It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2012 !

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I was speaking to Eric as he should have been looking at his own thread where I had posted a video.

Unfortunately it has been masses of rain and cloud around Popo most of the time. It did clear briefly yesterday:

It is not doing much really.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

It seems that Katla volcano is warming up for a eruption. As I did mention in last blog post. But there is more to this. As the glacier flood that started on the 28. April 2012 continues according to a email that I got from an geologist working at Iceland Meteorological Office. But that suggests two things.
That there is currently an ongoing melting of glacier taking place in Katla volcano, or there is a slow drainage taking place from some area in Mýrdalsjökull glacier. But given increased conductivity following this it is clear that this water has been in contact with magma. But that can be seen with the increased conductivity in the water. There have not been many earthquakes following this events.
But from the earthquakes that have happened. It seems that most likely source for current events is close to or the same area that erupted in July 2011. But at the moment this is just speculation based on limited data. It has not been confirmed so far.

www.jonfr.com...

en.vedur.is...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Another Icelandic volcano, Mt. Herðubreið is showing activity. All started yesterday when 3.4 magnitude earthquake hit the region. After that seismic activity has increased and there has been 8 over magnitude 2 earthquakes. This volcano erupted last time during last ice age. Askja volcano nearby has also showed some activity, but activity peak was around winter and it has calmed down.

Mt. Herðubreið is rare volcano type, called tuya. This volcano has very steep edges and it has flat top, result of under glacier eruption.

en.wikipedia.org...
hraun.vedur.is...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Tungurahua Volcano in Ecuador is having another go today.
Link to the current spectrogram
Here is the link to the seismograms

You can just see ash above the weather clouds. (top right of thumbnail--taken at 18:31UTC)

And stateside, a cool cluster of tiny pops from Mammoth Lakes, CA (Long Valley caldera area)
[It's the bottom row--just ignore the top 2 lines
]

edit on 5/18/2012 by Olivine because: my garbled mess needed fixing

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

hell it could be
someone with a bad spark-plug in there lawn mower,,
unless you corralate the freq. amplitude too a known frequency signiture,, that matchs a known,, set of ,,ya,,

i think its a bad spark-plug wire.
somewhere.

me.

no a lawn mower would be silly,,,mamoth lakes? more likely a speed boat.

Me
edit on 18-5-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

The row of pops are of course jets

You can tell immediately by the signature

By the way the wind had dropped at Santorini but the seismos still quiver.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

H is sonic bursts or artillery shells.

I was looking to make sure I can differentiate signatures. Popo has tremor.

Now I figured I might find tremor in Alaska, so I think I found some, so if Puterman wants to venture in and give his opinion. I thought today's earlier action in Santorini was tremor. Heck, I'm watching real close as the moon goes round to see what's what.

The moon just passed Hawaii, and if I were up there I could still see a peak. We'd be heading over Japan. Hawaii has been active as has Japan in the last hours.

Popo was showing tremor earlier and coincidentally the moon was looking down at Mexico.

Weather is obsuring observation of Popo most of the time. Rain is almost contstant and there's been snow.

Today a camera operator was scan the volcano and showing erosion and small slides.

So, the slopes are unstable. And Popo is hot. Here's some of the shots from tonight.

www.staradvertiser.com...

www.ouramazingplanet.com...

www.ouramazingplanet.com...

www.scientificcomputing.com...

www.sciencedaily.com...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 18-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
9 May-15 May 2012

CENAPRED reported that during 8-10 May multiple gas-and-ash plumes rose 1.5 km above Popocatépetl's crater and drifted NE. Incandescent fragments ejected from the crater landed on the N and E flanks as far as 500 m away. According to a news article an airport in Puebla was closed due to ash plumes on 8 and 10 May. Seismicity increased on 11 May. Ash plumes rose 3 km above the crater and drifted NE and incandescent fragments ejected from the crater rolled 1 km down the flanks. Gas-and-ash plumes rose 2.5 km and drifted ENE. On 12 May gas-and-ash plumes rose 4 km above the crater. Incandescent tephra was ejected 2 km above the crater and again rolled 1 km down the flanks. Ashfall was reported in most municipalities within the state of Tlaxcala (50 km NE of the volcano), in addition to smaller towns nearer to the volcano such as Santiago Xalitzintla (15 km NE) and San Nicolás de los Ranchos (16 km ENE). An airport in Puebla was again closed due to ash. During 13-15 May gas-and-ash plumes rose from the crater and drifted NE, and incandescent tephra was ejected from the crater. The Alert Level remained at Yellow Phase Three.

