It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Must I Hear About Your Religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So I've been on this site for quite a while, whether just lurking or actually doing things, and i've wondered if I'm the only one who's noticed this... Christians, whether on this website or in outside life, constantly try to push their religion. I can hardly go anywhere without hearing it, and it's horrid.

Honestly think, have you ever heard a Jewish person, Pagan, Muslim, Buddhist, really anything push their religion the way Christians do? Perhaps I may hear it from the others if their religion is being attacked in some way, or they've been asked a question. But I never have to hear the constant attempt to convince me unless it's from a Christian who's trying to turn me towards "the light" and when they convince me to go to their church and check it out, the biggest miracle is the ability to change 1 syllable words into 3 syllable words or vica versa.

I'm honestly just a man who's tired of hearing about others' faith constantly. Please feel free to post your thoughts and what not...
edit on 26-12-2011 by lastbleedingvictim because: incorrect grammar

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lastbleedingvictim

As far as ATS goes...don't read...what they have written. As far as being out in the world....get up (wish them well) and walk away.

You don't have to ready or listen...you have the choice to ignore...and live your life.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Strange I always found atheists more obnoxious than Christians.

Christians do however, make the mistake of defending their faith vocally. An argument isn't going to change a person's opinion.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe that is because you are surrounded by Christians. In another country, it would be their mainstream religion you would hear about.

Look at Nigeria. It seems Muslims can "push" their religion much more forcefully when they want to.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
When people come to my door to share their religion with me I kindly let them know I would prefer to dismiss myself from the conversation as it's bound to be full of disagreements and get heated.

As far as ATS goes, you should read and avoid contributing - I love the religion threads on ATS. Best comedy site on the net!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Goes both ways. I see athiests screaming about christans giving them a hard time, I see christians doing the same.

ATS is a perfect example. You, by creating this thread, have done the exact same thing a christian does
The only diffrence is, you believe something diffrent.

So each person has their right, yet both sides will continue to argue the other. It's just the way it is. One is the complete opposite of the other, so why wouldnt this yen and yang constantly bicker unless they both decide to let it drop and both alow the other their beliefs.

Christians are told to witness to non christians. It's a purpose given to them by God.

Athiest pretty much do this exact thing with posters, flyers, and forum threads about christians forcing their belief... so you see, it doesnt matter what side you're on, unless you allow fareness and equality on both sides, it will always be this way.

It's not just christians.. It's athiests, baptists, muslim... you name it. People who believe in something or nothing, want other people to tag along with them so they arnt alone in their beliefs or non beliefs. Human nature? Mayhaps...

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Horrid? Seems a bit strong a word when all you have to do is not read or listen to them. This fits right along with people offended by what is on their TV or radio and instead of changing the channel they seek to change said format. I remember a humorous case of a banner hanging in a High School that a parent found offensive because it had God on it. It had hung there for 20 years or so. They raised such a stink that the school removed the banner. Instead of that single parent simply ignoring it they forced their view and all the others gave in. IMHO everyone has the freedom to say and do as they choose until it actually harms another.
People espousing their faith, or lack thereof, have the right to do just that. I chose to listen sometimes and others I walk away. I do not see the harm here. I see the humor. I suspect you do as well and that is why this thread was created.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You know what, Ive never HAD to hear about anyones religion, when mormons come to my door I say no thanks, same with Jehovah Wittiness , they are usally very polite and wish me have a nice day...

Shame on them...

And as for here, I read everything, Information and Knowledge are power, it also allows me to see another perspective, even many of the supposed "Christians" threads on here are often misguided and uniformed, but I still read it as it gives me a glimpse into how others think.

But i have to admit, I am a christian, and when asked i will give an account to my beliefs, when a forum post ask a question or invites a view, yeah Ill post about my faith.

But as always you have the choice to read, the Hypersensitivity to race and religion on ATS is getting to be a bit much in my opinion.
edit on 26-12-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You guys for the most part are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I live in Tulsa Oklahoma, the bible buckle of this country. I can hardly go anywhere without having their god pushed on me. I keep my beliefs quiet cause I don't like to bother people who don't care about my opinion.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I live in Southern Ohio, here most are either Christian, or Atheist. I know of only one other Wiccan anywhere near me. Out town has almost as many churches as houses, and when you meet someone, it's "what church do you attend?." Any attempt to educate the Christians is met with them giving you one of their labels they have been taught to apply, and in talking a lot around here, I have seen that nobody reads the Bible, but they all believe in it, and they have "men of God" to tell them what it says, how to act, who to love, and who to hate, and who to vote for. A preacher lives right down the hill from me, he doesn't have a job, but his church, and not one of these big mega churches, but a small community one, collects enough for him to pursue his old car collection. He has 7 of then right now. He just paid $8500 for a 1966 Comet Cyclone, a very rare car. I guess telling lies pays pretty well.

