It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They found one, a real honest man!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Suppose you find 10,000 dollar in cash, what would you do?

This guy did the right thing, what a great timing, it being Christmas and so.

The Telegraph.com

LAS Vegas might be known as Sin City, but a Colorado man has been hailed a saint after returning $10,000 he found at the gambling mecca's airport to its rightful owner.

Mitch Gilbert, of Greenwood Village, found two unmarked Caesar's Palace envelopes at McCarran International Airport as he was leaving Las Vegas earlier this month, KUSA-TV reported.

When he opened the envelopes at home, Gilbert discovered each contained $5,000 cash.

"There was $5,000 in each envelope. I just about fell over, I couldn't believe it," Gilbert said.

After attempting to report his find to Las Vegas airport authorities, Gilbert said he was told it was against the rules for them to note down his details.

"I wanted to show my kids the right thing to do. It would have been a lot easier keeping it to be honest with you. But I felt like I had to get it back to the right person," Gilbert said.

Despite the lack of cooperation by the authorities, Gilbert refused to give up. He called the airport a number of times until finally being told two weeks later that a man from El Paso, Texas, had reported losing two Caesar's Palace envelopes containing $10,000 cash.

"She goes, 'Well, this is breaking the rules, but you're trying to do the right thing,'" Gilbert said, explaining that the woman had passed on the man's details.

The money arrived in Ignacio Marquez's account two days before Christmas. He told KUSA-TV that he had dropped the money at the airport as he rushed for his flight.

"Relief is an understatement. Cash money is very difficult to get back. I'm very appreciative to Mitch and his family. You do not find people like this," Marquez said.

"I will always thank Mitch for doing this. That could have easily just gone south, instead of what happened."

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Good for him. I wish stuff like this was more publicized. Instead of having "copycat killers" we could have "copycat good samaritans" I've never found even close to this amount of money but I have found and returned money on two separate occasions. Once, when I was about 12 we found money, credit cards and a wallet strewn across the side of the road and I gathered it up and made my Mom call the guys house from the name and address we called on the license. The 2nd time I was getting money from an ATM and the guy who in front of me left a $20 in the tray so I grabbed it and ran out to his car before he left. I definitely thought about keeping the $20 since I was about 22 years old and I was on my way out to the bar, haha.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

I love your idea of the copycat good Samaritans.
I falls in the same category as paying forward.
I only found a wallet once, as a child and dropped it at the police station.
Felt good.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

"I will always thank Mitch for doing this. That could have easily just gone south, instead of what happened."

Then reward the man who returned it. He went more than out of his way to return this money which in the end was winnings from gambling. I think rewarding him half the money would be fair.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

Then reward the man who returned it. He went more than out of his way to return this money which in the end was winnings from gambling. I think rewarding him half the money would be fair.

His reward was the opportunity to give his own children a practical lesson in honesty.
And maybe the joy he created in the heart of the other man.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I understand that fully but I guess showing your children that sometimes you get paid for honesty is also an incentive. I would have rewarded the man for his honesty. Especially if I had just won the money.
edit on 27-12-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

well i disagree
a fool is what this man is

this is all part of the programming that creates poor people and insures that they will go back to being poor a few years after winning the lottery.

nobody who loses 10k is poor,needy, or is going to be hurt
especially when you consider this is Vegas we're talking about

i've no doubt that the idiot's family needed that money more than the guy who dropped it
wonder what his kids got for christmas, probably only necessaries like clothes and some cheap 2 rate stuff.
way to go dad!

the goddess of fortune gave him a smile and he spat in her face, she won't be approaching him again, ever and you can take that to the bank.

notice how all he got was a thank you, how pathetic. can you spell LOSER?

incontrovertible proof of Robert Ringers "you won't get credit for it" theory
edit on 27-12-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I still disagree with you.
I think honesty has a high value.

Maybe there is another interesting angle to this story.
I found "another" Mitch Gilbert, of Greenwood Village, he is a real estate agent in that region.

Suppose there could be some value in being the only "certified honest" real estate agent in the region.
Maybe they are the same.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

if he's the real estate guy
this takes the cake for a publicity stunt L
L

perhaps that's the "lesson" being taught

but that would actually make him dishonest if you think about it.

you still disagree? what?
did we meet on one the recent found money/wallet/ipod threads

edit on 27-12-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I meant, if this was a non biased act of goodness, I would not consider this guy an idiot.

On the other hand, it could be a well organised hoax, to support his business.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Hmm... so the universe decides to bless you with multiple thousands of dollars--out of the blue--and instead of saying thanks, you slap God in the cahonas; and you proceed to make it your mission in life to find the rightful owner of the cash? Sad.

Ungrateful people.

This is why miracles don't happen very often.

edit on 27-12-2011 by unworldly because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join