One gets what one deserves

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I am not really interested in the moralistic point of view, what is right or wrong. I am more interested in the questions of how things are and why, without a value statement.

There are limitations that we are born into, not only genetically, but through our environment. It is not entirely true to say that a person born into a rich family has the same chances as someone born into poverty.

There are, for example, human needs that, if not fulfilled, a person cannot look beyond them. A person born and being raised in an environment which is lacking in the basic fundamentals like food, shelter, affection, cannot focus upon education. The body and the psychology we all share has mechanisms that drive us to get the essentials first.

When you are hungry, or cold, unprotected or unloved, you cannot focus on reading books. They may be available at the library, but they do not provide those essentials. It is not until these are fulfilled that the body and mind is freed to reach on to things like education. The immediate needs take over the focus of tending to long term goals.

Besides, people like to see the contrast which reminds them they are better off, or somehow superior, so need to see the poorer, the less responsible, the inferior around to make that possible. Your good feeling about ho you are and what you have done was inspired by the perception of this man so different from yourself. So they do serve something!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
BlackSatinDancer,
Appreciate your words and undersand them but I am not sure how I hung up the phone when I physically responded to an emotional feeling which was quite new to me; that of me putting a large TV into my nice car and a homeless man being turned away by an unkind woman. Surely I'm the nice guy here? He didn't even come to me... I went to him!! I saw a huge difference in society and I tried to bridge that gap in the only way I could; some dosh in the car. I don't think he takes mastercard and I also reckon he's never been given more than £5 during his homeless days. I'm not searching for it at all since I did it alone and didn't tell anybody and nobody saw apart from the lady (not even my partner knows) but could I have a little positive light shed on me? Don't forget, this was just the catalyst for my larger thinking of: choice = reap what you sow, where human intervention is concerned.

Christopher Hitchens died of cancer - he didn't 'deserve' it, some say he did deserve it (which is a little cruel, I think) but, generally speaking, nobody deserves cancer as a killer. It's beyond our control, though.

I genuinely believe that ANYBODY (let's move on from homeless people, shall we?) can make a difference in their life simply by creating opporutnity. What you put it will usually come out in your favour. Sometimes you'll get bonuses and sometimes you'll lose a bit, but all in all, you'll have balanced, 'worthy' life that you deserve.

As I said, I stacked shelves. Technically, I would have had an uninteresting life. Not massive support from family and a simple, 'poor'-ish life both financially and reward-based. But, I chose to jump into the French language a while back, find a job teaching English in France (paying for a TEFL certificate and getting distinction) and living in France, meeting a French girl etc etc,. I still see a few similar faces when I go home to that same Tesco! Imagine. 7 years later, I am here and they are still stacking shelves. They may be happy but they have what they 'deserve'. That's all. I'm not saying if it's a better life or requires more brain power. They have what they deserve (stacking shelves for £1200/month) because they put in just waking up and going to work and going home. I, however, moved abroad and already have a huge list of experiences, three foreign languages, 1 of which used as an interpreter (the other 2 in the making) and other things I don't need to list now but which have occured through effort and 'deserving' them.

It's about effort and creating opportunities out of thin air. Send an email, set up a meeting, publicise a talent, create a portfolio of work and present it to established people/organisations, travel abroad and get a cheap simple job cleaning plates in a restaurant kitchen, pick up the lingo, walk in mountains in Italy, basque in the sun on your day off on a beach in Greece. Such opportunities don't require huge effort yet can lead to unbelievable experiences.

If anything, I'd like to hope at least one person feels a little inspired to change their life for the better after reading my words. After all, I'm not looking for confrontation. I'm still young, have many things to learn and experience and many people to meet and enjoy.

But it won't happen sitting outside a shop.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DB340

Dude you really have no idea do you? you assume we are all the same and have the same abilitie to make those choice's to send an email to improve our own live's, we don't... you want to move on from homeless people but your OP is about the homeless and you are saying it is their own fault they are there because they "deserve it".
Yes you did good by giving someone less fortunate than you but then you come to the conclusion that "they deserved it" you don't know what caused the fella to be homeless but you assume he is a druggie and a drinker.
Some people cant make the choice's you or I can because they are mentally ill and cant make that choice. So we as a society must help them and then they can send those magic e-mails which will improve their life.
Fine you be a rotter and us lot who have seen both sides of the fence will continue to help others in need.
Just because your doing OK in your life doesn't give you the right to say people who are unfortunate deserve what they get.
Also you just said that you hope people to be inspired reading your post? Sorry fella your just doing what everyone else is trying to do, nothing special.... but why not do something special and help another human being out eh?
edit on 27-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DB340

I have a couple of small thoughts on your Opening Post. One, is the idea that we get what we deserve. I sincerely hope not. I rely on forgiveness, mercy, and kindness on a regular basis. "Treat others as you would wish to be treated."

