It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's a thread on this already

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I was happy to see a new Roswell thread on the firehose but of course the thread police showed up within the first couple of posts to point out that yes, there are indeed several Roswell threads on ATS.

Why is this such a big deal? I understand you don't want duplicate threads but if I were to add a comment onto an existing thread, (and some of them are quite ancient) chances are the thread police will come and ask why I would resurrect an old thread or try to join a discussion that ended long ago. I haven't seen an active Roswell discussion in quite some time.

When it comes to breaking news, sure its okay to try to condense it into one or two threads. But I think older subjects and fresh discussions are hard to come by and I'm sick of your "SOMEONE MADE THIS THREAD ALREADY DURHUR" business taking up the entire first page.

/rant

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I tend to agree with you. I would never see a thread from eons ago if a new comment was made on it and I think most of us would miss out.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I havn't been on ATS very long, and I tend to click on the new topics throughout my "Busy" work day, but...

one thing I am curious about, is why when something is posted, there is always some one who says "existing topic here... and here..." use search feature, mods please delete....

These are regular members... when i see a new topic, i dont immediately do a search for it to see if there is an existing thread, thats not why im here... I dont get it.. do these people want to kiss up to the mods or something? why?

That is the most annoying thing about ATS to me.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

it keeps the kiddies busy and hopefully off the streets doing real damage.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Thats fine if the new thread is bringing some new information to the table, then not only should the thread title or indeed the introduction indicate that it does contain new information / evidence which will stop the 'so called' thread police because it wont be a repeat. But if someone is just rehashing the same old information that was posted ages ago, then yes, people are right to point out that there is already a thread about this.

Granted it's a slighty different matter if you are trying to give the subject a bump, but when you have so many people who do not bother to use the search function and you end up with multiple threads of exactly the same thing, it's annoying and a waste of people's time.

What personally annoys me more is when people entitle threads with Roswell, illuminato etc etc and start the thread with "so what really happened? I think its true, anyone agree?" and leave it at that. Total waste of time.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

While I agree making a new thread when one is dead thru age makes sense, I agree also with putting all new threads relating to the same topic in one place so we can get everyone's views on the subject, it just saves time and repeating ourselves less often.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

dude, theres already a thread ranting about how theres already a thread about roswell. It was started 8 years ago. So I guess.. We gotta shut down your rant.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

These are regular members... when i see a new topic, i dont immediately do a search for it to see if there is an existing thread, thats not why im here... I dont get it.. do these people want to kiss up to the mods or something? why?

Don't get me wrong, there are people who go way overboard with it, and seem like their main goal is just to make sure they get it in the first reply, but on the other hand:

This thread from a couple weeks ago: NEW TOPICS Screen Capture. Really!?

P.S.

These are regular members.....
Intelligence is not a requirement, in order for someone to become a 'regular member'.

Breaking News is something that can easily cause multiple threads, and can be very annoying. There are certain things though, that many would not even think to search for. This is a very good example of that. In my short time on this site, I seem to come across a thread on one of these, about once per month:

The Scale Of The Universe
and/or
Nikon Universcale

They are each a little different from one another, but are both interesting. Every time I see a thread on one of those, there's always a couple of "That's been posted before"

....but c'mon now. Who the hell is gonna get online, and just randomly search for one of those?? Most people would never even think about it, but to just happen to come across it as a new thread, will be enjoyable for some.

Check em out. Bookmark them.
Then someday maybe you too can post a "Been There Done That" Reply.

edit on 12/27/11 by BrokenCircles because: Universcale

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I agree, one can say anything to anyone if t is worded properly. For example some just simply add to the thread by reminding us there are existing threads that pertains to the same subject. Some, however, are ignorant and suggest that nothing possibly good or new can come from a new thread.

Search is your friend, dont get me wrong guys, but ATS Search is OK at best. It needs work. Like a date filter.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

There's a thread on this already.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ha ha ha....just kidding! I hate, hate, hate it when people just have to post that. Tattletales everyone.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think that if its a new point on an existing and broad topic, then it warrants a new thread.

No one wants to wade through pages to see if the information is in there, and the point gets lost.

Now if its the EXACT same topic, then yes, that may warrant a complaint. If the topic is more then six months old, then start a new thread.

JMO

top topics

join