It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think your responsible enough to own a gun?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

Any gun-owning parent knows you lock guns up in a safe. Period. They should never, ever be left out and loaded. Common sense. Just like you lock your cabinets under your sink, just like you keep poisons out of reach of kids, etc, etc...So unfortunate and sad. Yes, to answer your thread question; I am responsible enough to own a gun, of which I do, several in fact.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Even keep them locked up/unloaded if you have pets, as they can accidentally set them off as well(similar as shared in the one article about the hunting dog shooting his owner)!
edit on 27-12-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So, you think you are responsible enough to own water?

Recent studies confirm that children in homes with running water or bathtubs have a substantial Risk associated with Induced Water Inhalation Syndrome (I.W.I.S.) iwis for short.

Should we have Tests for parents to see if they are responsible enough to own water?

Think of all of the lives of children that we can save by Preventing those that the STATE does not want to own water, to own water!!!!

We must end this hideous abuse of water NOW, and push for more responsible Water Ownership Regulations...

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
To all the experts on this thread who are insulted by a quick review of basic firearm safety rules, here is an expert at work:

Once you think you are a master and can't be reminded of the basics......BOOOM! Always be humble in the presence of a life-taker, IMHO.

If you're in so much danger that you MUST have weapons not under lock or in a safe while kids are around, try a quick release (finger-pad code) gun lock or mini safe. What are the odds that can go wrong?

Some kids can climb and find hidden things unbelievably; they are very unpredictable, especially those on ADD drugs or antidepressants.

I know cops who have discharged their weapons accidentally, and two families who had kid involved shootings, one with a fatality.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

( to the mod I was in the process of editing the damn thing as I had just barely posted it...)

If you're in so much danger that you MUST have weapons not under lock or in a safe while kids are around, try a quick release (finger-pad code) gun lock or mini safe. What are the odds that can go wrong?

Thousands if not millions of us grew up in households with no safes or even locked cabinets with guns all over the place my god how did we ever survive... Sigh! You never know when you will need it in a split second. Excuse me Mr intruder let me go get my gun out of my biometric safe unlock the trigger lock cycle a round in the chamber provided I have the magazine in so I can blow your brains out for threatening me or my family... The sad part is you people seriously believe this crap abut gun safety...

Most cops are notoriously ignorant about guns and safety the idiot in the video is typical. Any one who has any proficiency with hand guns knows certain model glocks had this flaw yet this supposed trained professional had no clue...Sigh.

There are far more likely and dangerous things to worry about harming your children then getting all hysterical over guns. The media has done its job well as people come here and repeat media rhetoric any time some idiot offs himself or a family member with a gun.

edit on 27-12-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
IMHO, the problem has nothing to do with the gun itself! This is just poor/irresponsible parenting. If I had to guess more children left unattended severely burn themselves on hot stoves, get ran over by cars playing in the street and drown in swimming pools than are injured/killed by firearms.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
You're absolutely correct on all accounts.

Safety with firearms is PARAMOUNT.

Do NOT be the cause of another story like what the OP referenced.

If you don't feel comfortable locking up the weapon put it on a high shelf that a child cannot reach even with a chair as a step stool. If you can't do that put a deadbolt lock on your bedroom door so that children cannot enter unattended. Also, NEVER LEAVE CHILDREN UNATTENDED.

All of these stories become stories because of a lapse of judgement. As parents who are armed you have the responsibility AT ALL TIMES to ensure the safety of your children. This includes protecting them from the potential of an accident with YOUR GUN. An accident that is COMPLETELY avoidable.

How many times does it have to happen folks?
edit on 27-12-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

"Sigh! You never know when you will need it in a split second. Excuse me Mr intruder let me go get my gun out of my biometric safe unlock the trigger lock cycle a round in the chamber provided I have the magazine in so I can blow your brains out for threatening me or my family."

