It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2012 !

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
The race is on, which is going to blow first, Yellowstone or this one in Germany.......bets anyone?

neither! Try Indonesia/Philipines supervolc first!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

Sort of an ALERT:
hisz.rsoe.hu...
Who knows if this will lead to an eruption or not.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I just thought of something, yellowstone has been acting funky, some agree some don't, anyhoo, what if this germany volcano is a fake lie to distract the smart ones who actually know how to understand seismographs away from yellowstone?, eh eh?? Ok I will stop.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There is one volcano in Aleutians that could disturb air traffic in US. Mount Cleveland exploded on 29th of December, sending ash cloud towards east, right to the mainland. Volcano status was raised for a while, but now its back to Yellow.

No one is sure is volcano still sending ash plume, since its very distant place and clouds usually block satellite views.

Mount Cleveland is very symmetrical stratovolcano, and volcanologists have no clue about its past. No one is sure how strong it has erupted in past. It has erupted multiple times after 1828. There could be possible eruption that happened in 1774, but not confirmed. In 2010 it erupted 1-2 times and started another eruption at end of 2011.

Katla is one candidate for eruption in 2011. Even though its activity has decreased, its still threat.

There is also volcano mystery happening in Bolivia. Uturuncu volcano has been rapidly inflating at unbelievable speed, at 2 cm in year. It is believed that it erupted last time 300 000 years ago, and it could be supervolcano. Whole region has been volcanic since then. Its also believed that it had super explosion during Pleistocene era around 2,6 million - 11,700 years ago.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Since the only source for the german "super volcano" is the daily mail, I don't really but it

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here we go again.

The German Volcano "Laacher See" is NOT a super volcano.

For a volcano to be a Super Volcano it has to be able to produce a VEI 8 eruption and that's not the case for the Laacher See. A VEI 6 is possible (more than 10km3 ejected tefra) but that's it.

There are no signs at all that an eruption is going to happen anytime soon there.
There are no "known" Super Volcanos around here. I live in Luxembourg quite close to the Eifel Volcanic field.

For the Bolivian stuff that's something to keep an eye on. It's believed that their could be a Super Volcano nest in the Andes as very old caldera's from Super Eruptions have been found (eruptions between 1500 and 2000 km3 of tefra) a very very long time ago.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It seems that newspapers never get tired of Katla. Business Insider is now fearmongering about its eruption very soon.
articles.businessinsider.com...

As you can see here, Katla is not yet ready to erupt. Pretty sure it won't erupt before summer. There isn't harmonics visible in seismograph, just few bounces and they could come from weather.
hraun.vedur.is...

There are also some other Icelanding volcanoes that can easily erupt soon. Energy companies are playing with fire at Hengill volcano, doing fracking to get more energy. Hengill volcano is scary one, and its very close to Reykjavik. Its very large volcano, covers area of 100 km2. It erupted last time around year 1000. On 23. September 2011 Hengill had quake swarm of over 400 quakes, strongest was magnitude 3,4. Franking around old volcano is not very wise.
www.jonfr.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Weekly update of the US volcanos ...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

all volcano are currently at level GREEN... but who knows things change...

and on a Global scale

www.volcano.si.edu...

CALLAQUI Central Chile 37.92°S, 71.45°W; summit elev. 3164 m Based on a pilot observation, the Buenos Aires VAAC reported that the top of an ash plume from Callaqui was at 3 km (10,000 ft) a.s.l. on 2 January. Ash was not detected in satellite imagery under clear skies.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
There is 4 volcanoes erupting or going to erupt in Southeast Asia currently.
- Pagan
- Mount Gamalama, Island of Ternate
- Lewotolo Volcano
- Mount Ijen

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I was looking for some pics of the newest eruption, but I didn't see any, so I found this: photoblog.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
its my thread and i post what i want to , post what i want to, you would post what you wanted to if it was your thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.msnbc.msn.com...

we have it on the highest authurity that there will be NO SUPER ERUPTION IN OUR LIFE TIME...... and we can thank Msn news for this piece of vital information ....

