It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jewish, Muslim volunteers join forces to help out on Christmas

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Ari Goldberg filled Styrofoam cup after Styrofoam cup with lemonade from a giant jug cooler in soup kitchen at the St. Leo Catholic Church's on Detroit's west side on Christmas morning. The 13-year-old West Bloomfield resident was one of about two dozen volunteers from the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit who helped prepare and serve a festive holiday meal to less-fortunate people. It was part of the organization's annual Mitzvah Day program, the largest single day of volunteering by the region's Jewish community, which enables Christians to spend the holiday at home with their loved ones, according to the Federation. This year, for the third time, an estimated 1,000 Jewish volunteers joined forces with their Muslim neighbors "Mitzvah" means "good deed" or "commandment" in Hebrew.

I really liked this story. Jews and Muslims gathering at a Catholic church so that Christian volunteers could take the day to be with family. It would be nice if the world always worked this way wouldn't it?

Link

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What an excellent story.

I love to hear good news of people coming together like this.
World Peace one good deed at a time.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I thought Christmas couldn't be better, but this is the cherry on the cake.
Fills me with hope.
Thank you for posting this.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Ari Goldberg filled Styrofoam cup after Styrofoam cup with lemonade from a giant jug cooler in soup kitchen at the St. Leo Catholic Church's on Detroit's west side on Christmas morning. The 13-year-old West Bloomfield resident was one of about two dozen volunteers from the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit who helped prepare and serve a festive holiday meal to less-fortunate people. It was part of the organization's annual Mitzvah Day program, the largest single day of volunteering by the region's Jewish community, which enables Christians to spend the holiday at home with their loved ones, according to the Federation. This year, for the third time, an estimated 1,000 Jewish volunteers joined forces with their Muslim neighbors "Mitzvah" means "good deed" or "commandment" in Hebrew.

I really liked this story. Jews and Muslims gathering at a Catholic church so that Christian volunteers could take the day to be with family. It would be nice if the world always worked this way wouldn't it?

Link

Yes it would.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yes but governments need hate. Without hate there is no fear and without fear, there is no control.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
What a wonderful story. I hope it's true & this is what the 2012 prophecy meant by change.
Love & Peace & Co-operation & Understanding
Thanks OP

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Starred and flagged, proof positive that various religions can coexist. As I've said before, "religion isn't the problem, people are". With the wrong people, you get bad deeds in the name of religion. With good people, you get good deeds.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Same.. This came about a few years back when their normal day of helping out fell on a Jewish High Holiday. Instead of canceling or changing the day, the Muslims in the community got together and decided to help out by volunteering on the day of the high holiday. Since then, from what I see in the media and hear from friends who live in that part of the metro area it has become a joint cause and has helped move the pros of each religion instead of the cons to the front.

win win in my book and as a member of a faith not represented in the article my hats off to all involved for putting people first and pointing out there is a lot more that binds us all together than separates us.

These types of news stories are good and thank you for posting it Domo.
edit on 26-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

That really is great to hear. I like what you say about the good aspects of the religions being highlighted instead of the bad.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Great to see a story like this.

What a pity that it doesn't get the same amount of attention as negative stories do.

It's always puzzled me how much more eager people are to see negative than positive.

Hate distorts...

Either way thank you for sharing this story with us.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
i thought the mainstream media told us that jews and muslims are offended by Christmas and we must avoid the term like the bubonic plague in public.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i thought the mainstream media told us that jews and muslims are offended by Christmas and we must avoid the term like the bubonic plague in public.

That's why I avoid main-stream 'news'. News these days is
as real as a jerry spinger show.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Very true. It's so much easier to just ignore them.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

No certain elements of media , owned and controlled by rich powerful individuals, wish to distract you from the truth so they can carry on squeezing every last penny out of us so they can get richer. They do this by cherry picking stories that get people all agitated and angry and thus vent their anger at ANYBODY EXCEPT THEM !!! Hence anti christmas muslims, benefit cheats etc.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Nice!! Refreshing to hear about these kinds of genuine stories flying in the face of all the wedges the MSM tries to pound between us all. People are people no matter their cultural differences. They want peace, happiness and stability and they want the best for their families. Plain and simple. Nice to see the conspiracy of love and concern for your fellow humans being exposed.
Thanks for this,

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Beautiful story, thank-you for sharing. These are the stories we need to focus on. As important as economic collapse, wars, local tragedies etc...are to know about maybe there would be less of them if stories like this were taken bigger notice of. I hope it's a sign of more to come. We should never let anothers religion offend our own, we should have enough faith in our own God's that God can handle it. I used to be Christian and it never would have offended to me to pray next to a muslim or jewish person praying. I don't understand why this would ever offend anyone.

Often we hear stories of "whitewashing" eliminating language and prayer in social settings (schools most notably), why? Don't eliminate our differences, celebrate them or at least respect them. I am thankful for people such as in this story. We can get along without walking on eggshells around eachother.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

An Interesting challenge.. I wonder if we could persuade Abovetopsecret to create a new forum that deals solely with positive news, regardless of where it comes from? Our own little corner of the world where the Main Stream Media can whine and cry all they want and can still get their gloom and doom ignored for the positive stories?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I would really like to see a good news forum. Perhaps you could suggest it, I'll flag that thread.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Actually I alerted this thread to the mods so they can see what we were talking about. Its only a matter of time for them to discuss and see if its something that works with their views / goals of this site. Feel free to do the same if you want.

@ Kali
I never understood the war on religion we seem o be having with it in our society. The term separation of religion and government is nowhere found in the Constitution.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The term separation of Church and State comes from Jefferson and the US Supreme Court in some of its rulings. The intent was to avoid the establishment of a National religion, like the Church of England. It was never intended to remove Church from everything we do, just as it was never intended to enforce an atheist style viewpoint on everything we do.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

join