It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Anonymous make donations to charity using stolen credit card info?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Did Anonymous make donations to charity using stolen credit card info?

www.techspot.com

Hactivisit group Anonymous reportedly claims to have stolen 200GB worth of email and credit card data in what is being called a weeklong, Christmas-inspired attack on multiple targets...One of the victims, Alan Barr, was contacted by an AP reported to comment on the story but was unaware of the unauthorized charges to his credit card beforehand. According to Barr, all of the donations were to charities: the Red Cross, CARE and Save the Children.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Should we cheer Anonymous or should we jeer at them? I read this article and had mixed feelings about them.

-Is it ok to steal money and give it to charities?

-Is the money being stolen(insured money) actually also stolen money from an average Joe like you and myself.

One again, should we cheer and jeer at Anonymous?

I cheer with caution

www.techspot.com

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveEquation

They are clearly trying to be the modern "Robin Hoods" in this case, so they question should be, would you cheer for Robin Hood or Prince John?

Of course, this largely depend on the target, in this case i´d wager at least some of the victims here might be normal people with no hidden agenda. But then again, i would hope that Anonymous would use good judgement to only use the credit cards of those people with vast amount of credits on them, which they may believe to be "superfluous" for this purpose. They will probably all get their money back anyway, so this is more of an annoyance in the end, for them, and a hint that "we are watching you" in a "in-your-face" kind of way.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Hell no. You don't know who you are stealing from.

-Is the money being stolen(insured money) actually also stolen money from an average Joe like you and myself.

Yes it is. It bites us all in the backside.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Yeah i agree with you about public listing of names. I don't know what that is all about especially for maintenance people. However, I like the fact that they are attacking the very aspect of our system that is sort of an Achilles heel. Our monetary system that is.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It is never ok to steal money in any situation , i dont care who needs it, or for what reason.

If you take 5-10 dollars to get a meal (Stolen) ... i am more sympathetic of course. You take ONLY what you need from the outer fields.

Never ever is stealing ok unless you are literally in a life or death situation.

edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
What is to cheer? Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor is still wrong, even despite huge injustices and growing gaps between classes. It will not help - gaps will continue to grow since it is drop in the sea,lots of people will become hostile and there are always those who want to put internet under restrains so the only positive i see is that some people care enough to do something.
What they did and the results are negatives, i imagine the celebrations in the "regulated internet" camp.
Nothing to cheer about.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation

Should we cheer Anonymous or should we jeer at them? I read this article and had mixed feelings about them.

One again, should we cheer and jeer at Anonymous?

I cheer with caution

www.techspot.com

Has no one, a parent, school, or offical every explained to you the difference between right and wrong?
Can you not on your own make a moral decision? Or do you have no morals, only an allegiance to, "Tear it down, man, It's all bad?"

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
i imagine all you
"it is EVOL to steal a even a dime" people
allow yourselves to be robbed via taxes
with nary a complaint.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I sure as hell hope they did. Anonymous is the new Robin Hood. GO ANON!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
hi op

as other posts have said stealing is wrong full stop
and others mention robin hood
i still believe between right and wrong
but i also believe some situations can be justified

i read this a few yrs ago (aboot 1996)

a person hacked a a few million bank acounts over a certain period of times
the said person had taken 1pence from each account and transferd it several times
as far as i remember the money was traced but never recountable...
edit on 10/25/2011 by davesmart because: spelling

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I've never been a fan of charities. Stealing from the rich to give to the rich.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Has no one, a parent, school, or offical every explained to you the difference between right and wrong?
Can you not on your own make a moral decision? Or do you have no morals, only an allegiance to, "Tear it down, man, It's all bad?"

The concept of right and wrong isnt relative? I think stealing is a point of view.

You don't get rich by creating money out of thin air unless of course you are a government. If you are a business, you con people to give you money and convince them that they can consume your product as long as they trade in (liquidate) their assets and tie/hinge their power to choose and consume to money.

Imagine how many digital copies of a 4megabyte song will sell for. And this is only digital media and not tied to any of earths resources that actually do deplete when consumed. And you do not call this stealing or cheating.
edit on 26-12-2011 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Cyber Digital Robin Hood strikes again

at least SOMEONE donated to charity. if I could I would.
at least they didn't hoard the money for themselves to fund more ops.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

No, it's not as black and white as that. Prince Hood was a single person with wealth. Anonymous (unlike Robin Hood) could be stealing from people with just as bad a financial status. If this happened to my grandmother who eats a single slice of bread daily, yet has a credit card for emergencies, she'd lose her home she's lived in for ages, her old car that barely gets her from A to B and everything else she has.

Anonymous should be careful who they rob from, lest they end up robbing the poor themselves.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I might be wrong but all the money that they took, will be given back to them by the bank. If someone stole the money out of my bank, and they knew it was stoken, then they would have to give me the money back.

If thats the case here, then no one will lose their money. Only the company would lose the money.
edit on 26-12-2011 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This is something I have to explain to my mother a lot.

"Taking from other people and giving to charity is stealing." She's given away two complete art portfolios of mine in the past, to her friends, leaving me without a means of obtaining future work.

We don't know if the rightful owners of the cc's supported a charity, and now cannot due to stolen funds, we do not know if the victims of the theft were one payment away from foreclosure.
The 99%, in this case, could have ended up very badly hurting someone they are purporting to help.
I don't want any rationalization of justification about it.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

"like superman 3"
Office space.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

she would not be held accountable and they would Not take all her things. I do see if it was stealing from her directly THAT's ONE THING. but they are stealing from the credit card companies, not directly from the average joe.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
I might be wrong but all the money that they took, will be given back to them by the bank. If someone stole the money out of my bank, and they knew it was stoken, then they would have to give me the money back.

If thats the case here, then no one will lose their money. Only the company would lose the money.
edit on 26-12-2011 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

Now the question that remains is:

where do the banks get the money to replace the money that was stolen from your account? Do they just login into your account and edit your credit balance like you can edit it in Excel document? Or do they get the money from the federal reserve bank?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join