Two, it's not about the guy in the street. It's not about his choices and his life, who can know those? It's about you. Do generosity and kindness flow from your heart? Can you love those that others hate? Are material things your measure of success?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DB340
BlackSatinDancer,
Appreciate your words and undersand them but I am not sure how I hung up the phone when I physically responded to an emotional feeling which was quite new to me; that of me putting a large TV into my nice car and a homeless man being turned away by an unkind woman. Surely I'm the nice guy here? He didn't even come to me... I went to him

Christopher Hitchens died of cancer - he didn't 'deserve' it, some say he did deserve it (which is a little cruel, I think) but, generally speaking, nobody deserves cancer as a killer. It's beyond our control, though.

I genuinely believe that ANYBODY (let's move on from homeless people, shall we?) can make a difference in their life simply by creating opporutnity. What you put it will usually come out in your favour. Sometimes you'll get bonuses and sometimes you'll lose a bit, but all in all, you'll have balanced, 'worthy' life that you deserve.

As I said, I stacked shelves. Technically, I would have had an uninteresting life. Not massive support from family and a simple, 'poor'-ish life both financially and reward-based. But, I chose to jump into the French language a while back, find a job teaching English in France (paying for a TEFL certificate and getting distinction) and living in France, meeting a French girl etc etc,. I still see a few similar faces when I go home to that same Tesco! Imagine. 7 years later, I am here and they are still stacking shelves. They may be happy but they have what they 'deserve'. That's all. I'm not saying if it's a better life or requires more brain power. They have what they deserve (stacking shelves for £1200/month) because they put in just waking up and going to work and going home. I, however, moved abroad and already have a huge list of experiences, three foreign languages, 1 of which used as an interpreter (the other 2 in the making) and other things I don't need to list now but which have occured through effort and 'deserving' them.

It's about effort and creating opportunities out of thin air. Send an email, set up a meeting, publicise a talent, create a portfolio of work and present it to established people/organisations, travel abroad and get a cheap simple job cleaning plates in a restaurant kitchen, pick up the lingo, walk in mountains in Italy, basque in the sun on your day off on a beach in Greece. Such opportunities don't require huge effort yet can lead to unbelievable experiences.

If anything, I'd like to hope at least one person feels a little inspired to change their life for the better after reading my words. After all, I'm not looking for confrontation. I'm still young, have many things to learn and experience and many people to meet and enjoy.

But it won't happen sitting outside a shop.

Don't forget that you retracted your good deed for us to discuss, correct?

do not act like other people have not worked and worked hard when you do not even know them.

I had a great job once... loved it. up Until a very large thick neck man that i remember as a gaurd got in my face and started chanting that i was the devil... and then my boss, when I told him, explained to me that he was not talking to me but perhaps an invisible person that i could not see that this man believed was there.

Oh.

Ok.

That makes it perfectly understandable that i would be minding my own business doing what i do every day and well... and am approached by this man alone on the dock who could only be talking to me or an invisible entity.

He should have been walked out.

You think this is the only thing that has happened?

Guess again. This same man was preaching bible prophecy everyday AT A LOWES DISTRIBUTION CENTER during break and i was the topic of a lot of conversations and that is nothing. Somebody on one occasion saw me coming down the dock on my lift and slid a mallet across the floor to try to lock up my tires and make me wreck. yep... Derrick browning and that big neck #er's name is Lonnie something. i got wrote up when eric ingram in maintainance put me with a squeeze clamp that is a LARGE piece of forklift machinery attachment that had a broken pen and would not write it up for sliding... and while working it flew off the lift and crashed onto the floor...could have hurt somebody bad.

these people had people knocking on my door and this was years ago but just last may, my house was broken into AGAIN by people who had gotten near me through work.

