It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life just became more interesting, only three spatial dimensions left, plus time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
This is really a relief to me.
I never understood all these dimensions that came into life with the "string theory".

KEK, the reserch institute

The mechanism that explains why our universe was born with 3 dimensions: a 40-year-old puzzle of superstring theory solved by supercomputer December 22, 2011 High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK), Japan Shizuoka University, Japan Osaka University, Japan A group of three researchers from KEK, Shizuoka University and Osaka University has for the first time revealed the way our universe was born with 3 spatial dimensions from 10-dimensional superstring theory*1 in which spacetime has 9 spatial directions and 1 temporal direction. This result was obtained by numerical simulation on a supercomputer.

This is what its all about:

[The content of the research] In this study, the team established a method for calculating large matrices (in the IKKT matrix model*4), which represent the interactions of strings, and calculated how the 9-dimensional space changes with time. In the figure, the spatial extents in 9 directions are plotted against time. If one goes far enough back in time, space is indeed extended in 9 directions, but then at some point only 3 of those directions start to expand rapidly. This result demonstrates, for the first time, that the 3-dimensional space that we are living in indeed emerges from the 9-dimensional space that superstring theory predicts. This calculation was carried out on the supercomputer Hitachi SR16000 (theoretical performance: 90.3 TFLOPS) at the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics of Kyoto University.

edit on 27/12/11 by Pokoia because: i was asked to

edit on 27/12/11 by Pokoia because: language

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

I'm not skeptical about whether they ran a simulation with the claimed results.

However I'm skeptical about how accurately their simulation reflects reality, so I think this may show a possibility, but I doubt it really resolves anything.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is truly mind-boggling stuff especially since these sort of things encroach upon some of the biggest questions that we have ever asked. The mere idea that we are starting to figure out why anything should be at all is incredible to me. I don't claim any advanced knowledge on the subject but it would appear to me that we are incredibly close to discovering the origins of the universe in great detail. As it relates to us, we could be on the verge of finding god's mechanism (should such a being exist) of creation. Even if it isn't god it is equally as marvelous and compelling. The chance that spatial dimensions worked out the way they did and matter being more prevalent than anti-matter when they were annihilating each other causing a momentous burst of particles and energy with which we stepped out of billions of years later is truly stunning.

If anything, it is more beautiful and fine than the weak language used to describe our beginnings by any holy text around the world. Can we at least agree to that? Perhaps not, but to me the implications of this kind of research and all of it related to the big bang and the god particle has me on the edge of my seat. At any given moment there is a chance we can finally paint a clear picture of our universal beginnings.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by Pokoia

I'm not skeptical about whether they ran a simulation with the claimed results.

However I'm skeptical about how accurately their simulation reflects reality, so I think this may show a possibility, but I doubt it really resolves anything.

Please do not spoil my great joy about this.
I know the official publication still has to come.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Interesting article, thanks for the thread.

I have a problem with your title, however, In my reading of the source, I don't see the result of "only our 3 dimensions plus time" left. They have found a way to explain the expansion of the 3 spatial dimensions we are familiar with, but they haven't disappeared the remaining 6 into the history books as no longer existing. They remain, as the source defines them:

9 dimensions: While the space we are living in has 3 dimensions, it is known in superstring theory that the space has to have 9 dimensions for consistency with quantum mechanics. Therefore, 6 of the 9 dimensions must somehow be invisible. A popular approach is called "compactification", in which the extra 6 spatial dimensions curl up very small, but this presents a problem because there are so many ways to actually do it.

I'm no physicist to be sure. And I haven't quite finished my coffee yet. So if I've missed something here, my apologies. Otherwise, I will admit to being on the opposite side of the divide from you as to how I feel about these pesky, tiny, invisible dimensions. They are my favorites

edit on 12/27/2011 by Open2Truth because: clarity malfunction

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Yes but these six are forever rolled up in an infinite small space.
So there is no influence to be expected anymore.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

This is awesome and disappointing at the same time.

Its truly mind blowing how they calculated how 3 dimensions expanded to become our current 3D universe (what about time?). We can say this puts mankind closer to solving String Theory. Einstein would be proud and resentful.

