It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland crowdsources its next constitution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
~*Did a quick search, couldn't find it*~

How are you doing tonight guys,
I ran into this story on good old facebook, and it is one that i find very interesting. We all know what iceland did a few months back (kicked out the bankers and pretty much started with a clean slate). And now they are drafting a new constitution that is publicly available to vote on, its for people, by people.

It sounds too good to be true, but perhaps we should be following their example, here is the story and source, and i have a direct link to a translated version of their new constitution.

When your banks and government completely collapse, it might be time to reconsider your constitution, and ensure that this time it’s really “by the people, for the people.”

Iceland is trying to do just that, by crowdsourcing its new constitution to its citizens through social media.

“I believe this is the first time a constitution is being drafted basically on the Internet,” Thorvaldur Gylfason, a member of Iceland's constitutional council, told the Guardian.

Iceland's existing constitution was created in 1944, when the country gained independence from Denmark. The document had no input from its people — it simply took the Danish constitution and made a few minor changes, such as replacing “king” with “president.”

This time around, the constitutional council is posting draft clauses on its Web site, which the public can comment on or discuss on the council’s Facebook page. A live stream of the council’s meetings are on both pages as well. The project launched in April.

Source

And as promised, i direct link to their new constitution. It is in PDF format and Google chrome should auto open it in a new tab (if you use it that is) : Source

I have been reading through it now for about half an hour, and there is one particular part that stood out to me and im sure you guys will stumble upon it too, its in the first few pages, and its about the resources of iceland belonging to the people of iceland. Which is the way it SHOULD BE. For every country.

That would make all the 'third world' poverty stricken countries instantly able to support themselves, and sell their resources for the betterment of their society. Sadly this is not the case when we have specific people that go in just to rob resources from said countries. (see: Economic Hit Man )

This is a step in the right direction for iceland. What amazes me more is they are using the internet for what it should be used for! A voice in politics. Choices. Instead of the choices given to us by our governments (Paper or plastic?)

edit on 27/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
iceland is doing it right...

you should read about how they removed all their corrupt representatives from power and got new ones....THIS IS HOW AMERICA NEEDS TO DO IT

once they realized who was corrupt and who wasn't, they held local elections to see who would take the seats of representatives.

they petitioned locally so that ANYONE (as long as they were with 10,000 signatures of agreement) could be nominated to office. true democracy.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Iceland IS doing it right
this is what all countries need to do. Because it makes the most sense for some reason.

join