It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2012 !

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Anak Krakatau volcano (Indonesia): growing lava dome

An active lava dome is growing inside the summit crater of Krakatau volcano. Our tour expedition leader Andi just returned from a visit and reports that the dome is now about 100 m wide, and has 2 main active vents that eject jets of incandescent gas.

At night, the glow from the dome is clearly visible from Rakata and Sertung islands, and a continuous intense solfatara plume is rising about 500 m above the summit.
Andi and our group observed also that there are now more and larger fumarole fields on the southern part of the cone.
According to our observations and the opinion of local scientists, this area is inflated due to the pushing of the lava dome. The seismic recordings from the observatory of Krakatau also show an increase in activity. On 26 March, there were 138 volcanic-tectonic (A-type) earthquakes and 300 long-period (B-type) quakes alone. The question is how long the lava dome remains quiet and purely effusive in style. Explosive, also larger vulcanian-type ones, activity could occur any time.
source(www.volcanodiscovery.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Alert level raised for remote Alaska volcano

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The alert level for a remote Alaska volcano has been raised again after scientists found another lava dome has formed in the crater in the last week.

The Alaska Volcano Observatory on Wednesday increased the level for Cleveland Volcano, a 5,675-foot peak on uninhabited Chuginadak Island about 940 miles southwest of Anchorage. The status was raised earlier this year when the center detected two small, likely ash-poor eruptions through March 13, but lowered the alert level last week after 10 days of inactivity.

Scientists can't actively monitor the volcano because there is no real-time seismic monitoring network on the volcano in the Aleutian Islands. Authorities say sudden eruptions could occur at any time, and ash clouds 20,000 feet above sea level are possible.
source(www.sandiego6.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Montserrat volcano active again
St. John’s Antigua- For the first time in two years, the Montserrat Volcano Observatory (MVO) monitoring the Soufriere Hills volcano noted unusual activity, with increased seismicity, accompanied by ash fall.

Acting Director of MVO Roderick Stuart said the change, which was noted on Friday, is a break from a long state of pause, thus a reminder the volcano is still very active and residents there must always be cautious and aware.
Stuart reported, “Last Friday we had the first sort of activity in the volcano in over two years. It generated some ash and because it was the first activity we had in two years, it was almost a precautionary measure that we closed daytime access to Zone C just in case this activity started something bigger,” Stuart told
Antiguaobserver

Volcano active in Eastern Caribbean, I haven't seen volcanoes going active there for a long time. This volcano seems to be fairly quiet, but in 1997 its eruption killed 19 people and buried part of island with ashfall, resulting to abandon its capital, Plymouth.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

hav done extensive carib island hopping but somehow still missed monserrat, yt video footage looks awesome though in the interim - mont has gotten very, very active!

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Red alert issued for region near Colombia’s Nevado del Ruiz volcano
Posted on April 9, 2012 by The Extinction Protocol
April 9, 2012 – BOGOTA - Colombia on Sunday issued a warning for areas crossed by rivers that pass through the Nevado del Ruiz volcano area, amid heavy rains and concern that an eruption could be in the works. Authorities issued a ‘red alert’ for rivers near the volcano in Caldas and Tolima departments ‘due to the change in the eruption threat and to heavy rains in the area,’ the national weather and environmental institute (IDEAM) said. The volcano has been rumbling at a greater rate in recent days; its alert level was boosted on March 31. On Saturday, the volcano’s activity was still unstable and it was emitting more gases, the National Geological Service said. –Strait News
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
2012-04-12 00:55:12 2.6 15 Km
2012-04-03 03:59:19 2.7 8 Km

Innnntttterestink,,
in my best ARTY JOHNSON ,ya im that old,,

9 days,,all was quiet,,sireign,,even,,

the waky,,waky,, from down below,,

This is the one that scares me personally,,
has an interesting history,,

so my question ,,what happened ,at area X
traveling at the speed of lets say,,
sonic wavelength,,at a high enough frequency,
to shatter
a hardening volvanic rock-plug
of a newly formed,,gateway?
and arrive at close too,,
2012-04-12 00:55:12

Any profs out there??