You don't KNOW everything.

You don't INSIST people sell their souls or hand over their lives to be more like you just because YOU THINK it's the "proper way" when you can't see past your own experiences.

FACE IT... you did not walk in this man's shoes... DO NOT tell him it's just as simple as that... because you do not KNOW.

You guess, you know NOTHING for sure about that man. You might have no inkling of an idea what has happened to him.
edit on 27-12-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
The homeless man was what got me thinking about people having what they deserve. People know that most homeless people will drink or buy drugs. Heck, you even SEE them everywhere you go with bottles and cigarettes. You're from the UK it says... well, we have a few towns and cities with homeless people. If the majority smoke and drink from the money they are given, how is that seen as doing them a favour?

Second, my post is primarily about anybody who should realise the world is full of opportunity and that, no matter your material wealth (from birth or acquired, and no, I am not 'rich', I just enjoy rewards from my created opportunities) you should have the same choices about how you live your life: as a good, intelligent person or as a bad, stupid person. You can be both from a poor or rich background. History and current news events show us that is true.

That's all I'm saying, really. Nothing about being better and nothing about selfishness or living a wonderful life. I have tons more things to do; I haven't even done half of it yet! But, as I've said all along, it won't happen by doing nothing. Doing nothing can be sitting outside, stacking shelves or wasting my life on YouTube, for example.

It was this, that I hoped people would pick up on more than anything else.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DB340

Your murdered homeless man - his name was Charlie he was a human being just like you and I he had a name.

You did not address your response to me so I am unsure whether you were responding in general or to me directly. You only referred to Charlie and not the Children I referred to nor the brave Student who stood before the army tanks - I believe the Students - people who were trying to better themselves and their life opportunities - were wanting their government to help them with their study and living conditions - many Students crammed into small living quarters because they could afford no other option.

I am a Teacher and recently a Student - out of the blue - very unexpectedly - during a maths class asked me;

Miss do you believe in Karma?

I replied - I used to.

Somehow I know my reply is one that would echo the thoughts of others.

Much Peace...to all the Souls who need our support even when it is only kindness...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DB340

At least you've tried to write a some what logical justification for inequality. The first part of your story was quite inspiring, you helped that man enjoy Christmas and gave him hope that some people out there do care about him. It's sad to see how you've changed your perspective.

Because I chose to not stand outside a shop and beg.
All countries have their share of poor people, some more than others. If there are rich people, then there must also be poor people. You can't have one without the other. Everyone has the ability to work hard and get ahead in life, but not everyone will get ahead in life. Some times a person might lose their job because another employee lies and sets them up. Or the collapsing economy might cause a business to let go of employees to cut costs, or even worse the whole business could go down and all the employees could go jobless. Situations like this could force a person into debt, they might even lose their home and become homeless if they can't find another job and house fast enough.

To the homeless man: I want my fiver back. Go and do something with your life.
Why did he get the fiver if he didn't deserve it? How do you know he didn't do something productive with that money after you were kind enough to show him some consideration? Those magicians you were talking about, why did they help you out? Did they expect you to pay them? Imagine if no one had the decency to help another person unless it benifited them in some way. You will find that you are where you are in life because many different people have helped you get there, and you've helped others get where they are in life. If life was just a constant competition between everyone and no one helped out their fellow man when they were in need, this world would be a very, very, sad and lonely place my friend. Some times you need to go with your heart instead of your mind.
edit on 27-12-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

The homeless man was what got me thinking about people having what they deserve. People know that most homeless people will drink or buy drugs. Heck, you even SEE them everywhere you go with bottles and cigarettes. You're from the UK it says... well, we have a few towns and cities with homeless people. If the majority smoke and drink from the money they are given, how is that seen as doing them a favour?

Second, my post is primarily about anybody who should realise the world is full of opportunity and that, no matter your material wealth (from birth or acquired, and no, I am not 'rich', I just enjoy rewards from my created opportunities) you should have the same choices about how you live your life: as a good, intelligent person or as a bad, stupid person. You can be both from a poor or rich background. History and current news events show us that is true.

That's all I'm saying, really. Nothing about being better and nothing about selfishness or living a wonderful life. I have tons more things to do; I haven't even done half of it yet! But, as I've said all along, it won't happen by doing nothing. Doing nothing can be sitting outside, stacking shelves or wasting my life on YouTube, for example.

