It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart and Sears Stores

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I can walk into my local Myer adn buy a DVD playe for $160.
I can get the same dvd player online for $80.

I can walk into my sunglasses hut and buy a pair of raybans for $220.
I can get the same pain online for $120.

I can walk into my Harvey Norman and buy a 24" LCD for $280.
I can get the same LCD online for $190.

As the cost of living goes up, and the government increases its charges people are going to be looking for more bang for there buck.

When the CEO's of Harveys, Myers and so froth come forward with 1.X Billion dollar profits people sometimes wonder why that actaully spend more when these guys just pocket the cash.

Shops and chain stores had a monopoly for a long time, they now need to adapt to the new age of purchasing.

Shops like myers in the cbd, harvey norman etc etc are going to go under if they dont shut shop and put everything online for a discounted price (being you arent paying rent, bills, wages, super, insurance etc)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Sears use to be an all around "American" store. Sad to see it selling crap and now closing stores. Whats happend to EmeriKa?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Maybe this is the start of the post-industrial-society that we've been hearing about? Or maybe it's just a bad economy?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
It is a mix of things. Greed, stores want top buy something from china for 10 bucks and sell it for 150.
They want money for nothing. Its the only way they compete with wallmart.

The dollar is worth less and less, and to keep the illusion, you can still buy things for what you have in the past but the quality is horrible Nothing lasts anymore. I have been through a vacuum cleaner a year, for the last 5 years.
My steam cleaners last less than that. I fianlly got rid of carpet. Was cheaper than buying cleaners.

Been married 14 years and on my 5th washing machine. Clothes go crappy real fast. Bedding is bad everywhere, you rally do have to search for quality.

I can not shop in wallmart anyways, the lighting gives me seizures. The prices there are NOT that low . In fact Target has better prices on electronics most times. People think its cheaper there because it used to be. They drive out the competition then drive up the prices.

Unless all you have is wallmart, no one needs to shop there. It really is not that cheap , unless you want cheap quality crap that wont last and you have to buy it three times.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
No surprise with Sears, I noticed more than once, coming home from work, I was one of only four customers in a huge department store.

Sears and K-Mar are run-down and depressing compared to a Walmart or a Target. Target and Walmart are newly remodeled, have good groceries, up to date inventory, and feel welcoming. There's always a crowd at Target and Walmart.

Of course smaller stores and some grocery chains buy locally. Big stores with big central purchasing departments are not measured on where they buy from and just go for cheap prices and nice packaging. Less and less product in the packages, but nice glossy packaging.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
But will Wal Mart finally close down I see that China is also having it's own problems due to their "growth" being a bubble

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27-12-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
It is a mix of things. Greed, stores want top buy something from china for 10 bucks and sell it for 150.
They want money for nothing. Its the only way they compete with wallmart.

The dollar is worth less and less, and to keep the illusion, you can still buy things for what you have in the past but the quality is horrible Nothing lasts anymore. I have been through a vacuum cleaner a year, for the last 5 years.
My steam cleaners last less than that. I fianlly got rid of carpet. Was cheaper than buying cleaners.

Been married 14 years and on my 5th washing machine. Clothes go crappy real fast. Bedding is bad everywhere, you rally do have to search for quality.

I can not shop in wallmart anyways, the lighting gives me seizures. The prices there are NOT that low . In fact Target has better prices on electronics most times. People think its cheaper there because it used to be. They drive out the competition then drive up the prices.

Unless all you have is wallmart, no one needs to shop there. It really is not that cheap , unless you want cheap quality crap that wont last and you have to buy it three times.

I totally agree with all you said!

I HATE WAL-MART Working there was HELL!!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
For all the numbers being supposedly high for sales this Christmas, there comes the announcement early today that Sears will be closing many Kmart and Sears stores due to low sales numbers over the year of 2011. Seems some ATS'ers predictions are coming to pass. 4,000 more jobs will be lost, yet we are in recovery?? PSHAW!!!
Yes it really looks like we're in a recovery.

Sears announces 100-120 Kmart and Sears stores will be closing their doors

From the source:

(AP) NEW YORK - Sears Holdings Corp. plans to close between 100 and 120 Sears and Kmart stores to raise cash after a weak holiday shopping season for the retailer.

The closings fueled speculation about whether the 125-year-old retailer can turn itself around.

The closings are the latest and most visible in a long series of moves to try to fix a company that has struggled with falling sales and shabby stores as rivals like Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Target Corp. spruced up their looks and turned into one-stop shopping sources.

What a great example of propaganda and what some facts can do for you.

So should we be worried now?
I wonder if TPTB will finally admit that we should panic???

No.

I searched and didn't find anything so if it's been posted, I apologize.
~Serenity

Guess what. I searched and found from the ADP that we gained 206,000 jobs last month. But 4000 kmarts are closing? 4000 stores are firing minimum wage cashiers.

I dunno.

You tell me.

does 206,000 - 4000 = panic?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Algernonsmouse

Sure, but they don't tell you those jobs are military defense and government.
It wasn't supposed to be propeganda, I beleive we are headed down the toilet and fast, JMO.
If you disagree, so be it.

That's your perogative.
edit on 28-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: contraction punctuation

edit on 28-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: contraction again

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I can see it, although Kmarts personnel are more pleasant and helpful than walmart, sears and Kmart are being driven out of business by the government because they don't get the chosen responsibility of surveillance that walmart won the bid for, once they are out of business then everyone will pretty much be forced to use walmart, or thats what they would have you believe

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join