There has only been only one super-eruption" in more than 100,000 years, so odds are minuscule for either near-future or within our lifetime," Shindell told OurAmazingPlanet.
In any case, the ancient Maya never predicted a supervolcano eruption in 2012 to begin with.

lol . ( as if modern man knows this for a fact . maybe they time traveled ...)

in a way their right , but then again maybe by some off chance their wrong . at this point all we can do is wait , watch and see ...::
edit on 13/1/12 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
here it is folks the weekly update from the global volcanism program.....

www.volcano.si.edu...

ETNA Sicily (Italy) 37.734°N, 15.004°E; summit elev. 3330 m Sezione di Catania - Osservatorio Etneo reported that on the night of 4 January the New SE Crater (New SEC) of Etna entered another paroxysmal eruption episode after about 50 days of quiescence. Several hours of Strombolian activity were observed on the SE and NE slopes starting at 2230 on 4 January. This activity continued into the early morning of 5 January when (around 0200) a small lava flow spread out into several branches at the SE base of the cone. Strombolian activity increased around 0400, generating lava fountains, from several vents within the crater that rose 100-150 m above the crater.

quicky question ! we all know that Mt etna is a on going eruption.. so why is it that she is listed at new unrest\volcanic activity ?

with that being said ..... enjoy this weeks update ..

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
For Sakurajima watchers,

I posted this in December to my Thread re "Sakurajima's smoking at the summit!" but I don't think anyone saw it.

Mt. Sakurajima breaks record with 897th explosive eruption

December 9, 2011

Mt. Sakurajima, an active volcano in Kagoshima Prefecture, explosively erupted late Thursday for the 897th time this year, breaking its annual record for the third consecutive year, the local observatory said.

The latest eruption was observed at the 800-meter-high Showa crater, which has erupted 895 times this year. It has been a frequent site of activity since 2008, after erupting in June 2006 for the first time in 58 years.

That's like 2.5 times a day

mdn.mainichi.jp...

Here is an excellent link with everything you need to know about Sakurajima
www.photovolcanica.com...

Be sure to scroll down about halfway to see Animation of shockwave at Sakurajima Showa Crater, Dec. 2009

Controlled cam
webcam-svo2.pr.kyoto-u.ac.jp...

Cam view from Tarumizu
www.opentopia.com...

edit on 14-1-2012 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

Don't know if it's been posted already and if it has I apologize, but thought some might be interested in the notice on this page. Still learning, so not sure exactly how to properly post a quote...But here's what it says:

"Fresh activity near a dormant 'super volcano' in Germany has left experts worried about a possible eruption. Britain's Daily Mail wrote the eruption from the 'monster' underneath Laacher See lake near Bonn, could eject billions of tons of magma which in turn could cause widespead devastation in Europe and even 'short-term global cooling'. The mountain last erupted 12,900 years ago. Volcanologists have estimated the mountain's size to be similar to that of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines - responsible for the biggest ejection of the 20th century. Pinatubo threw up '10 billion tons of magma, 20 billion tons of sulphur dioxide 16 cubic kilometres of ash and caused a 0.5C drop in global temperatures'. Experts near the Laacher See site have detected carbon dioxide bubbles on the lake's surface and believe the mountain in Germany could be active again."

EDIT: ok...had I read the full thread, I would have seen that njl51 had in fact already posted the same site. My apologies.

edit on 17-1-2012 by anjl32 because: Repeat info confirmed

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by anjl32

yes its been posted here before and a few threads have been started on it , and to your link ,, to be honest its not liable at all.. unless the said volcano has erupted or what not .... they get their information by googleing stuff ...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Ok...that's good to know. I don't rely on google or wiki myself, I usually go to usgs and that's how I found that as a related link. My computer broke and it's quite difficult to do proper, legit research on my small iPhone so I will leave the research up to the experts for now.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Time to keep a close eye on Long Valley - she's shakin

Source

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Hmmm Hekla has a small EQ....
en.vedur.is...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Etna is having another go...

www.guide-etna.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
For the math people, in todays day and age,,
an interesting Formula for Energy Release.

Eth = VxdxTxK (from the Dynamics of Volcanism)

Eth is in Joules
V=volume in cubic kilo meters.
d=specific gravity (1.0)
T=temp. of Ejecta (500 degress Centigrade
K=Constant including the specific heat of the magma,
and the mechanical equivilent of heat,(8.37x10*to the 14th power,),,

thus the thermal energy released during the 79 A.D eruption was or approximately,,
2x10*too the 18th power Joules.
------------
May help in calculations,,

Me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join