It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isn't Life Worthless?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

When you die this time around..................you will be back.

Good news, you won't ever really totally just vanish.

Don't ask me how I know this for a fact, I do but am not going to share this with ATS members because I simply do not feel up to the ridicule and trolling that is allowed vs. discussion.

Karma, reincarnation, in my humble opinion exist.

I've been with quite a few people when they have passed out of their physical body and something, a energy force, is the closest I can come to in words, this energy - life force actually leaves - with many people you can feel the energy very briefly, only slightly but it is there and than it is gone. It like lifts off and out from the physical shell we put so much emphasis on.

Einstein himself said, "energy never dies, it simply changes form".

Do the best you can to be a nice, kind and decent person, help others if you can.

But, while your physical body will one day die, your soul, your life force, whatever you call that special spark that is you as well as a part of the grand whole will simply either go to another dimension or reincarnate (my own opinion) and again, I've had my own proof.

Make your life worthwhile to you.

For everyone it's different. In my previous reply I answered what has made my 58 almot 59 (next month) years worth while.

I learned early on about life and death when my mother died quite suddenly of Lung Cancer. I was nine.

She died February 23, 1963 and yes her life had meaning..............there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her, miss her and remember her many kindnesses, her gentle ways.

This song by Jimmie Durante, yes it's a corny song but it sums up ...how to make your life worthwhile.

This was the end song on "Sleepless in Seattle".

One last thought..............wait until you hold your first grandchild in your arms. Quite an experience.
edit on 26-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
My question is, obviously a lot of members are posting and commenting of the OP. So why not give a Star or Flag????? Come on people! This is how good threads get lost!

I for one do disagree only because I do not believe the term worthless. To me it just has a negative sound to it, but I understand what your opinion is. To me however, we all have a purpose, we are information in a complex quantum arrangement. Our purpose may not be known to us, but it does not make us worthless. Just my 2 cents

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
My question is, obviously a lot of members are posting and commenting of the OP. So why not give a Star or Flag????? Come on people! This is how good threads get lost!

I for one do disagree only because I do not believe the term worthless. To me it just has a negative sound to it, but I understand what your opinion is. To me however, we all have a purpose, we are information in a complex quantum arrangement. Our purpose may not be known to us, but it does not make us worthless. Just my 2 cents

I can't say there is a point, at least in the sense that there is a clear objective or goal or purpose. But I also disagree with the notion that we are all worthless. Maybe the OP is just mixing definitions or has another connotation for it, but to say we are all worthless has to accept that there is something of "worth", or the word would be useless. So what then has worth? Its silly to believe that you don't value experiencing life, unless it is torturous for you, which I doubt it is for the OP. So the questing shouldn't be if life is worthless, but is life worth experiencing?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
You have it partly correct my friend. It is your flesh that is worthless.

What animates it, brought it together into one solid mass, that is what is eternal.

We are merely brief expressions of that unknown spirit, currently rejecting each other.

We cannot perceive the perceiver.

We cannot see the seer.

We cannot hear the hearer.

Not until we understand one another.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

good point. How can we define worth? If there isnt much of worth, then worthless is the absent of worth. So if theres very little we can do that achieves worth, then it is worthless. Not to say it isnt worth living, but that once it has expired, it isnt worth. So in essence, it is worthless.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
reply to post by juveous

good point. How can we define worth? If there isnt much of worth, then worthless is the absent of worth. So if theres very little we can do that achieves worth, then it is worthless. Not to say it isnt worth living, but that once it has expired, it isnt worth. So in essence, it is worthless.

I assume by "it has expired" you mean death, thus life is worthless? In essence wouldn't that give life more worth, because there is death?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

well, perhaps. But there is nothing you can bring with you, and theres little you can imprint for others. So life is cruel. Its like giving a 5 year old a popsicle, and then telling them they have to leave it in the sun for an hour before eating it. Not to say theres no love and joy in life, there is, but you get x amount of time to experience it.. And when its done, it is worthless. You have nothing to show to anything that you were once loved and joyful. It may seem like worth to the individual during, but it becomes none existing. And anything none existing has no worth.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

and why isn't it necessary to prove to other's that you enjoyed your life? Why does something need to be left behind, or taken with? You can enjoy life, isn't that enough?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

enjoying life is enough, but it still doesnt mean it isnt worthless in the end. Because like I stated before, once it has ceased, the knowledge of such joy disperses.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

It is my personal opinion (and I respect yours) that we ARE worth something and what we do in this life can be of benefit to others after we go. Was Thomas Edison worthless? No, because he discovered the electricity in the way that powers the computer you are reading this on. Was Ghandi worthless? He taught us to be passive in a healthy way that accomplished more than violence. The list is endless. Your life matters. My life matters. Charles Manson's life matters (in the sense that something can be learned about mental illness, etc.). We may be little fish in a big pond but we exist together. We matter. And we'll matter even after this life is over of us, individually.

