It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Voted "AYE" (Yes) To MLK Holiday. House Vote #625, December 5th, 1979. And Rosa Parks. Ra

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
House Vote #578 (Nov 13, 1979)

And Ron Paul voted NO to creating an MLK holiday.

Congrats on finding that vote! I couldn't find it yesterday. So Paul DID vote Nay on the original 1979 bill AND the 1980s bill.

From the OP:

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
If someone was a closet racist, wouldn't they have found some way to vote "NAY"...?

Ron Paul voted Nay.
I'm not saying he's a racist, either, but you kind of set a trap here and then got caught in it.
And you caught your friend, Ron Paul, in it, too!
edit on 12/27/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by FlyersFan

It doesn't show him to be racist. It shows he mismanaged and got lazy. (which isn't presidental)

Because Presidents don't use ghost writers?

No. Because presidents use ghost writers but the keep better track of what is said by the ghost writers and they keep watch over what their name is officially put on.

backatchya

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Now regarding the explanation for Paul's vote against honoring Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, that it's a waste of tax payer money, has he been consistent in this with all other congressional honors? I think this may be well worth the research. Ron Paul also voted against honoring Ronald Reagan in 2002, so in all fairness, his reasons may verywell be legitimate in this case.

Gotta' agree with Southern Guardian. Just because Ron Paul didn't vote for the MLK Holiday being a paid holiday off doesn't make the guy a racist. Ron Paul is well known for not wanting to spend tax payer monies. He has voted against paid holidays before ... and he was color blind in doing so.

Looks to me like he split the difference. He voted for a holiday to recognize MLK, and made sure the tax payer and the business man didn't have to fork out money to support the holiday by making the holiday on a Sunday.

At this point it is impossible to know what his thoughts were at the time. But considering his voting record and what he has said about spending money .... I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that it's a typical Ron Paul money saving thing and not a racist thing.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Even if this was true, and AYE vote would show a lack of racism. I've known real bad racists in my life - and they would have abstained from the vote all-together. An AYE vote to change MLK to a Sunday (a religious day) would have been pretty disgusting to a racist.

Per the question of honoring Rosa Parks and others with the Congressional Gold Medal; as stated above, RP considered it a waste of taxpayer money. He offered each time to donate $100 of his own money to help pay for it. He said that if each member of congress did the same, it would have been paid for without a penny from the American Taxpayer being spent.
edit on 27-12-2011 by therealdemoboy because: Rosa Parks Medal

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
RON PAUL is for the people. So I can see that happening.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by therealdemoboy

Even if this was true, and AYE vote would show a lack of racism.

You can only say that if you are willing to say that a No vote on the MLK holiday bill shows racism.

I am of the opinion that neither vote shows racism or lack thereof. You are the one trying to indicate that his vote makes him innocent of racism. The thought is ludicrous to me.

I've known real bad racists in my life - and they would have abstained from the vote all-together.

So, as long as Paul isn't a "Real bad racist", it's ok? As long as he's just a lightweight racist, you feel ok to support him?

Honey, you've dug this hole just about as deep as it can get. Let it go.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

1) I'm using common sense. You're playing a word game.
2) I'm sure as hell not your honey.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
The medal of honor is for military only. They suggested that they give her the congressional gold medal. And seeing how Regan openly supported terrorist while he was in office deserved a pair of handcuffs not a medal.

Reagan was just a face and mouthpiece. He did not do anything or said anything, he did not get off a script.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
RON PAULnomics > reaganomics

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by therealdemoboy

Even if this was true, and AYE vote would show a lack of racism.

You can only say that if you are willing to say that a No vote on the MLK holiday bill shows racism.

I am of the opinion that neither vote shows racism or lack thereof. You are the one trying to indicate that his vote makes him innocent of racism. The thought is ludicrous to me.

I've known real bad racists in my life - and they would have abstained from the vote all-together.

So, as long as Paul isn't a "Real bad racist", it's ok? As long as he's just a lightweight racist, you feel ok to support him?

Honey, you've dug this hole just about as deep as it can get. Let it go.

I am a 38yr old white male, my wife and i have been a foster parent for a few years now, we live in a small Mayberry type community. 5 of my children have been African American. I worked in the city, so i worked with a lot of minorities, i have only known of 3 minorities to ever live in my town. But who do you think was racist to me? Take a guess.......
No one in my town ever had a bad think to say about me or my kids. But guess who did, the minorities i worked with.
Why? Your guess is as good as mine, they took every chance they could to try to say demeaning things to me, for instance:
1 Thought it would be fun to get yourself a slave huh......
2 That kids wont know what its like to be black, you don't even listen to rap.......

Not once could they not understand that they were the ones being racist, they were making me feel like i should be treating my kids different because of color. Did i NO. Should i have? NO Would i have voted for MLK day? NO.
Why?
I was late once on MLK day to work, we were not allowed to take that day off, and i got a point for being late.
My buddy who is black just didn't come in. Did he get a point? NO
I asked why and was told "He's black, your not" direct quote.
What does that teach people that say they want to be treated equal? Because i would have voted no too, whether it was for a white person or a black person.
Come on people it is the 21st century
Ron Paul 2012!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join