And TZavros,, at the ETNA site would love too here your opinion,, that guy is a hell of a Vulcanoligist,,

bang and for ETNA again,, and sorry if i get your name wrong,, Ps,, hows Silo? with her national geographic award winning pictures of the eruption of ETNA??

outstand, and hats off too both of them,, but i wander away, from the main topic,, my apoligies,,

Me

opps sorry that;s the stats for,,,,Santorini,,its in Italy,,home of Etna,,
Whom i also personaly believe is a Male Volcano,,,,lol sorry Silo,,,

edit on 12-4-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
2012-04-12 00:55:12 2.6 15 Km
2012-04-03 03:59:19 2.7 8 Km

Innnntttterestink,,
in my best ARTY JOHNSON ,ya im that old,,

9 days,,all was quiet,,sireign,,even,,

the waky,,waky,, from down below,,

This is the one that scares me personally,,
has an interesting history,,

so my question ,,what happened ,at area X
traveling at the speed of lets say,,
sonic wavelength,,at a high enough frequency,
to shatter
a hardening volvanic rock-plug
of a newly formed,,gateway?
and arrive at close too,,
2012-04-12 00:55:12

Any profs out there??

And TZavros,, at the ETNA site would love too here your opinion,, that gut is a hell of a Vulcanoligist,,

bang and for ETNA again,, and sorry if i get your name wrong,, Ps,, hows Silo? with her national geographic award winning pictures of the eruption of ETNA??

outstand, and hats off too both of them,, but i wander away, from the main topic,, my apoligies,,

Me

opps sorry that;s the stats for,,,,Santorini,,its in Italy,,home of Etna,,
Whom i also personaly believe is a Male Volcano,,,,lol sorry Silo,,,

What?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

VEI Index: 7
Name: Santorini Volcano
Volcano ID: 0102-04=
Diameter:
Last Eruption: 1927

is active again ,,

this one scares me,, more tha Katla,,for instance,,or Clevland,, not so much,,

Yellowstone is qiuet,,
but the one in Mexico,, which caused the huge RiftShield Flow, well thats active again as well,

but of all the Volcanoes,, now considered "active" a "caution, watch",,,in place,,within in the last lets say 6-9 months,,

VEI Index: 7
Name: Santorini Volcano
Volcano ID: 0102-04=
Diameter:
Last Eruption: 1927

scares me the most.

Me.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Hi, Thank for the praise, I'm not a Vulcanoligist though, Etna's engineer. I am trying to look at some of the other volcanos in this area at the moment as there is a lot of ground activity. Even after yesterday's eruption there had been an earthquake in Sicily this morning. This is much larger than her usual, relax after an eruption quake. I need to get my books out again and study a little more.

Magnitude: 4.7

Time: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 07:21:35 GMT+01:00
GMT: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 06:21:35 GMT

Latitude: 38° 11' 23" N (38.1900°)
Longitude: 13° 18' 36" E (13.3100°)
Depth: 20.0 km

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

Your more than welcome,,apologize for mispelling your name eirlier,,

ah yes
back too "Volcano Watch" PROF. Tzavros,,

by the way i forgot one in my above list,,

also well know for its more recent,,,rumbling,,,well not that recent,,

09.04.2012 05:51 PM Sunda Strait, Indonesia Anak Krakatoa Volcano Volcano Eruption 0602-00= Caldera 2009

this might help in filling in the pattern.

Me.
and its 5:03 A.M here in Canada,, Nova Scotia,, Cape Breton,,on the Atlantic,,

had a 4.5 in Yarmouth,, not far from here,,the other day,,
unusual.

sorry,,,drifting,,,forgive me,,,lol

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Friday, 13th April 2012 at 08:21 PM
Local Date/Time: Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 13:21 in the afternoon at epicenter
Coordinate: 46° 55.338, 121° 58.680
Depth: 3.20 km (1.99 miles)
Hypocentrum: Shallow depth
Class: Micro
Region: North America
Location: 9.43 km (5.86 miles) S of Upper Fairfax, Washington, United States

damn.

me.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
what do the following have in common,,,

14.04.2012 22:11 PM Vanuatu Islands 6.6

11.04.2012 13:18 PM Coast Of Northern Sumatra 8.7

15.01.2012 13:50 PM South Shetland Islands 6.7

Thats right,,, there all known for Volcananic,,,
outbursts.

And i haven't even mentioned,,half dozen others,,

So the correct answer is,,

8.7 Sumatra,,,The Great Sumatran fault,

a strike-slip fault*,

runs the entire length of the island along its west coast.

Vanuatu Islands 6.6

Ambrym is a large basaltic volcano with a 12-km-wide caldera, and one of the most active volcanoes of the New Hebrides volcanic arc.

South Shetland Islands 6.7
is the remnants of a much larger volcanic edifice that is now largely submerged.

quake watch,,naw,,we need everyone of u at,,
Volcano Watchers Thread,,,

14.04.2012,,tick tock,,,

*intersesting

Me.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I have answered your entry over on EQ 2012 with the following....

"Bob, although I am no professional, I totally agree with you.

I was coming on here this morning to ask/say, that some have been asking why south America has been relatively eq free during the recent flurry. They seem to have affected all down the western seabord side from Alaska down to Mexico/Gulf......and then nada, zip, dim. I was going to ask the question is it not because South America is experiencing its own kind of 'pressure release' with quite a few major volcanoes venting right now?