Sources: Centro Nacional de Prevencion de Desastres (CENAPRED),

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Thank you so much Puterman. I love that there are such knowledgeable people as yourself on this board. It makes my learning so much faster.

EricBlair, really nice captures of Popo. And thanks for the diagram of signals: I'll add it to my collection and study it.

....lawn mower or motor boat, bah!

ETA: Regarding the sonic blasts from a jet/jets, and since this is a conspiracy forum; I wonder if they were from Groom Lake? It's not too far away.
edit on 5/19/2012 by Olivine because: hehehehe

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
What's that at the bottom?

www2.ssn.unam.mx...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Not waiting to exhale. Popo has something caught in its throat. It was venting a continuous line of steam. Now it is variable and unpredictable. These are shots from the same exhalations from different camera angles.

And some more exhalations...

edit on 21-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

Beautiful and clear pictures there Eric. Thank you for capturing them for us.

All that ash is starting to make Popo look like a scene from The Road.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
5/24/2012 -- Large Explosive eruption at Sakurajima Volcano - South Japan

www.youtube.com...

wow.

and those crazy car drivers are back,,,must be a sport of some sort,,big eruption,,lets go driving,,,lol
u think?

lol

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Costa Rica's Turrialba volcano, situated east of San Jose, spews smoke and ash. The country's National Seismology Network has raised an alert for the volcano to yellow, indicating an imminent eruption. According to seismologists, there has been movement inside the volcano and an increase in the crater's temperature. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SEISMOLOGIST LEPOLT LINKEMER, SAYING: "We have instruments in the Turrialba volcano and with them we are analysing seismic signals the volcano is emitting. The volcano has presented certain events which has led to suspicions (of an eruption) such as the movement of fluids inside the volcano so as a preventative measure take into account these signals. We have changed the alert level colour to yellow. In recent days we have noticed important changes in constant ash (discharge)." The last registered eruption from the volcano was in January 2010, necessitating the evacuation of two nearby villages. Sarah Sheffer, Reuters
Reuters

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Damn weather. Popo's webcam was clear as new tremor started and as a large ash columnn began. The column was reaching as high as 4km. Then I lost sight of it.

I got some shots before the clouds came in. I am certain that soon I'm going to catch a phreatic explosion. Or, it will happen under a cloud of clouds. Damn. The same thing that makes me sure that there will be a big eruption, is the same thing that obsuring my view of that big eruption. Weather. What do you talk about more? nothing

The closer webcam has still got a picture. And it looks like this exhalation is over for the time being anyways.

edit on 25-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Eric, I'm thoroughly enjoying your updates on Popo--thanks!

Is Mt. Rainier becoming a bit active in the past few hours? This past 24hr seismo from Fremont station looks wonky.
And there seem to be a few microquakes showing on the Camp Muir seismo. Only ice quakes?

In any event, the volcano looks lovely on th e NPS webcam this morning.

edit on 5/26/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

BTW, the winds are calm, and the Camp Shurman station seems to be experiencing technical difficulties.
edit on 5/26/2012 by Olivine because: to add a 'BTW'

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I don't want to say what I think about Mt Rainier. Because I don't know. I am now just being to get used to Popo's siemo. I really only like commenting when I think I'm right. I could tell you what's what on Yellowstone's webicorders, and I've watched the mid-west closely. But when I tried to first watch Popo, I tried to watch Alaska to get a reference point. I couldn't. I guess you need to watch and investigate to figure out each place's unique signatures. I mean you pulled in sonic booms or something one day. You never know. That's why I have a hard time figuring out Santorini. I'm watching it now. But heck, who can figure out what's a giant cruise ship or tremor on a noisy tourist's island.

You should post on Quake Watch and ask Puterman, or John Vidale, or track down Westcoast. Westcoast has many threads on the Northwest. I figure I can't watch everything. So I watch what I think is out of the normal and then watch for what I've predicted. Here at Popo, I think we'll see a phertic (what a stupid name) explosion. I want to catch it. The key here in Mexico is water. They've been getting too much. A hurricane was blowing through Mexico recently. The country seems cursed at the moment. I don't believe in such things. I just think coincidence happens so often, it just has to be taken as usual, as things are not as unique as we think.

