It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long before a third party can rise to power?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I realize the system is rigged against third parties which is a shame as this is supposed to be a democracy, but the current parties have been abusing power and angering the people. So my question is, how close are we to a point where one of these third parties starts to make hay?

Despite what your political views are, whether you are an "occupy wall streeter" or a tea party or something in between, it seems the general consensus is that people are fed up. I am relatively young and history works in cycles, but can anyone with more years and wisdom think of any time in the recent history when America has been this discontent with the status quo? I know there was a lot of protesting during Vietnam but wasnt that mainly a one issue thing? Seems right now people are generally upset with everything from economics to foreign policy to civil rights and personal freedoms.

Ultimately the will of the people is where the true power is despite those in govt trying everything to keep it. If things get bad enough people will be looking for alternatives. Are we getting close to some kind of evolution within our political system?

Discuss.
edit on 27-12-2011 by -Blackout- because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
A Third Party can NEVER rise in the United States. The Third Party concept has been successfully locked out through legislation not only on the Federal level, but on the State level as well.

That is what the “Party” system is all about. The “Party” system was created as vehicle to control and limit choice within the Political structure. When we have Representatives whose loyalty is to the “Party” instead of being as it should loyalty to the People in whom that represent, the legislative changes necessary to allow a Third Party to rise will never come about.

AND,

In reality we don’t even have a Two Party System in the United States. We have a One Party System, with two heads.

Ever notice how it doesn’t matter which Party is in Power, nothing ever changes. The Republicans have controlled both House and the President as well have the Democrats; one would think that when a Political Party is in complete power we would see that Party’s agenda enacted, but that does not occur.

The only agenda that is ever moved forward is the Globalist Agenda.

Sure the two parties put on a great show, always appearing that they can’t agree on anything, but this is just an act. The MSM helps this propaganda by becoming the “Voice” of the division. The MSM supplies talking heads to create the illusion that there is a difference between the two parties, but when one only views the actions taken, it is quite apparent that each party is working closely together in order to bring in a “New World Order”

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I would think, that these next 2-3 elections would be the perfect opportunity for a 3rd party to rise up.

But as others have said, "they" have mad it pretty impossible for it to happen.

I think people would be attracted to the idea just because they're so sick of this current Dem-Repub. paradigm.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I think Now or Never is an accurate response. I also agree with the above poster.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Does anyone here remember if we have seen this much discontent with the status quo? Has it ever been this bad before in the annals of American History?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I think for the first time in history we have a chance at a third party run and win.

A Ron Paul/Jessie Ventura third party ticket would have the financial support to be able to run and win.

Ron Paul is the first real presidential candidate who has enough grassroots supporters who are willing to finance a real campaign and win.

He has support from Republican, Independent AND Democratic voters. Democrats are switching to Republican on paper just to vote in the primary for Ron Paul.

Personally, my Ron Paul wardrobe will grow with every Money Bomb

If Ron Paul runs with Jessie I will cut my budget so I can contribute EVERY MONTH!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I think there are only two ways a 3rd party even gets to the general election stage and neither are very hopeful. First, it's by the ultra rich like Ross Perot. In that case, 3rd party is a very relative label to use as the super rich didn't get that way by being rebels with a cause. They got that way by being good insiders until they were actually invited to come inside themselves.

The second is the better of the two, but the most unlikely. OWS, TPM or a combination of the two can amass the money required to overcome the barriers put in place to make this almost impossible in the United States now. It would take that, and more, to match the resources of a Perot or Trump who can actually make it happen for THEIR OWN self interests but not ours.

I guess it's back to Ron Paul the write in since he said he wouldn't go 3rd party...and I wouldn't want him elected if he broke such a core promise he's made. The fact he DOES NOT break promises like that are what make him so attractive as it is.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
What is being overlooked is that the Population of the US doesn’t elect the President, the President is elected by the Electoral College and the “Two Party” system controls who the delegates chosen are.

So, with out the ability to control the selection of the Electoral College Delegates , a Third Party can NEVER hope to win the White House.

This is the very reason Ron Paul no longer runs under the libertarian ticket.

There is a small chance that if RP wins the nomination at the Republican Convention, he would possibly obtain control of the Republican Electoral College Delegates, but that is only in theory.

As we are all aware the march toward Globalism is most likely a greater motivator than party loyalty.

top topics

join