It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Voted "AYE" (Yes) To MLK Holiday. House Vote #625, December 5th, 1979. And Rosa Parks. Ra

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

When I posted in another thread relating to Ron Paul and made a point not actually relating to Ron Paul but to racists and racism in general, I was jumped on by RP fans and people just seem to attack anyone they perceive is against RP.

What is going on??

The guy is a politician.... he lies, cheats and will tell you anything you want to hear to get you to vote for him.

Well, if what you said involved anything like that last bit, I can understand their reaction, especially if there seemed to be an association between Paul and the racism you were discussing.

As far as what's going on? Granted, a good many of them (mainly the youngers) do tend to get WAY too carried away with it, but they're excited because they actually have an option they can feel good about this time, bringing them back into the political process.

It is somewhat similar to the case with Obama, but not quite as Ron Paul had a much longer public record, and much higher level of consistency over the decades. Obama - well, I and others were able to rightly call that there would be too much continuation of Bush and too much big government with him. It's not that Obama was somehow tricky, but people just weren't paying attention (and he did pretty much completely welch on the getting out of Iraq immediately, closing Gitmo, and some other noticeable promises).

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Voting for it, against it, or obstaining...I don't see how any choice could determine if he was racist.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Well, if what you said involved anything like that last bit, I can understand their reaction, especially if there seemed to be an association between Paul and the racism you were discussing.

Well I didn't, I literally said nothing about RP at all.
Just about the OP claiming that a racist Dr. wouldn't treat Black patients.

I made no reference to whether RP was or wasn't racist.

But then this is the problem with fanatics and blind believers, you cannot rationalise with them.

Here are my posts in the other thread just so you can see.

This was my first post in that thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And you can follow it.

My point is, people get so jumped up and uppity.

Oh well

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It doesn't perplex me anymore. I'm starting to see it for what it is... Of course, I'll keep my thoughts to myself on that. Let's just say that I'm glad ATS isn't representative of the voting public as a whole.

Well perhaps perplexed isn't the right word, I just find it odd, alien and silly.
I'm not fanatical about anything really... I like a lot of stuff but I'm not fanatical and I don't idolise anyone, be they a musician, politician or whatever.

So I just don't get it all.

Although I understand your comment is more subtle and you mean you know why they're doing it.

I'd be interested in your theory.

Gimme a shout.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Ah, sorry. I thought you said your post was relating to Ron Paul, you meant the thread itself, and they were already on the defensive. Not justified, still - for whatever it's worth, I'll offer apologies for the more excitable amongst Paul's support.

It is worth noting that the...'more vocal'...supporters of Paul are not typically representative, as most Paul supporters are just normal folks. Being on the internet gives a disproportionate share to a certain subset of us. Sorry for the unpleasant face sometimes presented. I've long agreed that some Paul supporters are likely his own worst enemies, sadly.

Take care.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

reply to post by filosophia

And some people are blind to the facts and support him regardless. He didn't vote for a MLK holiday, he voted to change the date. That's all. He wanted it to be on a SUNDAY... Why, I wonder...

So that government wouldn't have yet another day to do nothing? Besides the other 364, of course.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

en.m.wikipedia.org...

This should clear up the confusion. MLK jr day was to be on his birthday, but because of a previous act of congress federal holidays are to fall on monday. The OP's first link shows the bill passed, but was changed from mlk's birthday to monday because of the uniform monday holiday act.
edit on 26-12-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

Govtrack says the bill passed but wikipedia says it fell five votes short, so maybe it failed in the senate. Either way it was the only bill of its kind and was later made official through a petition.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

So the fact remains that Ron Paul voted for the mlk jr bill despite it not passing. But hes still a racist, right? Lol.

edit on 26-12-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

That's what I was getting at. He voted YES on an MLK Bill period. A man who is a strict Constitutionalist (in his interpretation) who says NO to everything beyond the Federal scope (A personal Holiday for individuals).

It doesn't matter that the Bill was not the final MLK Bill itself.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Voting for it, against it, or obstaining...I don't see how any choice could determine if he was racist.

It was Martin Luther King Jr. The 'leader' of the Civil Rights push. The most notable black man of the 20th Century?

I think it's pretty relevant...

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Personally I was a Ron Paul supporter since 2003-2004. I have been following him longer than most on the 'bandwagon'.

I know what you say about Ron Paul voters being 'personality cultish' at times.

I do take it personally and get defensive because after all my study of his policy and theory I came to the deduction even more over time that he is the only LOGICAL choice in the field. I've looked for corruption, lies, nefarious actions of his and found NONE, this 'newsletter' thing has been the only questionable thing I've seen in 8 years of studying this man.

I'm also a Pro Choice, borderline Atheist, so I have my disagreements with his take on things, and I don't trust Christians in office per se.....but to me he's different and such a profound ideas compared to all others that I sometimes feel I have NOBODY else to feel enthused about.

Can that cloud my judgement and could it be bias? Of course. And I've told myself several times to also be mindful that people are fallible.

But I get angry (personally) that a man who is as close to what we would call "good" or populist, or honest, gets bashed, lied about, libeled, smeared, slandered, ignored, and he STILL keeps coming on.

