It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Members: Minor Update to the ATS Terms & Conditions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I just want to make everyone aware of a minor revision to the ATS Terms & Conditions.

Item 19 has been altered.

It used to say:

19) Advertising: You will not advertise or promote other discussion boards, chat systems, online communities or other websites on the Websites within posts, private messages, avatars and/or signatures without prior written permission from TAN. You will not choose a username that is the same as a website domain, subdomain, or URL for which you are associated. Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

It now says:

19) Advertising: You will not advertise or promote other discussion boards, chat systems, online communities or other websites on the Websites within posts, private messages, avatars and/or signatures without prior written permission from TAN. You will not choose a username that is the same as a website domain, subdomain, URL, organization, or business for which you are associated. Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Most of you likely have not noticed the need for this change, because our staff has been swift-acting. However, we've had a rise in those from groups, clubs, business, or other organizations attempt to use ATS as a means to improperly promote (sometimes spam) their efforts without prior approval. And sometimes the links they use are somewhat dubious or otherwise concerning.

Please, if you have a group with which you are associated that has compatible concerns as those of ATS and its members, contact us first. We almost always work out a way where you are allowed some degree of an ability to promote what you're doing... which often is expanded the longer you contribute to the ATS community.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Most of you likely have not noticed the need for this change, because our staff has been swift-acting. However, we've had a rise in those from groups, clubs, business, or other organizations attempt to use ATS as a means to improperly promote (sometimes spam) their efforts without prior approval. And sometimes the links they use are somewhat dubious or otherwise concerning.
SO, meet ProgressiveFreemasonryUSA. ProgressiveFreemasonryUSA? SkepticOverlord.
edit on 2011.12.27 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you Skeptic for making me more aware of the boundaries.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Got a question?

Since I'm with an Occupy chapter can I still post my association as long as I'm not recruiting and advertising?

Just want to keep everything on the up and up!
edit on 27-12-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It's a shame, that. I would rather see where my fellow members interests lie than to see nothing but US gov't ads all over every bloody page of this site. Kind of hypocritical of the site to advocate conspiracy and be in the government's pocket. Nice choice. I'd almost rather see alcohol and cigarette ads than ads to get a gov't loan to buy a home or that 911 memorial organization or whatever else keeps taking up space. It's a little more than weird too, all things considered.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What the corrupt politicians ! changing and editing the ATS consitution!!!

just kidding :p

yea sounds good , will keep it in mind.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
but is it okay that I use the same username on a lot of other games/ websites? Because now Im concerned, I think the rule was pretty cut and dry, but Just to make sure im not infringing.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Kind of hypocritical of the site to advocate conspiracy and be in the government's pocket.

We are in no one's pocket.

If you see older member accounts that appear to violate this change, we're allowing some degree of "grandfathering" as long as there are no issues.

We're not engaging in a "witch hunt" by going back and doing a search and destroy on anything that violates this condition -- only taking action on new accounts when needed.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Nerd Goddess

Your name is fine as long as your company, business or non profit etc... isn't named Nerd Goddess. Having the same username across multiple venues isn't an issue.
edit on 27-12-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Thanks, if I ever come into ownership of a business I will make sure to give it a different name

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Agreed, everyone should keep their business and social life separate from the world of ATS!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
SO, meet ProgressiveFreemasonryUSA. ProgressiveFreemasonryUSA? SkepticOverlord.
edit on 2011.12.27 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

Interesting.

www.facebook.com...

Progressive Freemasonry USA
Non-Profit Organization

You will not choose a username that is the same as a website domain, subdomain, URL, organization, or business for which you are associated.

Well, I guess we'll see what happens.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm assuming that "advertise or promote" are the operative words here.

Simply quoting from someone's blog or suggesting that readers might want to navigate there to read the entire entry would not be an infringment of the T&C.

Seems obvious but given the swift and dire penalty involved . . .

edit on 27-12-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I guess that I'll continue to assume that if someone U2Us me about my thoughts and wants to know more about them - asking for links and such - that it's okay if I give them a book link via private messaging. It's not unrequested information, after all, and it's not exchanged within the public forum areas.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well the new "update" is fine with me, after all I have seen through the years how many "groups" and "entities" (no forgetting personal also) that try to use ATS to advertise and spam.

If it wasn't for the TC this board will be a spam haven due to its popularity.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
So...lets say someone from NASA makes an account here and calls himself NASAGuy or something..that is a no go, right?
Just trying to get some examples.
Pity that really, the person, NASAGuy, would be helpful in identifying who he is from name in order to get perspective..sure, its a organization, but its not like the name is JoinNASACall555-5555

So, where is the line? Spam is spam and is easy to track of course. SlimfastNow is clearly advertising a product..

Hmm

Actually, I don't care about this new rule...didn't even know it was a problem...however..an organization is also political..so, Republican4Life would be all about the bannation also, no?

Feel free to answer all, some, or none of this..purely curiousity.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

edit on 27-12-2011 by jplaysguitar because: my question was not well thought out edited yo

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Of course, that's fine. And in fact, a link to your site/blog in your sig is but a request from ownership away, given your status and tenure.

I can assure you the ownership is committed to assisting members and encouraging their efforts whenever possible. But there's a right way to do it. We're not inclined to acquiesce to the drive-by one hit spam marketers.

Now speaking to you specifically and not as staff but as a regular member, I think you're exactly the type of member we'd encourage.

PM Springer. He'll okay a sig link, I'm highly confident.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm personally hoping this change was in large part made to negate the influence some organizations are attempting to spread via massive trolling of named individuals (eg; ron paul) etc.

I'm not "pro" anyone, but you don't have to be to see the desperate attempts some people are putting forth to try and make their rivals appear negative, such as this insane trollage of RP and supposed racism, which I've found to have flooded my favorite internet hangouts.

Of course, this goes both ways, so I'll still be happy to have less spam FOR candidates as well.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thanks for pointing all of this out. I usually sign up to sites with my future business name. Been a member here for ages now and some how I signed up as I did.

Whatever little voice told me to, I'm glad. I would have hated to see my page deactivated :/

____And to the poster above, there will always be posts pro candidate/anti candidate. It's just that time of the year

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join