It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isn't Life Worthless?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Before I start, I want to make it clear, this isnt a rant. Ats likes to think all rebuttles to comments are rants, but this is philosophy. I get ats, you hate certain people more than others, but get over it. Now, my first question is; doesnt everyone pass away? If this is fact, like the majority of the ever existing world has thought, the answer is yes! Now we live in a time of great technology and more travel than any other time in history, so we have this belief we are special, but we arent any different from those who lived many many centuries ago, so we are not special. I dont get why people believe such a thing. So what is it exactly, that one could accomplish before they die that actually makes them worth anything? I mean, when you pass, you pass, and majority of people, and what they did before hand, makes no difference. Some believe in heaven and hell, so they "hope" that their "good" deeds on earth get them to a better place, but we have no proof of such a place, and what is "good" and what is "bad", certainly eludes us, as for instance, the majority of suicide bombers "believe" they are doing "good". So you see my point there? So what make my life, or your life, or anyones worth anything right before, or after passing? Nothing. I dont get what is wrong about acknowledging that we are worthless. Now we enjoy ourselves, and create new life, and prolong the existence of man, but to what avail? They will bring more wars and new methods of hate. So why is it, majority cannot accept this fact until during their process of dying? To me it is something obvious, and to others, their ego fills them with nonesense, and deludes their thought process to reject that there is no point. Its not like 1 person will live the right life and bring everyone else into eternal bliss, that doesnt happen. We are all worthless. Why is it wrong to say that? And why dont people accept it long before the end? It is fact! Prove me wrong!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Unfortunately you are thinking incredibly, very very small on scale.

There is life after death. There was life before death. I could go on and on about why this existence of duality is an important learning experience for your consciousness or soul, whichever you like to call it.

There is so much to explain that gives life purpose. Putting it simply though its about bettering yourself. At the moment the best you can do is rise above the rat race, leave the matrix the government and men behind the curtains have created.

Learn meditation, interact with nature. Treat everyone equally. Accept that you know only what you believe to be true to the best of your ability. Once you have left this type of conscious block you will discover you can indeed interact with the universe through meditation and thought. Everything you feel, think and do has a reaction somewhere, sometime.

Once you have had personal experiences, that in the end, are pointless trying to explain to people as only you will truly understand as they are solely there for you, you can acknowledge that there is in fact some higher governing power.

I know i'm gonna sound like a nut, but just a year ago, i was a skeptical atheist who believed little apart from the physical world and what we are presented. I can only tell you that i assure you there is so much more then meets the eye, the possibility of having your mind blown over and over again, just by your own experiences through thoughts and the physical world is an incredible feeling.

Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
IMO, existence in spacetime has very little to do with the profitting by occupants of this domain. All are proxies through which omniscience becomes greater than infinite by also possessing finite, as a set, that contain unlimited variations, iterations, and numerations, which requires eternal time to complete.

All are used, all are tools.

The goal is to become aware of this communion and flow within it as a participant. Otherwise, you will be used to provide the consciousness feed taken by the Infinite for engagements we consider negative.

There must be a road made of tar and crushed stones that the Rolls Royce drives upon too. You must choose which you will be.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Life seems worthless when you look at it through pessimistic and cynical eyes. It's all about how you decide to view the world and react to the things you experience. Life will seem worthless when you continually reflect on the fact that someday we will all die. Yes we will, but that does not mean you cannot live a happy and productive life. Stop placing so much importance on death and focus your energy on your potential to achieve happiness in your life.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
When you think of death which is a certainty, you are actually preparing yourself to face it. 100 years is too little time to self-realize. And we really are only after illusions. When you turned 20, you thought life could be so good if there is no school. When you turn 40, you realize life was better during the 20's. 60 comes and you keep pondering yesterday was so much better. So we must take the present time in our hands and reflect on it.