~Mick

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Hmm. I don't remember who posed the question, but it goes somethig like; if there was something like a virtual world ride where you could experience anything you imagined for an extended period, but once it was over, you would have no memory of it, would you still do it?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
People need a reason to go on living.
Religion ,life after death.
or just to pass your seed on by your sons.

they are all made up to give us a reason.
we can not cope with a life of just living
for a short time and then its all over.

what's the point of being good?
or even doing evil?
if in the end it and you are nothing?

humans can not think with a hive mentality.
we Each have a great Big Ego.
it the some for the lengths some people will go to stay alive.

humans will do any thing to live.
they would eat their own children.
or freeze there heads!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

You are right. We are worthless.

Our skyscrapers that reach the clouds are worthless.
The space shuttles which ferried astronauts to low earth orbit were worthless.
The doctors that save lives each day are worthless.
Our planet, the home of all earthly life, is small and insignificant and worthless.
Our sun is also small and insignificant and worthless.
A single human being is ignorable and worthless.
All of our military heroes that fought for our country are worthless.
All of our factories that produce the things we need are worthless.
All of the arts and crafts are worthless.
All of the different religious and cults and codes are worthless.
All of our fantasies and stories and dreams are worthless.
The time we exist in is small and the place is small; it's worthless.
All of the many ways people express themselves sexually are worthless.
Everything that's human or was human or acts human is worthless.

It's true.

Now all you gotta do is lay down and die. It's harder than it sounds, eh?

Why?

Could it be because, despite being worthless, it has some kind of meaning to you?

Could it be that worthless or not, you can still desire to live?

Ever asked why people play fantasy games? Isn't that worthless?

Why don't you tell an ant that it's worthless? Will it curl up and die? Do you think bacteria are worthless? If so, just tell em. Watch as trillions of trillions all willingly extinguish their life.

And btw, there're magnitudes more non-human cells than human cells in the body. So in order to committ suicide, you somehow have to fight the impulses of trillions of trillions of cells.
edit on 26-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

The very fact that we're not all dead PROVES we at least feel this life worthwhile.

In order for it to be worthless we must be dead and unaware of it, imho.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica

It is fact! Prove me wrong!

How can there be Fact and Proof in Philosophy?

That in and of itself is contradiction. Much like life.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
If you live your life trying to make each moment an adventure then when you die you can make that an adventure too. If you don't survive it then you don't have to worry anymore.

I don't think anybody here can say they haven't had these thoughts. The years pass by so fast. We can see our future flash before our eyes. We see it in everyone around us. We start asking whether it's all worth it. Life can throw a sh**storm at us. That seems to be the state of things. Sh**storms come and go. Bottom line, people find reasons to keep moving ahead. Sometimes life can steal you away without much warning. For them, hopefully, death is the next adventure.

My belief is our brain will create a fantasy just before death to trick us. The brain knows it's dying. So it will unleash torrents of transmitters and unlock the gates and throw the deadbolts. It'll be one last hurrah. And we'll be so out of it that we won't know it's the end. Bliss.

On the other hand, there might not be anything at all. Like shutting the lights off.

What if the last dream or hallucination we have before dying is a nightmare? Not sure. What if you have no transmitters or receivers that can fill you with euphoria? I know that I read somewhere that upon death (or moments before) our brain fills with a chemical that's known to produce hallucinations in live subjects. We also know that many patients receive large amounts of opium pain-killers before dying. This will produce hallucations or euphoria as well.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
To do good is to remove suffering.

I can't say that we will ever know how or why we are here, or what our lives mean outside of this existence: these things are hidden from us. You can only work with what you have. Suffering is our enemy; do not dwell on what you cannot know or change.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Not anymore. We just got a new microwave for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Why can't we accept certain things about ourselves? I believe it's because as animals, we are at the top of the food chain and it's just natural for us to believe that we are entitled. Even evolutionists seem to have a hard time accepting the fact that we are merely sophisticated animals and all of our behavior is driven by our animal instincts.

Noone knows the purpose of life.. yet. They may have ideas. Perhaps we may unlock the code of our genetic potential someday and figure out things about ourselves, and other creatures too, and maybe we'll survive long enough to figure out why there is life here and possibly elsewhere also.

Beyond wormfood, we are not beneficial to the planet in any way. In fact, we are just the opposite. Our entire known history on the planet is one of violence and living out-of-harmony with nature. Despite this, we still keep the illusion we are wonder creatures and animals are just animals. Outside of ourselves, we are a blight and a serious danger to all life around us. If that fits your definition of 'worthless', there you go...

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I absolutely get your point but I think they're are some exceptions. You mentioned that we are still doing the same as hunderds of years ago but there is one difference, now we live longer. Someone who finds the cure for cancer won't be worthless.. His or her work will be appreciated forever, as it adds to life.
But people will still die. And it only gives one persons life worth. Maybe you're right life is worthless, we will all die in the end, for generations to come. Nothing is going to change that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join