I am no longer asking the question, I am going with my gut instinct, which I have said here a few times...there is more to these eq's around Indonesia, especially the 'double whammie'.....it's the magma we should be looking at, its way down and on its way up...Indo/Philipine will give/start the next super major event which will effect us worldwide.

There are times in our history, where what we accepted to be fact, measurable evidence, where something comes from left field to send us back to the drawing board and re-work the math. The Indo/Sumatra 'double whammie' was a heads up.

Rainbows
Jane "

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
13 April,
During an overflight on 13 April, an explosion from Sangay volcano was observed at 08:25 local time. It generated an ash and steam column of 2 km above the summit crater. A new vent was detected, both on visible and thermal images, located next to the active dome on the SE flank (Ñuñurqu). The activity in this area has intensified since October, when the last aerial survey had taken place. Extensive lava flows are descending on the SE flank of the dome and reaching the base of the cone. Strong fumarolic activity was seen on the SE flank of the dome and on the S flank of the central crater.

13 April,
Giant Wave Impact
in Ghana
08:25 AM
explosion from Sangay volcano
------------

edit on 16-4-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

cinder cones 2121 m / 6,959 ft
California, Canada and USA (mainland), 38°N / -119.03°W
Current status: dormant (1 out of 5)
[show map]
[hide map] [enlarge map]
Typical eruption style: Explosive
Mono Lake volcano eruptions: 1890 (?), 1790 ± 75, 1550 ± 300, 1150 ± 200, 350 AD

Time to update their,,,,Current status: dormant (1 out of 5).

It is Volcano Thread right??

and for those interested in volcanoligy,,
or ,,
have nothing better too do,,,read below.

ohhh there was an earthquake there.
micro
shallow,
mag. 2.5???,,,not sure,,
but as this is Volcano's,,or VOLCANOLIGY
but as us non prof. say, (me)
,"things that go boom,"
,ahhhh,
Booooom,
"ohhh",,,
BOOM!,,,
ahhh
ohhhh,,,,,
ohhh

ohhhh?
no,,,,, ahhh ohhhh,,
,ohhh ohhh mean RUN.!),,,and check for,,,typified by a smooth, billowy or ropy surface.

ohhh and

Pahoehoe A Hawaiian term for basaltic lava flows typified by a smooth, billowy or ropy surface.

Me.

edit on 18-4-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Go here to see LIVE webcam from the Mt. Popo volcano:

www.cenapred.unam.mx...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Popo,,,

ohhh ohhh?

Popo ohhh ohhh,,,ohhhhhhhh

run?

no,,no, hope so,,Popo,

Me.
lol,,see above post.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Volcán Popocatépetl

fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...

www.cenapred.unam.mx...

For all you volcano watchers out there

Caught this a bit ago.

M.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet

Volcán Popocatépetl

fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...

www.cenapred.unam.mx...

For all you volcano watchers out there

Caught this a bit ago.

M.

This Volcano going off makes me reference an old book from the American Journal of Science in 1825.

My area is the New Madrid. Things may heat up if this thing erupts... thoughts?

Read the entire chapter on "Earthquakes and their causes and effects". It begins on page 209 and here is the link below..

books.google.com... 6gzYiJeMV0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bbiST5z1DZHk6QHT0qWFBA&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Popocatepetl%20and%20new%20madrid%20related&f=false

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Tungurahua volcano in Ecuador ("Throat of fire" in the native language) had a nice little go in the past few hours.

Here is the Tungurahua wiki

The link to online helicorders from the Instituto Geofisica Ecuador.

And here is a webcam link located 13 Km north of the crater. (Either it is a few days behind, or the date shown is incorrect, or my compy just won't update the image--ugh)

Image courtesy of webcam link above
From 14:11:41 UTC on 17April 2012
edit on 4/22/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

Just wanted to add this notice from the Ecuador Geophysical Institute:

April 22, 2012

At 08: 02 (local time) today, 22 April, seismic sensors of the Tungurahua volcano reported an explosion followed by a signal of tremor of emission of high energy, which is maintained until the closure of this bulletin.

The explosion produced a Cannonball of moderate intensity and noise associated roll of blocks by the flanks of the volcano. Due to the presence of cloud not been observations. From 08: 23 (local time) received reports of gravel (slag) of the size of rice grains fall in the population of Pillates, located to the West of the volcano. From that same time, reports also the almost constant generation of bellows of moderate intensity.

Source (link is in Spanish--external quote is via Bing translator)

edit on 4/22/2012 by Olivine because: add news source

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join