No matter what we say things we do in life are 90% junk. The remaining 10% is what we think we should be doing like stop wars, feed the needy, go to space, visit planets, exploring inner self- thats what life should be. But unfortunately it isn't happening. We have turned ourselves into competitors. You compete with someone and thats someone faces another one. Life is nowadays a matter of how much junk you hold in your house. We have only ourselves to blame. We have been given this chance and its up to us.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
you're right about one thing, in my opinion; we aren't special and no matter what we do we will eventually be forgotten. So i think life boils down to one simple goal, reproduce. Reproduce and assure the continuation of the evolution process of our species.
edit on 26-12-2011 by wlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Sadly, I agree. As much as I enjoy "living life" and existing in general, I'm honest enough with myself to realize that ultimately everything I do is worthless. I will die, everyone I ever knew/influenced/loved will die and all the people who knew the people that I knew will also die ect, the sun will stop shining, the universe will "end". At times I've entertained there being some kind of afterlife but I think that's just my catholic upbringing talking, mixed with the human habit of believing that we are important enough to exist for all eternity.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
Before I start, I want to make it clear, this isnt a rant. Ats likes to think all rebuttles to comments are rants, but this is philosophy. I get ats, you hate certain people more than others, but get over it. Now, my first question is; doesnt everyone pass away? If this is fact, like the majority of the ever existing world has thought, the answer is yes! Now we live in a time of great technology and more travel than any other time in history, so we have this belief we are special, but we arent any different from those who lived many many centuries ago, so we are not special. I dont get why people believe such a thing. So what is it exactly, that one could accomplish before they die that actually makes them worth anything? I mean, when you pass, you pass, and majority of people, and what they did before hand, makes no difference. Some believe in heaven and hell, so they "hope" that their "good" deeds on earth get them to a better place, but we have no proof of such a place, and what is "good" and what is "bad", certainly eludes us, as for instance, the majority of suicide bombers "believe" they are doing "good". So you see my point there? So what make my life, or your life, or anyones worth anything right before, or after passing? Nothing. I dont get what is wrong about acknowledging that we are worthless. Now we enjoy ourselves, and create new life, and prolong the existence of man, but to what avail? They will bring more wars and new methods of hate. So why is it, majority cannot accept this fact until during their process of dying? To me it is something obvious, and to others, their ego fills them with nonesense, and deludes their thought process to reject that there is no point. Its not like 1 person will live the right life and bring everyone else into eternal bliss, that doesnt happen. We are all worthless. Why is it wrong to say that? And why dont people accept it long before the end? It is fact! Prove me wrong!

Worthless? No, not really. Actually people seem to have this opinion of themselves that they live their lives and move little more than the dirt it takes to bury them by the end of it.
Yes, people often don't live the life they wish to lead, they make compromises based on what is sometimes more important than themselves. It doesn't make their lives a waste of pointless time.
The one thing I can agree with is the BS and brainwashing instilled in us by the church and TPTB that we must live a good moral life to get to heaven, and die without regret or we go to hell. The truth is NO ONE knows what actually lies beyond death, all we can do is speculate. Fearing this end is what makes us label these things so.
Heaven and hell, good and bad, they are just words invented by a race that likes to label things. Black, white, right, wrong, love hate, all just words from a race of concious monkeys trying to understand their place in the universe.
At some point people need to step back and realise that despite what they do in life, whether it be big or small, that they have lived a life less ordinary, unique from every other experience and person on this planet. It just takes a moment to sit down and list the things you have done to see that.
We live in amazing times in this world, right here and now, whether you choose to believe it or not. People are closer than ever before, not isolated, not secular, not divided, and I bet that scares the hell out of those powers that want to keep us from rising up and taking back this world from them.
Besides, if this were the last day on earth, would you really think about how worthless your life is? I know I wouldn't, I'd be thinking of everything I've accomplished, no matter how small or menial before I went.
And when I do it'd be as drunk as possible...

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hi Myendica
If I understand your question correctly you are asking what makes life mean anything if there is no guarantees or proof of anything after and if most people who ever lived are lost in history now. It seems as if the majority of people lived and died and are forgotten now. So what makes life worth it? I think most people have asked themselves a form of this question at one time or another.

No one can really answer that for you because we are all so different. That you are asking this question will lead to something. All I would suggest is to ask yourself another question(s). What means the most to you now that you enjoy doing and would do if you didn't get paid or no one ever really noticed... what is that thing you are most passionate about? That thing you do where you lose all track of time. When you know what that one (sometimes there is more than one thing like that but usually there is one that really stands out) thing is in your life, you will have found your reason to live.