It was this, that I hoped people would pick up on more than anything else.

Stacking shelves is doing something...it's putting food on the shelves....we are all part's of a big wheel, someone has to stack those shelves, remember your job doesn't define who you are.
If your OP was to basically say "Do something" you said it wrong by saying "Don't do anything" (To help people) are you saying we can only help ourselves? because that is wrong we all need help from time to time.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
There is only so much I can write to keep up with things. I didn't respond to each situation individually because I wanted to be brief without ignoring you.

The person who stood in front of the tank. What did you think would happen to him? If I walked in front of a tank or two, I would expect to eventually be arrested and other things happen. I mean, there is sensible protest and there is senseless protest. He got what he deserved, which isn't always positive, as I have stated in other posts. The thief will get what he deserves in the form of imprisonment. The hard worker will be rewarded by more money or a promotion. The traveller will be rewarded by memorable experiences and interesting people to enrich his life and knowledge. The man who reads books will become knowledgeable. It's cause and effect, no? If you stand in front of a chain of tanks, I can't really imagine a positive outcome to be honest. It might be 'unfair', just like dying of cancer (as seems to be my running example), but it was 'deserved'. Think about it - the people who didn't stand in front of the tank... they didn't get killed, did they? No. Quite. If I said I was going to do that, everyone (correctly) would tell me I'm an idiot. There are more successful ways of protest.

I can't be sure that every homeless person is there through choice or not, it goes without saying (so why do I have to say it!?) but everyone should agree that a 'large majority' of them do indeed use money for drinking or buying drugs.

I'll say again, since some people seem to be missing my point:

Creating opporutnities results in reward. People don't just spring up homeless on the street, do they? They travel in a downward spiral until they arrive there. In the same way people living lives they don't want to live usually do not create opportunities to move up and away in their lives.

Please stop using homeless people as a counter-argument. He was what got me started on 'reap what you sow' - my thread is not entitled "Why homeless people are homeless", it is entitled "People get what they deserve", and that includes rich people and poor people as well as homeless.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Sir,

I really can't agree more and to be honest, I don't know why people don't get what I am saying. I don't wish to be in this position of ATS vs. Me.

The whole reason I am where I am in because I created opportunities. I encouraged people to help me through being curtious, kind and in some way trying to pay them back either through money (such as buying drinks) or offering them travel costs. Like I said, I am consciencious more often than not.

I absolutely love to help people. From little things like giving way when driving when I don't really need to, all the way to giving quite a bit of money to a friend without wanting it back, giving people lifts when they're stranded due to weather/buses, waking up at stupid AM to help someone, somehow, somewhere... etc. I see I do a lot more than others in my immediate surroundings I can assure you.

My final sentence was written more as a 'ruffle the feathers' of ATS to get people answering. I don't really want or need that fiver and I am sure he did buy something positive because of his thanks. But, it was actually a more general response to the homeless or ungrateful who expect everyone to do things for them or who lead lives which are far less value and quality than they should be for that person but, unfrotunately, they deserve such a life (usually) because they don't put in anything.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The opportunities question really strikes me as faulty though.
A person who, due to their situation and environment, lacks self esteem, confidence, and hope, does not have the same ability to go out and create an opportunity, and take the same risks!

I once was talking with some friends of ours, who are very well off, and come from families that are. Their kids are teens. She said something about how he is working hard at school and has his educational goals set, and laughed something like, "Well, he knows that is the only way he's going to get that Ferrari, right?" I must have looked exactly as confused as I felt, because she went on- "I mean..... your kids know that right? It's not going to fall from the sky??" Big grin, thinking I'll get it.

I was actually sitting there thinking, a Ferrari? When I was young, I barely knew those existed, and if they did, they were like something in fairytales- not a real possibility for me! They were what the movies stars drive, those modern versions of half -gods. I would never have even dreamed of such things, they never entered my mind.

My goals for the future were to have a family- a real group of people who live together and support and love each other, a roof over my head, and food each and every day. Those were my dreams, and even those seemed pretty far fetched. But I guess her kids grew up actually seeing real people in their lives with things like expensive cars, and could imagine it as a real possibility. I know they grew up in a home, with a father and mother, and not only food each day, but some rather good food... so they could dream further.