As a Wiccan, I never try to convert anyone. That would just be wrong. If you were to approach me, and ask me how to become a Wiccan, I will tell you to study and research everything about Wicca for one year and one day before coming back to me. If Christianity demanded that one researched and studied the Bible before joining, we would have a lot less Christians. Even the Muslims memorize their Koran, most Christians never read their Bible at all. If you quote to them from their Bible, they claim that is not in there, I have has this said to me before.

Be a Christian, do what Jesus did. Jesus didn't go door to door trying to get people to join. And he didn't wear a cross necklace and a Bible everywhere he went, either.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I love talking religion in person with people. Hate talking religion online. But in person, for instance, mormons and christians knock on the door and ask if I wanna know more, I always join in. I usually get them to agree with me, and in a sense, for a moment get them to abandon their beliefs because what I say that they agree with is, "i would rather goto hell on my own accord, then follow a religion blindly into the depths.". I am a person of spirituality, and a person of a "god", but I do not wish to belong to a group whos fate lies in its leaders. The mormons try the hardest, because they always send beautiful women to your door, but.. I. Aint a falling for temptations..

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastbleedingvictim
So I've been on this site for quite a while, whether just lurking or actually doing things, and i've wondered if I'm the only one who's noticed this... Christians, whether on this website or in outside life, constantly try to push their religion. I can hardly go anywhere without hearing it, and it's horrid.

Honestly think, have you ever heard a Jewish person, Pagan, Muslim, Buddhist, really anything push their religion the way Christians do? Perhaps I may hear it from the others if their religion is being attacked in some way, or they've been asked a question. But I never have to hear the constant attempt to convince me unless it's from a Christian who's trying to turn me towards "the light" and when they convince me to go to their church and check it out, the biggest miracle is the ability to change 1 syllable words into 3 syllable words or vica versa.

I'm honestly just a man who's tired of hearing about others' faith constantly. Please feel free to post your thoughts and what not...

I've noticed the same thing with sports. Every radio station covers the latest game. It seems like everywhere I go, sports is a topic of conversation. The same thing goes for country music. How about those advertisements? Seems like you can't go anywhere without seeing a billboard. Don't even get me started on food. It's everywhere.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

I actually don't see much about sports... And food? What's that?!?!?!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I consider myself very spiritual as well as being the world's laziest Catholic.I pray every day and often ponder spiritual questions...but, yeah, I too am tired of hearing it.

I don't foist my beliefs on others and I get a bit tired of "beliefs"constantly coming into discourse at every turn. Whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish or Atheist. I really just don't care and don't want to hear about unless it is with my own friends and family or the occasional provocative and different than the usual thread.

It's wild to me how many religious threads inundate the off topic forums, it's why I don't post as much here.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastbleedingvictim

Wow what a complainer . . . how about you go cry in a corner, a dark one.

I bet you complain when there is PDA (aka people kissing/ fondling in public)

I bet you complain when your boyfriend leaves the toilet seat up every morning

Also would not be surprised if you consider yourself an "artist"

LoL

Yeah go decry the genius of Darwin to them just don't mention DARWIN'S INBRED FREAKSHOW of a family

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

why be embarassed about what you believe.. err dont believe? Why should that shame you? Man up. Dont be a prick, just tell people how you feel. if they dont like it, oh well.. if they do stupid crap, sue em. Give unto ceaser what is ceaser.... pizza pizza!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Organized religon brings the children of their particular beliefs up to defend them and make them think that their book has ALL the answers. This type of teaching leads to arrogance. And arrogance breeds blind faith.

Nobody does any research anymore. I can ask a simple question for simple evidence of truth to their book's truth and I have to read 10 responses before I get one that can give me a reasonable argument.

Most of them just want to talk to you like a child and tell you don't understand god. Both of these are personal attacks which is funny because most people here have trouble with personal relationships--- which is what god is in the first place.

Anyway, I get where youre coming from. Peace

top topics

join