People like you are the problem. Your gun should be in a safe, and not in your house either. Is it even a crime to get your gun stolen? In canada we see gun after gun turn up on the streets that was stolen from another trigger happy american who couldn't hold on to their dealy weapons. I think when your gun gets stolen you should be responsible for all the crimes commited with it. Finally no one is coming to hurt you or your family. Thats simply your backwards racist fears. You and your family are perfectly safe in a house with no guns. An armed intruder is not coming to get you, and when you hear a noise at night thats your family member so do not shoot. Break ins happen in the daytime, not at night. Home invasions happen to drug dealers. You are simply not in any danger.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burrito

Hmmm Troll much?
edit on 27/12/11 by Arkansas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by burrito

Oh, dear... where do I start?

Your gun should be in a safe, and not in your house either.

So it's OK to own a gun in your opinion only if you do not have access to it? Isn't that like owning a car but parking it on the other side of town? Sounds to me like a good way to make both items useless.

Is it even a crime to get your gun stolen?

Is it a crime in Canada to have your car stolen? Your TV? Is it a crime to be shot? Do you prosecute women for being raped?

Down here we have a different take: we prosecute the criminals instead of the victims. Backwards thinking, I know, but it works for us.

In canada we see gun after gun turn up on the streets that was stolen from another trigger happy american who couldn't hold on to their dealy weapons.

But wait... I thought handguns were illegal in Canada? At least the importation of handguns... amazing how that doesn't keep them off the streets...

I think when your gun gets stolen you should be responsible for all the crimes commited with it.

I dunno, I think the person who pulls the trigger is the real criminal. We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Finally no one is coming to hurt you or your family. Thats simply your backwards racist fears. You and your family are perfectly safe in a house with no guns.

Actually, that's my realization of reality. I base that realization on the number of actual break-ins that are reported in the local paper. They run a sheriff's report every day.

An armed intruder is not coming to get you, and when you hear a noise at night thats your family member so do not shoot.

Around these backward, racist, old-fashioned parts, we have a slightly different take: don't go messing around someone's house at night without letting them know you are there. Knock on the front door if you want in, and stay in the light whenever available. It seems to work.

Break ins happen in the daytime, not at night. Home invasions happen to drug dealers.

Wow! So you managed to get your criminals to work 9-to-5? Amazing... we haven't mastered that yet.

I did a little quick checking at the FBI website. It seems that in 2010, Detroit, Michigan, just to use an example that is close to Canada, had a population of 713,777. Their crime statistics were
  • 8133 violent crimes
  • 151 murders
  • 200 forcible rapes
  • 2541 robberies
  • 5241 aggravated assaults
  • 22090 property crimes
  • 7940 burglaries
  • 8388 thefts
  • 5642 vehicle thefts
That's a lot of crime for a city that has strict gun controls. Do some research and you will find that crime increases with stricter gun controls and decreases with more lax gun controls. This experiment has been repeated multiple times throughout the last hundred years or so, and every time the results are the same.

I think in light of this, I'll keep my guns ready, loaded, and handy, thank you very much. I'll go with hard facts, statistics, and proven scientific results. You feel free to go with propaganda and sensationalism. I hope it works well for you.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
where im from they do a full background check,you need a doctors note, and must pass a licensing test before you are able to legally purchase/own a gun

i passed the background check and licensing test but my doctor wrote on his paper im not mentally capable to handle a firearm...... DENIED!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkwingDuck82
where im from they do a full background check,you need a doctors note, and must pass a licensing test before you are able to legally purchase/own a gun

i passed the background check and licensing test but my doctor wrote on his paper im not mentally capable to handle a firearm...... DENIED!!!

Wow! Where are you from? This isn't in the US is it? So was this the family doctor is he a psychiatrist? Try a different Dr.? Move?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

50th state. He was a doctor i saw a few times i got sick. I could of went to a different doctor but the process of going through all that took so damn long i was over it

top topics

<< 1   >>

join