Funny, op, you said you married a french girl, ended up in France.... I married a French man, and live in France!
And we live rather well, and I do have to deal with jealousy from the women around, who stayed in the same village they were born into, married their second cousin (often), and had to take a job as a cleaning lady, driving a crappy car. And barely scraping by. They snear at how easy my life is.

And I want to let them know how terribly difficult it was for me to leave my country, leave my family, to a place I could not speak the language, could not understand the culture, and had no security at all...... the risks I took to do MORE.

But ultimately, I had the luck of meeting a french man and we both fell in love, and maybe if these women had met a foriegn man, they would have taken the same risks. But they didn't get that opportunity. It's not like they didn't dare to take it, they just didn't have that door open up. They didn't have men around to choose from in this little village that had any dreams beyond what their father and their grandfather before him did. I was born poor, but into a metropolitan environment which gave me the chance to meet people from all over the world. Their environment and the limited experiences and views around them did not give the same opportunities.

So despite my wanting to get credit for the risks I have taken and that brought me more in life than they, I still have to recognize that I had more game peices to play with from the beginning.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
You certainly do,

And in one of the most famous Near Death Experiences ever recorded that man may have made some very important choices before he came to earth, and certainly not about 5 quid lol

Her book, Embraced by the Light, became a New York Times bestseller. Her NDE is considered to be one of the most detailed and most profound NDEs ever documented. The argument can be made that her NDE and book was responsible for causing other experiencers to come forward with their own NDEs, thereby proliferating the knowledge of the NDE to millions of readers.

Wanting to explore the universe, she is escorted by two light beings into the vastness of space. She travels to other worlds similar to earth having intelligent beings on them. She returns to the garden and is taken to a place where many spirits are preparing for life on Earth.

Her guides show her a drunken man lying on the sidewalk. They ask her what she sees. She sees only a drunk wallowing in his own filth. Her guides show her who the man really is. They reveal to her the man is filled with light and love and who is greatly admired in the spirit world for being a reminder to people of the need to help others.
Near Death Experiences The Famous and Documented 3.5meg PDF

I'm glad you brought this up! This is my view and people get so mad at me for thinking this way. I truly do believe though that homelessness and all the other crummy things in our world are just symptoms of a sick society. I really think all is as it should be and for a very specific purpose; to move us forward and away from the OP's type of mentality. Basically so we can learn from and understand.

I didn't read through the entire thread up till this point but I'm happy to see that there are still people with a heart that's operational out there. I wonder where you're all at because you're all certainly not anywhere near me!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DB340

Why should we stop using homeless people in this thread when your OP is about a homeless person who you helped then decided it was wrong to help him.
Yes we get you think that we all have the power to change our lifes, but we don't, some things happen in our life which is out of our control and can bring about a downward spiral. Life is a bitch sometimes but I hope that if my life went south some people would help me out like I have done for other people.
You view is to black and white for my liking.
Oh and do some reading about homeless people yes many have a drinking problem but only a 5th have a drug problem.
It is society's fault for this and this is what needs to change.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

There is only so much I can write to keep up with things. I didn't respond to each situation individually because I wanted to be brief without ignoring you.

The person who stood in front of the tank. What did you think would happen to him? If I walked in front of a tank or two, I would expect to eventually be arrested and other things happen. I mean, there is sensible protest and there is senseless protest. He got what he deserved, which isn't always positive, as I have stated in other posts. The thief will get what he deserves in the form of imprisonment. The hard worker will be rewarded by more money or a promotion. The traveller will be rewarded by memorable experiences and interesting people to enrich his life and knowledge. The man who reads books will become knowledgeable. It's cause and effect, no? If you stand in front of a chain of tanks, I can't really imagine a positive outcome to be honest. It might be 'unfair', just like dying of cancer (as seems to be my running example), but it was 'deserved'. Think about it - the people who didn't stand in front of the tank... they didn't get killed, did they? No. Quite. If I said I was going to do that, everyone (correctly) would tell me I'm an idiot. There are more successful ways of protest.

I can't be sure that every homeless person is there through choice or not, it goes without saying (so why do I have to say it!?) but everyone should agree that a 'large majority' of them do indeed use money for drinking or buying drugs.

