It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change/Species Confusion and Food Supply..No harvest for me this year. Anyone Else?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Hello! Good Morning, I hope everyone had a great Holiday of your choice!

My thread is a personal one that I feel may not be so personal, since I have heard family member reports and read other blogs that people are seeing the same thing.

I have a crab apple tree that is 8 years old. Every spring it blooms the most beautiful hot pink blossoms. Come fall/winter time, I get to harvest the edible crab apples. Last year I had so many I didn't know what to do with them all.

This year in October, I came home from work one day and noticed that the tree had RE-BLOOMED! Never has it done that before! I honestly didn't think too much about it other than thinking it was a little odd.

So now Christmas has passed and I realized I am missing something, something so important that it always coincides with my holiday planning........APPLE HARVEST!!!! THERE ARE NONE!!!! NOT ONE!!!!!

No apple jelly, no apple butter, nothing to string for the holiday tree, nothin'! I brought this up to a family member in California who states she is also seeing some trees re-blooming in her neighborhood.

This brought me back to remember an odd fact this summer. My blue birds return year after year every April to lay their eggs. This year they were laying their eggs in July, and they all died I assumed from the heat...but what if everything is getting confused and the food they rely upon to eat had already come and gone?? The cycle of life disrupted!

So if humans rely upon trees for example to eat from, what happens when nature is confused and does not produce the fruit WE RELY ON!!!?? Massive starvation on a global scale?? The changes are on us, we could be doomed, especially if foods we rely upon require pollination, first freezes, or no freezes...etc...

People may not believe in Global Climate Change but wake up people, there ARE changes, call it what you like, but a duck is still a duck and an apple still an apple, weather change is...well......WEATHER CHANGE! How can anyone prepare for that?
edit on 26-12-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I know a lot people who could not get their garden veggies to grow and mature. Very unusual.
I had not heard this about the trees or the birds yet. Very strange indeed.
Lets hope its not a yearly thing starting or we are in big trouble.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I used to have a large garden, and a large potted garden, I had huge yields some years. This year however I had a small potted garden, and very poor yield, the squirrels ate all of my tomatoes before I was to pick them, my cucumbers never grew–a first, parsley never really matured to where I would get multiple harvests from, even after bringing them in the house, only had enough for use in stuffing for Thanksgiving turkey, even herbs didn't flourish, where I usually plant radishes 3 times a growing season the first mature radishes were foul. I have to admit I was overly preoccupied this summer but still, just saying. A very bad waste of money effort.

The only thing I have of value now is a live rosemary plant I can use for spicing.
edit on 26-12-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I actually had very good crops of corn, squash and beans this year. Even my sweet potatoes were abundant. The tomatoes failed miserably as did my carrots. BUT I have never NOT harvested any apples!!! This re-blooming issue coinciding with no harvest is a RED ALERT to me!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
So if humans rely upon trees for example to eat from, what happens when nature is confused and does not produce the fruit WE RELY ON!!!??

Evolve or die. Same goes for the trees, and birds.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

So if humans rely upon trees for example to eat from, what happens when nature is confused and does not produce the fruit WE RELY ON!!!??

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
We also could not grow any veggies to maturity this year. Last year was a different case.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
my crops done fine here in florida this year but its strange the alligators havnt went in to hibernation yet and its still 85 degrees outside at this time of year

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

You must have a large garden area in which you can plant. I found squash takes up too much room for the yield, as I did with broccoli. I also haven't found the effort to grow carrots worth the trouble as with celery, for the money store bought ones were better tasting and relatively cheap. There is nothing like home ripe tomatoes though, luckily this poor growing season for me our local grocery store provided Campari tomatoes, the best tasting store bought tomatoes I ever bought. Root crops have a built-in advantage, like potatoes you can just leave them in the frozen ground until you need them, even after the plant is cut. I live in the city so space is a premium, but I found amazing ways to have several hundred plant crops in my yard, porches, and so on. However it would make taking vacations a bit tenuous, with the loved effort of upkeep involved, especially if there is little rain.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
My first small garden this year after a very long hiatus....
The farmin was poor this year for me....
With little sprouting before it rotted in the cold wet ground.
Lettuce oppoed up and a few carrots, but the beets and corn were a total loss.
My one cucumer plant was prlofic but the tomato plants got some kin of black spot mould that killed them off rapisly rotting the plants fruit and all quickly.....
The bright spot of my garden was the profuse spread of strawberries which i plan to convert completely to in the spot in the spring....
I had strawberries till after frost time.....

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Well...aren't we in a perky mood...

OT the only thing here that didn't produce well this past year, were my grapes. The Concord, and white did not fruit as in previous years. But what really surprised me, was the wild muscadines , that grow everywhere around here, and normally overproduce...didn't

Usually I get what I need, plus plenty left over for the birds.

Thank goodness, I have a case of muscadine jelly and syrup left from the year before.
edit on 26-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Thank you OP, In Nebraska I noticed the birds returned several times instead of flying south and returning in spring they seem confused I see large groups flying in all directions in skewed formation, ultimately circling back. I do not know if this is a migratory issue as in something is effecting migratory patterns, or if it is a climate issue. Also our trees started budding last month and then a freeze set in, I have to think this would damage the trees.

strange also I brought an impatience in this year and it has bloomed all winter it has 5 blooms indoors. There should not be sufficient sunlight for blooming.

new topics

top topics

join