It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somethings up with venus

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by phantomjack

Originally posted by AzureSky
I've noticed venus is very bright in the early evenings before it sets here.
Much brighter than usual,
Brighter than saturn.
But it wasn't like that last year. Possibly something in the atmosphere?

I don't think there has ever been a time when Venus was NOT brighter than Saturn.

But yes, I noticed it last night with naked eye...seemed that the right side of Venus was "bulging".

Uhm...RLY? Or is this only a self-fulfilling wishful "prophecy"?
Because two posts above we pretty much came to the conclusion it's a lens flare

Well, I guess I was seeing things then...though, is Stereo A & B optical or digital?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
hm.. lets say it is not processing artefacts or lenses artefacts. Let us not rush into labelling everything strange as being some technology glitch, already happened at least 4 times in December . Anyone remembers this?

And yeah, in response to that:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adaven
I observed Venus last night. Was a great site next to the crescent moon. I did not see anything out of the ordinary visually.

I would say how they looked last night was not usual
even called the family to have a look see
tiz peculiar

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by Phage
Looking at the raw image, there doesn't seem to be anything going on. Yes, that's the full sized image. We need the high quality science data to get more detail.

I expect it's a processing artifact.

It's a lens flare. The processing they do dramatically enhances the appearance of faint low contrast features including lens flares off of bright planets like Venus. I did a (very rough) processing of the beacon images from the 18th and the 27th, making a pseudo-dark using data from 4 days prior to bring out the flare:
Image from today:
www.4shared.com...
Image from the 18th:
www.4shared.com...
The high quality data from the 18th is clearly your classic Venus lens flare:
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
It's not as easy to tell with the jpg versions of the beacon images, but when you process the raw fits of the beacons using pseudo-dark subtraction you can see it's the same type of lens flare as on the 18th, it's just the process is repeating itself in reverse as Venus leaves the field of view. If I have some time tonight I'll redo the processing more carefully by making a better pseudo-dark and use curves adjustment to the histogram without clipping it instead of clipping the heck out of it with a quick levels adjustment.
edit on 27-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

Here's a cleaner processing of the beacon data.
The beacon image from the 18th as Venus came into the field of view:
i319.photobucket.com...
And now, from today:
i319.photobucket.com...
I hope these images make it even more obvious that it's just a lens flare, same as what we saw as Venus entered the field of view, same as what happens every time it enters or leaves the field of view.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bcs8484
Well I found something strange this moring with venus. What looks like a solar flare is clearly seen exting its atmosphere. I dont have a idea of what would be causing this or what it could be. Im also prettysure its not a regular thing for a planet to have what seems to be a solar flare type event in which a larger portion of the planets atmosphere is ejected into space. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable then myself can shed some light on what we are seeing or if its really a unkown event. good day to you all!!

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

hey bcs.. niiiice find! that is craaayzaaay .. looks like a comet hit it!... wonder if previous pics show one incoming...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This is a much better thread than the "Somethings up with Uranus" thread I saw several weeks ago.

I sure hope we get to the bottom of this.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
weird

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Got intrested and looked around for something that might explain the oddity. Is it possible that it is just a solar wind hit Venus and some atmospere leaked into space. A hypothesis that the scientific comunity belives happend to Mars. Due to a lack of a magnetic field surounding the planet the atmosphere could be "pushed" into space.

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

The latest beacon mode image shows the familiar lens flare taking shape.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
I made a gif out of the images.

Ok, you guys that are saying this is lens flare, could you please explain to me how a lens flare would develop as indicated in the gif that jessejamesxx so kindly assembled? I really have no idea and it doesn't make sense to me that a lens flare could cause the resulting images? Specifically of interest to me is how it develops the way it does, with very clear point of origination near the planet and then expanding outwards?

It does seem like if it was some sort of impact, ejection, etc... that it sure took a long time to make it's way away from the planet? But I suppose we are looking at a pretty massive scale in the photos...

Thanks in advance for any explanation!

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by UdonNiedtuno

The same thing happened to Mercury months ago. Phage and Stereologist then quashed that thread by saying it was a lens flare, when you could clearly see the plasma flare long before the planet got close to the edge of the lens and made the obvious lens flare.

Phage and Stereologist are here to tow the NASA line and dis anything new found.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

reply to post by ngchunter

The latest beacon mode image shows the familiar lens flare taking shape.

Hehehe, just wait till I finish this video I'm compiling right now. I'm processing every beacon image from the raw data starting on the 14th and going through to today. It shows the flare as it came into the frame and you can plainly tell it's the same thing forming in reverse as it leaves the frame. It's much, much clearer than the STEREO's sites beacon images since I processed it by handing using a median combined pseudo-dark made from every frame in the same time frame combined.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

You can see the same effect (but flipped) when Venus entered the field of view. There it began widely spread then "condensed". Now, as Venus approaches the edge of the frame, it starts "condensed" and will now expand.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This will be clear when the high quality images become available. It is what always occurs when Venus enters and leaves the field of view.

edit on 12/27/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

No.
The previous "event" was not lens flare. It was an artifact of image processing.

link   
i thought this was going to be a thread like those "the moon is upside down" ones. glad to see i was mistaken

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

No.
The previous "event" was not lens flare. It was an artifact of image processing.

yeah sure

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bcs8484

Apparently its Comet lovejoy breaking up near venus,Good of you to notice it.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by anonentity

Lovejoy passed (far on the other side of) Venus some days ago.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

It is not a lense flare, an they know it, and most of everyone here knows it unless they've been embibing too much koolaid.

I got a better idea. Why not view one of those strange lights on the NASA space videos, and watch their movements, that don't resemble space junk, and then say, that is lense flare in every position and only creating the illusion of movement. I'm sure they have done that before too.

The comet lovejoy? Is this the new cover story?

Reality check, its a plasma discharge.

Well one can't even go near NASA and all their stories, if they are the ones saying its Lovejoy breaking up, because the last thing I recall was Elenin, and it supposedly broke or vanished on perihelion. Oh but we all got to see it in October on the day it was closest to earth and watch it on video, live.

edit on 27-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This does not look like the lens flare we saw with Mercury awhile back.

This appears to be something different all together. We need to wait for the better pictures to come out, but this appears to be something shot from Venus outward, like a volcanic eruption, or detritus from an impact of some sort.

Great find and very interesting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join