I'll say again, since some people seem to be missing my point:

Creating opporutnities results in reward. People don't just spring up homeless on the street, do they? They travel in a downward spiral until they arrive there. In the same way people living lives they don't want to live usually do not create opportunities to move up and away in their lives.

Please stop using homeless people as a counter-argument. He was what got me started on 'reap what you sow' - my thread is not entitled "Why homeless people are homeless", it is entitled "People get what they deserve", and that includes rich people and poor people as well as homeless.

a lot of the drugs that people do have an effect on 'feel good" brain chemicals same as the drugs that doctors prescribe for people who have insurance... but that is okay even though they can make you go crazy and kill people too not to mention destroy your organs over the years and make you dependent on even more expensive drugs.... but it's okay becauseit is cohesive with the insurance system and the medical system and doctors approve it.

i was molested by a doctor for about twenty minutes once.

another doctor told me my tonsils were swollen because i was depressed and he thought i should go on meds.

another doctor who worked for the company i worked for told me that the results of the xray might not be the result of the toxic chemicals i was breathing in the make shift paint booth i was made to use that had several OSHA violations and di not get shut down until I mentioned OSHA tests, right before they tried to pin the liability on me for breathing their toxic air by testing me for pot.

he said it was likely the result of my own actions before even investigating my actions and talking to me like a real person and refused to share the results of the xrays.

again, people really need to stop judging people. what does anybody really care if someone they have little regard for tries to make themselves feel better the only way they know how. maybe they are stupid and should find better means to feel good and maybe they would... IF THEY COULD.

there are people living in slums RIGHT THIS MINUTE who have no idea they are breathing toxic substances, but i guess that is their fault too for being poor and not being able to see microscopic particles floating in the air with their naked eyes.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
You missed the point of your experience completely, and I feel more sorry for you than the homeless guy.

I'm trying not to judge but seriously if that's all it takes to help you justify what you witnessed yourself, then you can't be helped.
I'm sorry if I offend you it is not my intention just my opinion, I don't agree with you at all.
I wont star or flag

enjoy your tv...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
If one considers the amount of power and material assets one has acquired and kept for himself and his kind as rewards of success, one and their kind soon becomes obsessed with such things, and in time no amount of these commodities will be enough to satisfy their exponential greed.

When resources run thin, for oil, eletricity, water, food, land, (tv,ipads,iphones.... hahaa wink wink) conflicts often arise.

Life isn't about resources... it maybe important, but to view it as the ultimate conquest in life leads too often to becoming a cancer to everything in the physial planes and dimensions.

I think physical Life is more about the challenge and striving to live in harmony, sharing and uplifting of not just our kin, race or speices, but that of the environment, ideally to create/form an utopian world for all living things.

An almost impossible task to acheive, but in time as we striving for it, hopefully the characteristics of our species will become more resonsible, respectful, appreciative while becoming less barbaric, selfish, unreasonable as well as being less judgemental on everything in the physical realms.

The choice is ours. Choose a path.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by DB340

I have a couple of small thoughts on your Opening Post. One, is the idea that we get what we deserve. I sincerely hope not. I rely on forgiveness, mercy, and kindness on a regular basis. "Treat others as you would wish to be treated."

Two, it's not about the guy in the street. It's not about his choices and his life, who can know those? It's about you. Do generosity and kindness flow from your heart? Can you love those that others hate? Are material things your measure of success?

Well said!
Fact is we don't always get what we deserve. Not in this life anyway. There are those who do unspeakable things and who live the life of riley till they die. There are others who endure terrible suffering. And for your information OP, many on the street, have mental health problems.
I'm guessing the OP is very young to come across so smug, self centred and arrogant.
edit on 27-12-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Try reading all my responses before making stupid comments. It does nothing to the thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
You should have just spent the money that you did on the tv on booze. Then invited your misfortunate friend over to drink yourselves stupid. He probably spent the money that you gave him on booze anyway, and that tv you bought will turn you into an even bigger idiot than drinking yourself stupid. Stop over-analysing everything and have some damn fun or read a book. If you feel guilty about your little choices in life, then beat somebody like yourself lol.
I try to do a good deed daily. Because I believe in karma. I would've helped him. I wouldn't have questioned myself afterward though. You know that being a do-gooder is pathetic when they think that doing something good is actually bad.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join