For some people it is art or music or one of the creative fields, for others it is taking care of family or animals, some might say its the time they spend in their garden, or the times when they are doing one of the sports....it can be any number of things that become our passion in life.

Whatever it is, time doesn't seem to pass while you are doing it. You could be doing it for hours and think it was only 30 min or something. When you lose track of even time you are in what they call "the zone." Its like a natural high and its larger than life.

Putting aside all religious questions... if you can find this one thing you will have found your reason to live.

edit on 26-12-2011 by LunaKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

When you have a government you work for them and be part of the society and contribute. When someone commits a crime, he gets sentenced. And you believe that they have the right to do it. Think of God as THE government. May be this is how God works. May be he just sent us here for us to claim the rights and get back where we actually belong?
Now does he have the right to punish us? Of course. If puny humans can punish others, then how do you expect God to not to do so except that the punishment is more of a stay in a material planet for just a 100 years?

I dont know why it doesn't make any sense. It absolutely makes sense.
So life as he says could be worthless because we haven't found our path. Its worthless because we are not living it the right way.

edit on 26-12-2011 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

" So what is it exactly, that one could accomplish before they die that actually makes them worth anything? "

Nature and the Cosmos are mental objects that make an impression on the soul. We hear, see and do. I lump the senses into see because we illuminate the mind with impressions of the gross matter that makes up our world and reality. Subtract the gross and realize the subtle. What receives and what transmits? If you are valuing the transmitter as reality, you miss the receiver of the gift. This is what our objective worldview says. It makes the impression that the soul is a possession. With this view, the soul seems lost shortly after it leaves the womb. Once a person hits the tipping point of life, they no longer see the beginning and growth, but the decline and end. Dissolution must take place if renewal is to happen. Again, nature is only the impression for the soul to grow.

Once you flip your worldview inward to the essence of what you are, consider the lesson nature teaches. Nature is a union of opposites coming together to make one thing. The one thing is the new life that is created. Most people assume that the union of man and woman is the end; then comes death. Not so. There is yet another hidden union that is only realized by seeing past matter.

The sun and the moon come together for all life on earth. The sperm and egg come together. Man and woman come together. Seed and soil come together. In every case, information expresses in a medium and develops. What's missing?

You are a soul that is paired with the spirit of God. As you develop in the womb of the earth, your body becomes the medium of development. This is comparable to the placenta of the womb. See it for what it is. We are developing in our next womb and death is only the renewal as we transition from the water of reality to the spirit of transcendence.

See it in the Bible. John 3 explains the entire process. Baptism is our immersion into the water of reality. We must be born again. In other words, we must either be literally born again and rebaptized, or we must be born again when we gain union with the spirit. Once we find love for God and others, we transpose our soul to a new vehicle and develop yet again in the spirit. The dead in Christ shall rise, as the Bible declares. Read Matthew where John the Baptist refuses to baptize the Pharisees. Then, ask yourself this question: Can we end our development? Study the Pharisees to see what causes us to end (abort) the process. Not only do we have a duty in this life to others, we also have a duty to God. Miss this duty and the end comes. Choices matter, but matter does not.

edit on 26-12-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by radkrish
reply to post by 74Templar

When you have a government you work for them and be part of the society and contribute. When someone commits a crime, he gets sentenced. And you believe that they have the right to do it. Think of God as THE government. May be this is how God works. May be he just sent us here for us to claim the rights and get back where we actually belong?
Now does he have the right to punish us? Of course. If puny humans can punish others, then how do you expect God to not to do so except that the punishment is more of a stay in a material planet for just a 100 years?

I dont know why it doesn't make any sense. It absolutely makes sense.
So life as he says could be worthless because we haven't found our path. Its worthless because we are not living it the right way.

