix Inc's logo. It's a red circle with a type of lightening bolt through it, one band below and two bands above.

The red circle can possibly indicate the Sun, or a star.
And of course the lightning bolt can indicate: 'travel, power, water, punishment, destruction, fertilization, etc'.

I'll have to look into what the one band below, two bands above may mean. That's kind of strange.

spheric etymology
sphere etymology

from L. sphæra "globe, ball, celestial sphere," from Gk. sphaira "globe, ball,"

-ic etymology

adjective suffix, "having to do with, having the nature of, being, made of, caused by, similar to"

Gk. -ikos "in the manner of; pertaining to."

For " -rix (etymology) " it is a little more difficult to determine. But it apparently usually indicates female or feminine aspects. It brings us to "-trix".

-trix fem. agential suffix, from Latin, corresponding to masc. -tor.

Examples :
Bellatrix = War + Female

bright star in the left shoulder of Orion, from L. bellatrix "a female warrior," frequently used as an adjective, "warlike, skilled in war," fem. of bellator "to wage war," from bellum "war." The Latin name, from the Alfonsine Tables (mid-13c.), very loosely translates the Arabic name for the star, Al Najid "the conqueror." In astrology it was the natal star of all destined to great civil or military honors, and rendered women born under its influence lucky and loquacious; or as old Thomas Hood said, "Women born under this constellation shall have mighty tongues." [Allen]

Dominatrix = Dominant + Female
Matrix =

late 14c., from O.Fr. matrice, from L. matrix (gen. matricis) "pregnant animal," in L.L. "womb," also "source, origin," from mater (gen. matris) "mother." Sense of "place or medium where something is developed" is first recorded 1550s; sense of "embedding or enclosing mass" first recorded 1640s. Logical sense of "array of possible combinations of truth-values" is attested from 1914.

Here is a full list for words with "-ix"
ix etym

edit on 27-12-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is right along the lines of Nikola Tesla finding free energy back in the 1890's. If it doesn't suit the agenda---it doesn't count!

I think we'd be amazed if not shocked if we were to ever find out what others are really holding back.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
Has anyone considered the possibilty that NASA have secretly been SEEDING Mars over the years?

Of course the conspiracy community says Mars has been seeding us...hence we are the Martians.

link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

I'm sure it's happened unintentionally with bacteria and the like but an actual seeding program would be massively irresponsible - doesn't mean it wouldn't happen though.

Can't help but think about the possibilities - changing the balance of gases in the atmosphere for example.

Could such a method be used (or at least be remotely plausible) to create an environment more suitable for humans? I'm sure i've read of rock eating bacteria that give off CO2 that could then be photosynthesised in O2.

A bigger task might be to re-establish the magnetic field to try and hang on to some of that created atmosphere.

link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1

Well, just the act of sending an Earth device to Mars could easily contaminate it with Earth bacteria, especially since we have evidence of bacteria surviving the harshness of space.
BBC link
Google around for more information about that.

Also, as I mentioned above, the lightning bolt can in some cases represent fertilization.

And this guy talking about microbes on Mars is with a company using that in it's logo.

I am not saying it is or isn't. I am just pointing out the obvious.

Thunderbolt - Lightning Bolt symbolism
Thunder Gods

Remember, these deity figures often impregnate many mortals and produce 'heroic' offspring. Also, they are often the progenitor of many other deities.

Also, the thunder storm brings rain, which rain is one of the bringers of life above the oceans.
Therefore fertilization is a key symbolic meaning for the thunder bolt.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

You should make a thread on that. I never even thought of it. That is a very interesting theory.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
This is right along the lines of Nikola Tesla finding free energy back in the 1890's. If it doesn't suit the agenda---it doesn't count!

I think we'd be amazed if not shocked if we were to ever find out what others are really holding back.

There is a 1995 video by Michael Eisner former CEO of Disney in which the narrator says scientists are finding microbial life in space all the time. The video was shown on TV back then in just a few cities at odd times with no promotion. I think TPTB were testing the waters at the time for our reaction to extraterrestrial life.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Disclaimer This is a rapid reply and possibly kneejerk and so expect me to edit this to confirm or deny what I am about to post.

Explanation: It is my understanding that there were SEVERAL experiment tests performed [3 I think
] and this blokes experiment was VERY accurate and the other 2 experiments [which this bloke now claims..] were faulty/dodgy.

Personal Disclosure: I will get back asap and edit this post [by adding below] with the real deal as soon as I have done the research!

UPDATED...

Edited to add ...

Long-time Mars Researcher Hopeful That Curiosity Rover Will Confirm Claim of Life on Red Planet (By Genalyn Corocoto | December 2, 2011 10:31 AM EST) [au.ibtimes.com]

NASA's 1976 Viking Mission experimenter Gilbert V. Levin who had written in 1997 that his Labeled Release (LR) experiment detected living microorganisms on Mars, recently said that instruments aboard Curiosity can confirm his published claim.

Contrary to the statement of NASA that its new mission to Mars carries no life detector, Dr. Levin said that the organic analyzers and the high resolution camera on Curiosity are his "stealth life detectors."

Together with Dr. Patricia Ann Straat as his co-experimenter, Dr. Levin conducted the LR experiment that produced evidence of life on Mars. However, NASA discounted the LR results because another Viking instrument failed to find organic matter, the stuff of life.

To further prove his claim, Levin has written Dr. Mike Malin, designer of Curiosity's camera, requesting for high-resolution pictures of "lichen-like" colored patches as these might be living organisms.

Please refer to article linked above for full story.

Gilbert Levin [wiki]

P.S.

edit on 27-12-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add the edit I promised.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

And this guy talking about microbes on Mars is with a company using that in it's logo
reply to post by muzzleflash

Oh....so the Mars life finding scientist is now affilliated with that company. I missed that. Interesting, I agree. Maybe TPTB gave him some inside info that he could make money with to keep him quiet.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Thanks MSP
Going to check out your other thread and video right now.
I've always had a feeling Walter wasn't as squeaky clean as people thought he was. It's been said that NASA asked Disney for help in filming some Moon-scenes 'just in case' the astronauts or the film didn't make it back.

But that's for another topic, another time.
Thanks again.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sputnik

I'm sure it's happened unintentionally with bacteria and the like but an actual seeding program would be massively irresponsible - doesn't mean it wouldn't happen though.

After all we did find that meteorite from Mars with the "alleged" fossilized bacteria in it....so who's to say meteorites from Earth don't find their way to Mars.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Thanks MSP
Going to check out your other thread and video right now.
I've always had a feeling Walter wasn't as squeaky clean as people thought he was. It's been said that NASA asked Disney for help in filming some Moon-scenes 'just in case' the astronauts or the film didn't make it back.

But that's for another topic, another time.
Thanks again.

It's a long video but I promise you will love it.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Oh and Spherix's logo again =

Red sphere = Mars
Thunder bolt = Fertilization

Get it?

I listed a link to Bellatrix also. War = Bella
Mars = War Deity

I could connect this in all kinds of ways.
Go reread my posts above. They are trying to tell us something perhaps?
But who is listening or paying any attention?
It's right in our face!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join