What is very disappointing is the lack of video. Why don't the researchers share a video simulation of their prediction?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pokoia
Please do not spoil my great joy about this.
I know the official publication still has to come.
Perhaps you should seek joy in learning truth.

Then, no matter what scientific discoveries uncover, you will find joy in them, as I do.

The universe doesn't bow to our preferences or preconceived notions....it is what it is.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I do like the truth.
Most of what we are confronted with are the theories of groups of scientists.
I one theory gets more followers, that theory wins, at least at that moment.

The truth is always lingering in the future.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Yes but these six are forever rolled up in an infinite small space.
So there is no influence to be expected anymore.

Can you point me to where such a conclusion of "no influence to be expected anymore" can be found?

Maybe when it comes to dimensions, "size" really doesn't matter.

Edit to Add: Seems like you have agreed the title is at least misleading - care to revise for clarity's sake?
edit on 12/27/2011 by Open2Truth because: clarity malfunction

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I changed the title.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

It is impossible for there to be no influence.

If you take the Mandlebrot set, and you wish to change the tiniest portion, you will change the entire thing.

This is the nature of infinity. The dimensions we are used to affect the "invisible" ones relative to us, and the "invisible" ones affect us.

We may just not have any idea *how* yet... but your statement is the equivalent of saying that electrons are so tiny relative to us that they have no real effect, yet your entire being is controlled by the different configurations of electrons buzzing through your brain, holding your cells together, synchronizing your heart, etc. Or people who didn't believe "invisible" creatures could make you sick.

In fact the entire universe's mechanisms are impossible to consider without the behavior of electrons despite the difference in scale. Those 9 dimensions aren't "compressed" into one place, they are compressed *into* space. They are *everywhere*.

Another way to look at it is the 3 dimensions are contained WITHIN the 9 dimensions, however the perception of conscious experience turns the entire thing inside out (which is what "compresses" them), but they are always ever present and both encompass our 3 dimensions and are contained within the 3 dimensions. It's like trying to say "Where did you compress the 3rd dimension when drawing a 2 dimension graph?"

The third dimension was always there, however from within the 2 dimensional graph, the third dimension will be "compressed" into an infinitely thin space within the 2 dimensions, yet from our perspective the 3 dimensions are "bigger" than the 2 dimensions.

It's about the vantage point of observation. We are observing from within the 3 dimensions. We are the Flat Landers.
edit on 27-12-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConfusion

It is impossible for there to be no influence. If you take the Mandlebrot set, and you wish to change the tiniest portion, you will change the entire thing.

This is a very compelling way of thinking.
But did you read the full article?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

I changed the title.

That, sir or madam, was a very cool response in my book.

I tip my hat to you!
edit on 12/27/2011 by Open2Truth because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/27/2011 by Open2Truth because: quote code malfunction

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Yup! I enjoyed it as well, but I did not walk away with the same implications as you, and don't feel that they saying the other dimensions have "gone" thus there are only three "left", only that the three we experience tangibly "emerged" from the original 9. It even states clearly at the end that the results *support* String Theory, which is a theory that states the fundamental aspect of the universe is more than 3 dimensions, only that the other dimensions are not detectable at our level of typical observation.

2D "projections" of 3D objects are called shadows. 3D "objects" are the shadows of 4D objects. 4D is shadow of 5D just like 1D is the shadow of 2D. The 2D shadow we cast "emerges" from our 3D shape, and is compressed into an infinitely thin "image". Just as our 3D universe "emerges" from the additional dimensions discussed in the article.

We are basically living in the shadow of the 4D space, which is the shadow of the 5D space (all the way "up").
edit on 27-12-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I'm a very visual person i.e., I have too "see" things work in my head, in order to completely understand them. Your last few posts layed it out for me in a way I can visualize it, kudos.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by V4SL4ND

Awesome, thanks!

I really enjoy seeking as many different ways to describe the same elephant.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

it was about this:

In fact the entire universe's mechanisms are impossible to consider without the behavior of electrons despite the difference in scale. Those 9 dimensions aren't "compressed" into one place, they are compressed *into* space. They are *everywhere*.

That made me think you did not fully read it.

Kudos for your explanation BTW and thanks,

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join