It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 UK Police vs man armed with machete in the street.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

This video was shot back in May, but i didn't see it posted and thought i'd post to see what you guys think. It was filmed in Brockley, South London.

It kind of says something about the use of force the UK police have, or rather, don't, as it takes 31 police officers armed only with telescopic 'Asps', Riot shields and C.S. Spray. later in the video, you even see one Police Officer gagging from an accidental spraying he received.

Also, it took 31 Police Officers off other jobs i imagine, to go cover what 2-4 officers could have done with guns/tazers in other countries.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MahmoudAhmadinejad

Wow, that is some scary stuff right there. I guess either mental health issues and/or drugs were to blame for his state especially as the CS gas didn't do too much, in contrast to one of the officers that is bent over double at the end of the film. Glad to see no one got hurt and he is being looked at by mental health professionals now.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MahmoudAhmadinejad

Also, it took 31 Police Officers off other jobs i imagine, to go cover what 2-4 officers could have done with guns/tazers in other countries.

he'd of been in the back of a hearse before you could of say 'put down your weapon' , one of the main things about british policing is the want of NOT having lethal force available at every street corner since it starts the deadly chain of having to keep up in the war of weapons

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
Wow, that is some scary stuff right there. I guess either mental health issues and/or drugs were to blame for his state especially as the CS gas didn't do too much

Yeah, apparently capsicum spray is not very effective on people if they are really going psycho.

But with no guns or tazers, how do you deal with someone with a machete? I mean, in a game of paper-rock-scissors, a machete sure beats a knife (that's why I have one beside my bed
).

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I get that not arming the police is important in the UK as the gun laws are very strict and it takes a lot for someone to own a gun. But in situations like this, the UK police are pretty much helpless. The only way they got him was through sheer numbers.

The UK police need a better deterrent or use of force. I understand that they're currently about to deploy the microwave gun for riot control, but maybe they should be using tazers or rubber bullets in these kinds of scenarios.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
In the USA the cops would have been high-fiving each other after they shot that guy dead..

glad he didn't get killed, although he was probably asking for it...

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MahmoudAhmadinejad
The UK police need a better deterrent or use of force. I understand that they're currently about to deploy the microwave gun for riot control, but maybe they should be using tazers or rubber bullets in these kinds of scenarios.

those sort of options are generally classed as lethal force and normally require senior police officer authorization and until you can get the senior officer on site to authorize it you need to contain the problem to protect the general public

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
That's damned ridiculous. Someone could have got seriously injured with that machete. If I was a cop I would have shot him in the lower leg and be done with it. Those guys seriously need tasers.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Well, they have at least used tasers in the past in the UK. There have been a couple of reports of people dying (healthy young males) after being tased. One guy was tased 3 times (newspaper report) and died.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

All Holland police have guns but they use the softly softly approach. They request you to put down the weapon, if you don't comply a warning shot in the air and then a leg shot is I believe standard protocol. One recently in Rotterdam here, similar to the OP. Guy waving knife in the street, would not comply so he got a leg shot and all ended well.
www.ad.nl...

ETA CS gas is not pepper spray but I guess the effects are at least slightly similar. I've never been exposed to either and wouldn't want to be.

edit on 26/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 26/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Downtown Seattle
Stand off for nearly 10 hours.

Man with samurai sword is described by the news
as homeless and mentally ill.

Police and firemen safely ended the ordeal after gassing the man and then drenched him in water, pinning him down with a ladder.

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hi Mahmou and Merry Chanukkah also you to ,in UK weapons are not allowed so easy to the police to use,but who knows,fear born monsters!

top topics

join