I don't like seeing people who in my opinion can actually make real change and challenge the system, being bullied. I'm protective of him that way. Also because he's older and every time I see him I've never gotten the vibe of a dishonest or malevolent person.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Ron Paul is awesome for everyone on the whatever side of the partisan fence
he said nay to congress to have a Rosa Parks medal, because the cost of it shouldn't go to the taxpayers without their conscent

then he offered to donate from his own pocket to a pool of dollars that every congressman(woman) would donate to to pay for the medal

I mean that's some serious for the people class

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
What is looking irrefutable to me is that whatever his personal beliefs, in the past Ron Paul (like some other libertarians) was not above using inflammatory language to appeal to fringe constituencies. In other words, playing political games like everyone else.

If he did indeed vote for MLK day, he also criticized it to those groups and individuals who wanted to hear that.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMarvel
What is looking irrefutable to me is that whatever his personal beliefs, in the past Ron Paul (like some other libertarians) was not above using inflammatory language to appeal to fringe constituencies. In other words, playing political games like everyone else.

If he did indeed vote for MLK day, he also criticized it to those groups and individuals who wanted to hear that.

But 'he' didn't write it. That's the whole point of the newsletter debacle.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Either way dont you think a racist would not want the holiday altogether?

Yes, I do. Paul voted AGAINST the actual MLK holiday bill. Source

A BILL AMENDING TITLE 5, UNITED STATES CODE TO MAKE THE BIRTHDAY OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., A LEGAL PUBLIC HOLIDAY.

Nay TX-22 Paul, Ronald [R]

I do not celebrate holidays at all... So, no, I don't celebrate MLK day, but I support it as a holiday.

I love how Ron Paul supporters won't acknowledge that he actually voted against the holiday.

So I will repeat it once more...maybe they'll get it this time. Ron Paul voted AGAINST MLK day becoming a holiday...he voted for it being changed to a different day after it passed.

I love how Ron Paul logic means that he isn't a racist.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

I love how Ron Paul supporters won't acknowledge that he actually voted against the holiday.

Wrong. I`ll acknowledge it. Its easy to acknowledge if its a fact. Id have supported an MLK Holiday, but my Presidential Candidate does not have to agree with me on everything.
edit on 26-12-2011 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Benevolent Heretic is correct - Ron Paul voted NO to the bill to make MLK a holiday.

Here is the roll call vote :

House Vote #578 (Nov 13, 1979)
TO SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS H.R. 5461, DESIGNATING THE BIRTHDAY OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. A LEGAL PUBLIC HOLIDAY. (MOTION PASSED:2/3 REQUIRED)

Ron Paul voted no - as did the majority of Republicans.

The OP linked to the roll call vote to MOVE the holiday (after it was passed) to another date. That vote shows no bearing on what Ron Paul thinks of the MLK holiday, other than wanting it moved to a Sunday.

I think the OP needs to amend their post title to reflect the TRUTH. I've seen this topic already gaining a viral nature among RP supporters ("RP voted in favor of MLK") and it's simply not true.

I don't care what your position is on RP, but at least be HONEST.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

This is correct.

The problem is that Congress is too free with everyone else's money. National holidays allow government workers to sit at home on our dime.

Think thats stupid (not directed at you Benevolent Heretic), of-course you do because we have become conditioned to the government wasting money.

"Well I dont buy it, I think hes a racist". Ok, then why did he vote against giving Mother Teresa a medal? Now he hates White missionaries? Its because he's a fiscal conservative. Right after the vote, he asked Congressmen to pony up their own money to give her a medal and guess how many wanted to do that, ZERO.

They love to spend YOUR money just not their own.

Everyone of Ron Paul's positions can be explained logically but the simple minded or those with an agenda, just aren't interested.
edit on 26-12-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
But 'he' didn't write it.

Which is a total cop-out of an explanation IMHO.

This is becoming more and more obvious as new information comes out.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
But I get angry (personally) that a man who is as close to what we would call "good" or populist, or honest, gets bashed, lied about, libeled, smeared, slandered, ignored, and he STILL keeps coming on.

Every presidential candidate has to go through this. We're vetting the candidates.

"Good" is a relative term. There are things Paul wants to do that I would consider VERY good! There are things Obama wants to do that I consider VERY good. Each person has to weigh it out and see what they decide. I love Paul's foreign policy, but as someone else said, his domestic policy is not my cup of tea.

Also because he's older and every time I see him I've never gotten the vibe of a dishonest or malevolent person.

I used to feel the same way, not because he's old, but because his stated policies have been so consistent. But watching him respond to this newsletter thing was really unsettling for me. And there are several other reasons I don't think I'll be voting for him.

reply to post by PaxVeritas

You are incorrect, as is filosophia. Ron Paul voted against the establishment of the holiday (in 1983). The bill you site in your OP is a bill to change the day of the holiday (that hadn't been yet established). That's all. He never voted FOR an MLK holiday.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Everyone is a racist to someone somewhere in your life. At one time you've expressed dislike for someone due to their skin color, way of life, or maybe their belief system.

Lie and say you haven't.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
My original intent was to show that Ron Paul voted YES on an MLK Holiday in 1979 before the bill in 1983.

I thought it was curious how if he were such a 'racist' wouldn't he have voted straight 'no' to anything relating to MLK day before it's final passage and introduction into the House?

That is my question.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join