It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackhawk Serpa holsters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Anyone use one of these for concealed carry?

Went out and picked up a Taurus PT 24/7 and decided to get one of these holsters to use for concealed carry. The thing was pretty pricey at just under $45... but I wanted a molded holster that had at least SOME retention (used to carrying IWB with a nylon holster, and those can be a pain in the ass).

This one is OWB and can either be worn on a belt, or switched to a paddle holster.

Anyways, to the point... I wore it today while out, and it was painfully obvious I was carrying, even noticeable through my sweatshirt. It was so obvious I had my ears open for Liberal screams of "HE'S GOT A GUN!". Also, the grip or the gun sags outward from my body making it even that much more obvious. It's not a problem with my belt or pants as this is the only holster I've had a problem with.

The package says it's for concealed carry, yet the holster doesn't even sit close to my body (think police officer holster, or even further off).

So... what am I doing wrong?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Nothing
It's not you mate it's the holsters
The problem with moulded holsers is this
Firstly moulded holsters are not really that low profile as you've stated the best set up I've found is with a paddle not a belt holster
Secondly but probably most importantly is the shape of the holsters - whereas leather and other materials produce a more contoured curved holster a moulded one still retains a pistols shape thus doesn't blend into the shape of your body
Hope this helps

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I use one with my G27. It's not the most concealed setup but one thing that helps is to have a stiff belt. Are you wearing a belt made for supporting a holster or just a regular leather belt?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

It's not the holster that's printing it's the gun itself. It seems to sit so high off the holster and so far off my body that you can see a perfect impression of a gun even through a baggy sweatshirt.

reply to post by MJZoo

The belt I have isn't made specifically for holsters, but I'm using a high quality leather belt. It's thick, tall, and stiff (that's what she said). I've carried a few full sized handguns on this belt without a problem, but not with a Serpa holster. I have the same outward sag problem even with the paddle.

I'd rather not return it and get an IWB holster since they can be incredibly uncomfortable. Mexican carry is more comfortable than an IWB holster

edit on 12/26/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Get a simple pancake holster, they have beenaround forever and do exactly what they say.
They make a pancake on your hip.
But all of these other names are super cool too.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I never thought the Serpa's were for concealed carry, even though that's what they advertise. I see a LOT of them in use as uniform duty holsters by variouys police agencies. The holster "cant" seems all wrong for concealed wear - but great for those times you want a place to rest your arm and lean on your gun (if you're a cop). I've used a kydex molded IWB holster for my Taurus for years, yes it can be uncomfortable, but it's been completely wearable without belts. Nowadays I wear a belly band or shoulder rig because I'm living in coveralls during the week and loungewear on the weekends - definitely not not wearing pants or belt.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Get a calf holster! (No straight leg jeans for you if you do.)
edit on 28/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

top topics

join