Underneath the country of Mexico is soft limestone and sediments. The City itself is sinking because they've drawn off so much water over the years. There are huge caves and sinkholes in Mexico and Central America. And since you have vulcanism in the area as well, you have lava tubes and old magma cambers. This mix of fire and ice will not be content to act as a big gentle geysers forever. Sooner or later, there will be an breech, a mixture, a steam explosion (phreteci) and then a sudden release of gases. An eruption. I think Popo will have a major eruption. I am hoping to catch it. I like capturing the pictures. It's like hunting and I don't have to shoot an animal. Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm a meat eater and I like it blood rare. (i tangent)

But first I must know when to expect something. I bit my tongue when the moon passed the sun. Or was that vise-versa. I have know begun to see patterns in Popos activity. It is not exactly regular, but on the other hand, it is not completely erratic. It almost seems to like to vent in the mornings. And after the sun goes down. This hasn't been a rule, but it has happened several times. Like now for instance. It's morning. Thankfully the skies are kinda clear, and Popo has had a tremor and some serious venting. I think I see another tremor coming but not sure. The tremors seems regular and last about an hour and a half on average.

Maybe I'm just nuttier than I know. I just now realize that my obsessions are not random. First it was Yellowstone, then it was Arkansas and now it's Popo. Like a reporter I follow the leads and go where they take me. I am a loopy bloodhound on a trail. The trail is not volcanoes or earthquakes, and that's where I think I get confused and miss the point. I am not following the "money", I'm following the water. In each case, the real catalyst is water. H2O.

Yellowstone Lake 08/09 (fluid movement)
Yellowstone West 2010 (Fluid movement)
Arkansas Waste Water Injection
Popo venting steam

Water is the key ingredient.

That giant earthquake in Japan did not kill thousands of people. The moving water did.

Oh, do you know who "Muir" is? he was an anwer in my crossword yesterday.
And up on mountains in spring, you can get ice cracking as it thaws and melts. I think Yellowstone Lake has ice quakes. This also something to look for.

I'll post recent shot of Popo and it's siesmo.

Just an observation that may change. At the moment, the last tremor was only about an hour. You may notice that after the main body of tremor stops for about fourty minutes, there is a bigger burst that stops suddenly. As if the first venting wasnt' enough and there was still some gunk left in Popo's throat to clear. If the tremor starts back up for a longer period, then I may be wrong on the whole hour and a half thing.

I'm really going to learn how to photoshop one day. Because if I could, I could put a circle on the burst at about 08:50ish after the big long tremor. I'm thinking about it kinda like that last hairball the cat coughed up. Sorry.

I can't believe how most people became bored of Popo after the initial "scare" alert level change. I think it's amazing to just watch it. It's a time machine. You can sit back and watch atmosphere being born. Sure, there's some CO2 in there. But look at all that steam. That's water. H20. This volcano is breath refreshed air back into our dirty enviroment. Ya, forget the ash. No, don't. It creates wonderfully fertile lands. That's enough for me.

I think Popo's done purring this morning.

edit on 27-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Here's a map of the volcanically active locations in Iceland right now ;

There haven't been any eruptions this year yet but something is definitely going on.

The area we're focusing on now is in the lower left hand corner of the map ,
called "Krýsuvík". This area is highly unstable and very close to the Capital city of Iceland.

In the last few days there has been somewhat more coverage of the area after some
stirring activity occured. The surface has been rising and lowering ,indicating the possibility
of a near future erruption. It has been predicted that there will be an eruption there ,but
no one knows yet when that might occur. Geologists are monitoring the site very closely.

Source links:
www.ruv.is...
www.ruv.is...
www.ruv.is...

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

I was just thinking of Iceland yesterday. There's a good doc on You Tube about the last eruption. And others...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 28-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

I would think that recent activity is due to the recent burst of sunspots and solar wind within the last two weeks.
just a crazy theory

Oh and how weird it is that in wisconsin we have had crazy warm weather.. its may and yesterday and today it was in the upper 90s..
to me there seems to be a connection more sunspots, and flares= a warming core= expanding magma
edit on 28-5-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join