It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kawika

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Greetings fellow ATS members.

Here is a link to my blog, sort of a pictoral introduction. www.thru-hole.com...

Reading posts, gaining experience.

As a radio operator I would like to establish a routine weekly or monthly radio net where we could communicate by way of radio and continue to share information in time of emergency.

Not sure the best place to start such a thread. Welcome suggestions on where to post that. Would like to hear from other radio operators that are here.

Kawika

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Welcome brother!

It is AWESOME that you are a radio operator. I am researching short wave radio in anticipation of buying a setup next summer. Perhaps you can give me some advice on a portable setup?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Welcome.

Use the search feature and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
Cheers,
Beez

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

For a very first radio you might consider a handheld for 2 meters www.universal-radio.com... My handheld is a triband Kenwood. The TH-F6.

My first base station radio was a Yaesu FT-101B from Ebay. Had to fix the audio card before it would work. It still works great on 20 meters. www.eham.net... . Mostly using the car for radio as I am living in a small rental place now. Sometimes I take the FT-101 with me and set up on a picnic table in the back yard at Moms house in Escondido. Talked to Hawaii and Argentina operating like that with the double bazooka antenna up on the flagpole.

In the car there is a big 2 meter radio, www.universal-radio.com... There is a small antenna (fits thru a drive through) www.universal-radio.com... and then a really big one, about 8 feet tall for longer range. Have to take down one to put up the other. www.universal-radio.com... . 2 meters is for local radio, sometimes I can talk to San Diego, depends on conditions. I always listen on 146.52 and also the Chatsworth repeater.

Here is the main radio in the car. Very small, Covers a very wide range of frequencies including MF, HF, Uhf and Vhf. www.universal-radio.com... Only use it for HF most of the time as there is the big Kenwood for 2 meters.

If there is time, and a tree to thrown it up in, the double bazooka antenna is great for 20 meters. I have talked from Los Angeles to New Zealand from the car using this antenna. www.gigaparts.com...

On the car there is a ball mount for a 102 inch whip for 10 meters and also works for 11m (CB radio). Plus there are ham stick antennas for HF frequencies including 15m, 20m, 40m, and 75m. Have had some difficultly getting the 75m antenna to tune up. Looks like this media.photobucket.com...

Here is a ham stick set. www.universal-radio.com...

So there are more antennas than can be mounted at the same time. To change frequencies one comes down, one goes up.

Also have in the car a Motorola Mocat, old CB radio (11 meters). www.radiomuseum.org...
Never hear much on it, I listen on CH19.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

As I'm sure you're aware there's a little bit of everything here. That said, welcome.

top topics

join