It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has ATS joined Big Brother?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I just opened up ATS to see what had been happening around the globe and what popped up as an ad?? Bok Tower.
You may wonder why I find that strange, but I bet most of you have no idea where or what Bok Tower is (other than a tower.) Its a local attraction, that I can see out my back door. I think Big Brother is way too intrusive already. I stopped using Google when things I looked for started to appear "magically" as ads on other sites, a calendar of a specific breed of dog, a sweater, etc. Now I open my fav conspiracy site, and there at the top of the page is an add for something local. So what's up with that? Can't we any privacy even on ATS!?

I don't want folks knowing my "general vicinity," shopping preferences, and a zillion other personal things. What can we do?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It's called data mining. You search out one thing, that personal information is stored and sold.

Don't like it? Stay off the net because it's not going away anytime soon my friend!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zachi

NO

ATS is kinda like a Pacifier for some of the more aware people.

It gives them warmth like they have a upper hand, or edge over the average Sheeple.

Big Bother is alive and well and not taking in new members, sorry ATS.

Like Carlin said " It,s a big club, and you aint in it"

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
if you dont want anyone knowing where you live then use stuff like TOR to give you a truely anonymous IP address so you may be in texas but according to your ip you are sitting next to paddington bear in deepest darkest peru, but for the anonimity you lose alot of the speed since every request is getting sent around the place before finally hitting its target

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Oh come on, for as long as you been on the internet, you can't tell me that you're not surprised.

It was bound to happen anyways.

I mean, it is a conspiracy site after all.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zachi

It's the system, my friend.

When I go to a store, and buy something specific, with my debit card, I will get to see ads about it on any site I will go to on the net, afterwards, for a few days, until it picks up again on my browsing habits, etc.

A few months ago, I bought a certain type of cereal, and when we got home and opened the tv, in the first segment of ads was one about that cereal...

It's the system that is implemented like that.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Nope, big brother has joined ATS.

They've got a lot of catching-up to do, so help 'em out when and where you can.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Actually you get these ads because thats the way google ensures that its advertisers get some clicks. They plant an "imortal" cookie in your computer that stores all your searches and interests and the most accesed data is then taken and turned into an ad because they interpret that you like that particular thing.

For example i search for a veterinarian for my dog and i search "vet dog new york" ... then google will display ads for dog food in my region, dog hotels, vets basically anything that has to do with dogs.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

I did a online poll for a unspecified political survey, the next time I came onto ats an ad for a survey popped up over my ats screen.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Yep... It's a targeted ad thingy. I was looking to buy a new Jeep not too long ago and doing some shopping online. The next thing I know is I'm seeing Jeep ads on ATS... it's just the world we live in these days....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Get Firefox and install AdBlock Plus and noscript then you be Advert free

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pillock

Don't say that too loud around here, they don't like that.
It's against T&C.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It really has nothing to do with ATS proper. The ads can target you a number of different ways, including your IP address. I often get "targeted" advertising for a place called Auburn, which is nearly 100 miles away. But my ISP has major trunk lines that come into that city before they branch out, so the ads think I'm "in" Auburn.

Your browsing history is tracked. I looked for generator a few months ago and it took a month or two for the generator ads to stop. I also was targeted by state so that I got a bunch of union/seiu ads wanting me to contact my state legislators about cuts in, you know, union jobs. Happily, with the state election over those things stopped. I also have noticed quite a few ads lately for "The Boeing Store," of all things. I have no idea why they are tracking me for that, but Boeing is pretty close, so maybe they think I'm in the market for a hat or a hoodie. beats me sometimes.

Most conspiracies aren't. You just found another one.

top topics

join