It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Seeks Death for American Accused of Spying

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Iran Seeks Death for American Accused of Spying

www.foxnews.com

An American man accused by Iran of working for the CIA could face the death penalty, the semiofficial Fars news agency reported Tuesday.

In a closed court hearing, the prosecution applied for capital punishment, the report said, because the suspect, identified as Amir Mirzaei Hekmati, "admitted that he received training in the United States and planned to imply that Iran was involved in terrorist activities in foreign countries" after returning to the U.S.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
What will the reaction of the United States be to the execution of an American accused of spying? This could be one more excuse for the American military to become involved in Iran. If this American is innocent of the charges, will the American government sit on the sidelines and watch an innocent man be executed?....and if he is guilty of the charges...Will the American government accept the charges of being guilty of training him? In either case, this is yet one more excuse for America to become involved in the governments of the Middle East.

www.foxnews.com
edit on 27-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
From the Fars News Agency;

Iran Starts Trial of CIA Spy (english.farsnews.com)
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran on Tuesday started trial of a young spy of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) who was tasked with infiltrating the Iranian intelligence apparatus.

During the trial, the suspect named Amir Mirzayee Hekmati first introduced himself and then confessed to his motivation behind its efforts to infiltrate the Islamic Republic of Iran's intelligence system as a CIA agent.

"In this mission I was fooled by the CIA and although I had entered Iran with a mission to infiltrate in the Islamic Republic of Iran's intelligence systems and to turn into a new source for the CIA, I didn't want to hit a blow to Iran," Mirzayee Hekmati said.

In his confession that was broadcasted by Iranian TV at the time, Mirzayee Hekmati explained his secret mission in Iran.

I don't think there's any question about this guy being a spy, and he is confessing to it.

The Fox article is mostly spin trying to cast Hekmati in the most sympathetic way possible.
edit on 27-12-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

My hunch on this is that this guy is just a sacrificial scapegoat, the plan was for him to get caught from the beginning, and his suitcase was therefore planted full of inciminating evidence where he was supposed to look like he "was planning to imply that Iran was involved in terrorist activities in foregin countries". This guy probably didn´t even know this was the plan at all himself.

The U.S Govt would have nothing to loose, if he got caught, they probably knew he would be executed thus helping them sway the people into the mindset "Iran is Evil", if he didn´t get cought he would have been back home with some story to tell. But the plan most probably was for him to get caught all along.

And the reason is obvious: More ammo to use in their attempts to get the peoples backing in a attack of Iran.
edit on 27-12-2011 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Good find.....it does show the spin that Fox news has taken on this story. Yet again, information being used to misinform the public about current events. From the article you linked to the story, it does appear he is admitting guilt to the charges, and Fox news doesn't tell the whole story.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Fox News is relaying an Associated Press news article here

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_IRAN_AMERICAN_DETAINED?SITE=AP

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

What will the reaction of the United States be to the execution of an American accused of spying? This could be one more excuse for the American military to become involved in Iran. If this American is innocent of the charges, will the American government sit on the sidelines and watch an innocent man be executed?....and if he is guilty of the charges...Will the American government accept the charges of being guilty of training him? In either case, this is yet one more excuse for America to become involved in the governments of the Middle East.

www.foxnews.com
edit on 27-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

Well you have ever watched a movie with CIA spies,
when they get caught all knowledge of them and there duties
does not exist...

So no even if he really was a spy, no one is going to claim so...
edit on 27-12-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
More than likely his confession was coerced but given his alleged background one would think that someone of his ilk would not reveal anything with the prospect of death looming on the horizon. It's a dangerous game these people play and there will be consequences....oh well I have a pie in the oven.

brill

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This could also be a setup by Iran as well to make the US appear to loose more credit.

Hell, If I knew my country was about to get blown away like an iranian sand storm.. I would probably make up a bunch of stuff in hopes that the rest of the world would try to stop it, too.

Did we claim he was working for us? Or is this just some fella accused and claiming that he works for us? Could be our informant, or it could be a plant to make us look bad.

dunno..

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Probably have Obama on TV again.

" Can we have our Spy back please?'

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Here's more of his confession from Iranian TV (sorry it's not in English)

They (U.S. agents) told me, 'If you are successful at this mission we can train you further, we can give you other missions ... This mission requires that you travel to Iran,'" he said, appearing calm.

In a video with a voice-over in the channel's main news bulletin, pictures of Hekmati were shown in what seemed to be U.S. military bases.

"I was in a spying center in Bagram (a major U.S. base in Afghanistan) ... I went to Dubai and then ... I flew to Tehran," Hekmati said, without mentioning the date.

"They told me, 'You will become a source of military and intelligence information for the Iranians for three weeks and we will give you money for this and then you will return.'"

Not to single out Fox for this type of spin, every US media outlet will do this too - spin the story to make this guy appear as innocent as possible, minimize any confession he made, and lay on the islamaphobia thick and heavy. Look at it from a cynic's point of view - an Iranian-American 10-year Marine vet, served in Iraq and Afghanistan, received special training - sounds like a candidate for the CIA to me.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
If anyone saw Syriana, the U.S. Gov. will eliminate it's loose ends. I'm going to assume that they will deny him being a spy. He might be better off staying in Iran, than coming back to the U.S., where he might not ever be seen again.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

This could also be a setup by Iran as well to make the US appear to loose more credit.

Agreed ... and to goat the US into actually go a. and attack Iran ...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Iran Seeks Death

Changing the title a bit can say more than my words in this post.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Iran Seeks Death

Changing the title a bit can say more than my words in this post.

Actually the original .line is in the correct format
How others interpret it is another story.

brill

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

It should probably rank right up there with Iranians attempting to assassinate a foreign national on US soil in Washington DC via suicide bomber.

Since those charges were ignored / dismissed by everyone because it originated from the US Government, is there any reason to believe the Iranian government is not, ya know, making crap up... again?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
It should probably rank right up there with Iranians attempting to assassinate a foreign national on US soil in Washington DC via suicide bomber.

Since those charges were ignored / dismissed by everyone because it originated from the US Government, is there any reason to believe the Iranian government is not, ya know, making crap up... again?

Now how can you even think that!

US Government = lying liars.

Iranian Government = Pillars of Truth!!

The logic of ATS strikes again!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
US Government = lying liars.
Iranian Government = Pillars of Truth!!

The logic of ATS strikes again!

They're both scumbags when all is said and done.
2nd

brill

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
As long as they are still sovereign, they can execute foreigners that break into their country.

America isn't sovereign anymore, hence why illegal alienz can drive in America with no drivers license, no insurance, and don't have to worry about getting a ticket, getting arrested, or getting their car towed.

PLUS we have to give them free school for their kids, free healthcare, free welfare........

Good for Iran that they are still a sovereign country.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

He didn't break into their country. Iran is his country as well and he holds dual US - Iranian citizenship. Gee, I wonder if the fact the guy is a Marine is playing into this somehow on the Iranian side? Its no different than Iran holding a US citizen for five plus years while maintaining they know nothing about him (former FBI agent recently discovered alive).

While neither sides judicial system is perfect, at least in ours the outcome isn't always known as is theirs.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join