It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open source society(TED talk)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
What would it take to jump start a modern civilization?
why merely 50 "d.i.y." machines !
interesting ted lecture:

Using wikis and digital fabrication tools, TED Fellow Marcin Jakubowski is open-sourcing the blueprints for 50 farm machines, allowing anyone to build their own tractor or harvester from scratch. And that's only the first step in a project to write an instruction set for an entire self-sustaining village (starting cost: $10,000).

( restart video after "stupid" 30second toyota ad..)
www.ted.com...
edit on 27-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Tue Dec 27 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
What would it take to jump start a modern civilization?
why merely 50 "d.i.y." machines !
interesting ted lecture:

Using wikis and digital fabrication tools, TED Fellow Marcin Jakubowski is open-sourcing the blueprints for 50 farm machines, allowing anyone to build their own tractor or harvester from scratch. And that's only the first step in a project to write an instruction set for an entire self-sustaining village (starting cost: $10,000).

I'm surprised this thread has sat here with no attention with the educated users it gets. This is amazing innovative answers, and a proven successful design (open source) applied to life building 'hardware'. Simplistic and brilliant!!

We have already seen the MSM show us how to do many of the necessary skills to live off the grid with everyday objects (I think it was season 1 of the Colony they make a wind turbine and steal solar panels and make a usable 12-110v inverted power module). Marcin's idea of making a simple open source recipe for the necessary machines and releasing them free as DIY is nothing short of doable and inspiring!

The tractor looks fully functioning too, I'm exited to see the remaining 42 ideas become reality.
S+F for a great find!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliquandro
I'm surprised this thread has sat here with no attention with the educated users it gets. This is amazing innovative answers, and a proven successful design (open source) applied to life building 'hardware'. Simplistic and brilliant!!

Because people do not want solutions. They want drama, entertainment, and flame wars.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The open source farming equipment guy is way cool... I wish i had more to add to this thread but all I can say is stuff like this is the way of the future.

top topics

join