I'm not really sure how you managed to pull God or governments out of what I said originally, it was more to say life is only worthless if you believe it so, and again, that is just a stupid label we put on it ourselves because we are so unevolved that we need labels in order to understand something, or at least try to...
I don't see my life as a punishment, I see it as a challenge, yes there have been testing times, but at the end I was a better person for it. If I'm only here for 100 or less years, I don't waste my time worrying about how pointless what I do day to day is. Else I'd go mad if I considered that. I focus on the now, what I'm doing, how it can be fun, beautiful, unique, the list is endless.
As far God punishing us with being in a meatsuit for a generaion or so, well....
"When someone gives you lemons, make lemonade..." It's all just a matter of perspective is all.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
hi,
Placing worth on things is useless.....we are living.....we are all alive....why doubt that......?¿?¿?¿?¿?
Is it not enough that we share this common truth....here and now....that we are all alive together....is that really not enough to defend each others life.....if our self evident truths are only theories and ideas....why defend them and abandon those that believe anything at all.....why abandon the living in the name of truth......why advocate death by asking why "life".....

Because we are all here and now....we are all alive.....we are as one...
why doubt each others worth......is it because you doubt your own......?¿?¿?¿
I am as you....you are as me,....we are one.....we are worth the beating hearts that intertwine us in a web of brotherhood.....we are as one in the blood we spill on eachothers land....we are humanity....I love this little world....I love the world for being beautiful not because I understand it....I love the people for thier kindness not their cleverness.....I love you for you are me......not because you are worthy of love....but because Humanity is knowing of how to love.....you, me.....in this together,,,,,,that is worth it.....if there is any worth at all....it begins with us......not you or me but everyone....for we are the world...and no where we know of is there another like it....

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Please dont get me wrong. I enjoy life! I love my wife, my son, my family, and pets. I think life is beautiful. But these are only worth something to me. Nothing that I can do will be worth something, after my mind ceases to acknowledge what it was I enjoyed and cherished.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Op, you state some good reasons why I don't believe in good and evil or karma. But I wouldn't go as far as saying we are worthless. It's just about the experience and it does have worth because it has meaning, unlike eternal bliss.

At least that's how I feel.

edit on 26-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Life is meaningless because no one or nothing can define the meaning. Life isn't worthless, just pointless. This doesn't mean it's bad, any moment you love gives it to worth to the person who is concious of the love. This love conciousness ripples through to people, affecting far in the future. This gives our lives worth, just not a point or meaning.

Does that make sense? It's difficult laying down what I mean.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
Please dont get me wrong. I enjoy life! I love my wife, my son, my family, and pets. I think life is beautiful. But these are only worth something to me. Nothing that I can do will be worth something, after my mind ceases to acknowledge what it was I enjoyed and cherished.

But that is something! You know we are conditioned to be constantly "productive." And one of the messages that we get stuck with with that kind of thinking is that we by ourselves aren't important enough. We're only important in terms of what we contribute to the world. Thats baloney. Instead of asking, what makes my life worth it that others will see..ask yourself what makes it worth to you and just you? Its your life. The meaning is what you give it. Don't worry what others think of how you spent your life. They have their own lives to do with what they want.

I also want to add that while you are enjoying life and following your passion you will affect others in a positive way. If your passion is your family and pets...think of all the interaction that goes on there. You are affecting each one of their lives. I've lost people and pets that I love dearly love. I sure hope none of them thought that they meant nothing with their lives or to me. I mean omg, we affect people in ways we don't even know. And it goes forward...they affect others and so on, it never stops. Part of us is really in each other and continues on always. From some we learn to be more compassionate, or learn to laugh more, or learn to be more patient with others and so on. Maybe we lose the names of people over time but we don't ever really lose what they meant while they were here. We all affect each other all the time.

Live a life you enjoy and you will leave behind a wonderful legacy to all that know you.

edit on 26-12-2011 by LunaKat because: additional thought

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Well, life is as meaningful as you make it.

I've made a lot of blunders and if there is such a thing as reincarnation
I'm most certainly going to have to come back because I still have much to learn. I have a lot of faults to still over come.

However, this time around I can say:

I've saved countless animals from being gassed or decompressed.
My past six animals have all been "throw aways" and have all had good, happy homes. Many were given up to shelters when they hit five - seven years of age. Surrender a dog or cat at that age and they are more likely to end up another carcass either in a landfill or rendered meat.
I've served meals to people who otherwise would not have had a meal.
Talked several people out of suicide and they went on to thank me and tell me things did get better.
Gave toys and money to children I will never meet but who will enjoy another Christmas believing in Santa Claus.
Held the hand of quite a few people passing away and while I got in trouble when I was in nursing for taking too much time with one patient, that one patient (and there were quite a few) did not die alone.
I've initiated quite a few code blues and helped bring a heart attack victim back to life - strange how some that should live died and some you would have thought will never make it live....almost like when it is your time it is your time.

I had a old man, around 90 that coded on me. We got him back and the day after he was discharged he came back with flowers for me saying, "Your face was the last face I saw before I started to go, I'm really old but I didn't want to die - thank you for acting so fast and saving me."

Right now I have a dog leaning up against me begging me for more turkey and a hug and kiss that was six hours away from being gassed in Georgia simply because she was six years old and deemed too old and placed in a high kill shelter (that's what they do to your pet shop puppy's mother/father when they hit around 6 at puppy mills where pet shop puppies come from).

I've given three cows, five goats and part of a water pump to a couple villages in Africa.
Gave money to the victims of Katrina and Haiti earthquakes.
Donated money to breast cancer in honor of my beloved Mother In Law
Raised three men, now approaching middle age who, rescue stray cats and dogs, if you were drowning, I know for a fact they wouldn't stand around and simply watch, they would jump in and try to save you.
I have been a really good mother and pretty good wife..........hard to live with sometimes.

What makes life meaningful?

Giving, sharing, caring, making a difference in someone's life.

Yes, I have a big mouth, I tend to shoot from the hip far too often and if I have any regrets in my life it is the times (too many) where I have said something mean, hateful or sarcastic vs. keeping my big mouth shut.

For me, having a big diamond ring doesn't make me feel as happy as having shared the cost of a digging a well and putting in a pump for some distant village where people had to walk miles just to get some water.

Or bringing in extra food and other stuff for people that have a lot less than me.

I have always felt my life had meaning when I have been a service to others vs. service to self.

Again, I have a lot of faults, I'm cranky (sometimes), impatient, don't regulate and control myself in certain areas, I like nice things and have to work very hard at controlling certain impulses I have like book shopping, and that extra glass of wine..........god I love Merlot wine

Time and money to our homeless here in America

My kids say that when I pass, the best turkey gravy and dressing will go with me

There will be squirrels maybe living in our Chinese Elm tree that don't get Squirola any more.

In other words....................the meaning to life, why are we here isn't to accumulate "things" to be the richest, most powerful or most physically beautiful person.

To me, what gives meaning to my life (and I can only speak for myself) is that I have tried to make a difference in the lives of other people and "animals".

Life is only worthless if you live it for yourself with no regard or caring for others...........that's my own opinion and I'm sticking with it.

I've over spent this Christmas, something I said I wouldn't do...........I'm trying to be more financially responsible but my dog's sister was hit by a truck because her foster mother let her run loose in the front yard while getting the mail..............stupid, duhhhh what do people expect when they allow a domestic animal that has no comprehension of street danger (some breeds have more sense about cars - English Pointers don't - they see a squirrel or rabbit and they will cross any street without looking both ways.

The vet bill was 5k, I donated way more than I should have but this dog is exactly like my dog, a really sweet, gentle little girl that is looking for that forever home............I would adopt her but we can only afford one dog.

Joy is a Pointer Foster thru www.PointerRescue.org. She was hit by a truck around December 6th and survived with a broken hip and a back leg. In the video above she is the little brown and white excited, dancing one.

Joy is a Pointer Foster thru www.PointerRescue.org. She was hit by a truck December 6 and sustained injuries to her hip and back leg.
www.wishuponahero.com...
helpjoywalk.chipin.com...
edit on 26-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar...............A simple geniune smile to a passing stranger could actually change a person from thinking suicide to keep on trying. A simple act of kindness can mean so much.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Everyone's life is meaningless, except yours; I find the same to be true.

But I've found joy in art and the power of creation. I now search for beauty, mock stupidity, create worlds, make meaningful connections, take part in carnal pleasures and attack objective thought for pure joy. I challenge my mind, hone my body, learn constantly, test my boundaries, re-evaluate values and create my own path for the purpose of becoming the artist of my life. It's my will to power where I find meaning in life.

edit on 26-12-2011 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
create my own path for the purpose of becoming the artist of my life

edit on 26-12-2011 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

Thats it in a nutshell!

edit on 26-12-2011 by LunaKat because: formatted incorrectly

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join